Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 07:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This link doesn't state that Brooklyn had the reputation as a Black Wall Street. Not saying that you're lying but there's a leap from a thriving black neighborhood, to one esteemed as a financial and economic powerhouse that was largely self-reliant. Wilmington, I think, had the most well known Black Wall Street in NC...
Parrish Street in Durham holds that honor IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 07:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Nah you gotta defend these statements about Durham. Granted, I'm not a native Carolinian, and I obviously haven't lived here 19 years straight. But from the first time I came to NC in Summer 2005 at 16, all tge way to present, I do not agree with this statement at all and find it very exaggerated for Durham, and a huge undersell on the other large NC cities. A massive undersell, because Fayetteville is never brought up in these conversations and should be----->and that should be discussed before Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh are mentioned because I don't think Durham is that close to them at all...

Also I think there's this tendency within this convo to overvalue bygone eras over modern times. This idea of Durham as this black oasis, which whether you guys realize you do this or not, this is kind of how yall illustrate it in relation to the other cities----->this imagery of Durham as this black oasis has never existed in the nearly two decades of me running around NC...
You're reading something into my statement that I never said which is Durham is tops for Black history. I'm not talking popular magnets for Black transplants nationwide and I definitely never said anything about it being an "oasis." That's not even a term or concept I utilize in these types of discussions lol.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:48 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
This link doesn't state that Brooklyn had the reputation as a Black Wall Street. Not saying that you're lying but there's a leap from a thriving black neighborhood, to one esteemed as a financial and economic powerhouse that was largely self-reliant. Wilmington, I think, had the most well known Black Wall Street in NC...

I don't know how influential Durham is outside of Durham and Orange. Greensboro is certainly influential but I don't think it's more influential for us than Raleigh or Charlotte, but it's probably right after both. For one, just more black people from anywhere are going to Raleigh and Charlotte than Gso, Gso isn't winning the draw/pull battle by volume nor percentage over either, so you can't make a claim for it as more influential in the respect of, which cities are influencing more black people to move to them. Clearly, more black people overall, and black people from more places, are going to Charlotte and Raleigh, than to Greensboro...

What I will say is that almost all the large Carolina cities have a strong black presence. In terms of unique events or occasions that are specified towards us, Greensboro isn't leading the pack there, either. A&T is one of the most popular HBCUs period, its a Top 10 HBCU, and is wildly popular amongst those of us who went the HBCU route or worked in education. Raleigh and Charlotte have elite black infrastructure without an A&T in those places, and I dont use the word "elite" lightly----->strictly in terms of best cities for black people, Charlotte and Raleigh are elite...

Then you gotta remember that most of us as a community, aren't in education, didn't go to university, and are otherwise oblivious to what A&T means within that insular group. So while A&T is influential locally and within its genre of black colleges, that influence is insular and not really tangible outside of those connected to that culture...

In my lifetime of 19 years in and out of NC, Greensboro has always been the third city to Raleigh and Charlotte. That holds true today, and is true when specifically talking about black influence in NC. And that's taking nothing away from Greensboro, I definitely think its a step above Durham as a black magnet. Durham is the only one of the major Carolina cities losing black people. It certainly has a strong history locally, but I've said this for nearly two decades, people really overrate Durham, both as just a city in general, and in this case, you're overrating it's influence within Black Carolina...

I don't know if there's a close third to Greensboro, maybe Columbia? But I'd say Fayetteville has arguably more pull and influence with Black Carolinians as Durham, without all of the built in advantages that Durham has...
It clearly states in the link that it was a thriving self sustaining town in a town..smh..you can also google more links.
https://guides.library.charlotte.edu...g-box-14467597

Old 04-12-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I stand corrected on your familiarity with UHOP which means you get points subtracted for omitting it lol, and I've been to Friendship a few times (Dr. Jones is frat) including once at the old sanctuary across the street Y'all's stained-glass window imagery is simply the best and deserves an exhibit at NMAAHC real talk. Back in the day, Salem was my stomping grounds while in undergrad and that's when I began learning about Charlotte's local history and culture in particular.

But you can be a tad bit boostersh and overly defensive about Charlotte sometimes whether you admit it or not, especially if Raleigh or Nashville are in the conversation lol. But I've not said anything about Charlotte that's exaggerated or untrue. I think it's impressive that Charlotte is a magnet for Black professionals even without a well-known Black cultural base to pull from, especially considering the role of CIAA in this phenomenon which was amazing to witness up close and personally back in the day.
Lol yep Dr. Jones is awesome we also share the same birthday. Yep the old church is where I went as a kid and actually that is the second building on that site. It was renovated around 1990. It's not that I am ultra defensive it's just that SOME of the Nashville and Raleigh boosters will downplay Charlotte in order to boost their cities. I truly understand that as far as being a national brand Charlotte even for a top 20 metro is really the new kid on the block but there is alot more here than what alot of people know. It's cool that you are actually interested in the history of the city.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:25 PM

358 posts, read 620,808 times
Quote:
In my lifetime of 19 years in and out of NC, Greensboro has always been the third city to Raleigh and Charlotte. That holds true today, and is true when specifically talking about black influence in NC. And that's taking nothing away from Greensboro, I definitely think its a step above Durham as a black magnet. Durham is the only one of the major Carolina cities losing black people. It certainly has a strong history locally, but I've said this for nearly two decades, people really overrate Durham, both as just a city in general, and in this case, you're overrating it's influence within Black Carolina...

I don't know if there's a close third to Greensboro, maybe Columbia? But I'd say Fayetteville has arguably more pull and influence with Black Carolinians as Durham, without all of the built in advantages that Durham has...
As a life long North Carolina resident, Greensboro being the third city to Raleigh is fairly new. In the 90s, Greensboro was the city! A&T homecoming, all the events at the Greensboro coliseum (concerts held at Spectrum Center in Charlotte now would have been at Greensboro coliseum back then), and the club scene was hopping too. Not sure how Raleigh came and took the crown away from Greensboro but it didn't happen until the early 2000s - just my 2 cents.

Old 04-13-2024, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
As a life long North Carolina resident, Greensboro being the third city to Raleigh is fairly new. In the 90s, Greensboro was the city! A&T homecoming, all the events at the Greensboro coliseum (concerts held at Spectrum Center in Charlotte now would have been at Greensboro coliseum back then), and the club scene was hopping too. Not sure how Raleigh came and took the crown away from Greensboro but it didn't happen until the early 2000s - just my 2 cents.
You are right Greensboro was much better than. I'm an Aggie from '98. Back then Greensboro would have definitely been #2 in the state behind Charlotte. Greensboro back then had a much stronger appeal and better energy than Raleigh. I miss that Greensboro.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Lol yep Dr. Jones is awesome we also share the same birthday. Yep the old church is where I went as a kid and actually that is the second building on that site. It was renovated around 1990. It's not that I am ultra defensive it's just that SOME of the Nashville and Raleigh boosters will downplay Charlotte in order to boost their cities. I truly understand that as far as being a national brand Charlotte even for a top 20 metro is really the new kid on the block but there is alot more here than what alot of people know. It's cool that you are actually interested in the history of the city.
You are super defensive and boosterish of Charlotte bruh. Multiple people have told you this, it's you, not them lol. You go way too hard at any perceived slight----->emphasis on perceived. Because it's not always justified...

Raleigh and Charlotte suffer the same perception issues in terms of branding. It's also true that there are plenty of Triangle posters (they not all from Raleigh) who are similarly over the top and defensive...

Raleigh is probably a Top 40 US city but the perception of it as such is gonna take awhile to catch on, just like Charlotte, which I may have been the first person on here calling it a Top 20 city nearly a decade ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
100%! I'm familiar that Raleigh being the #2 city here is really recent, and of Greensboro's historic stature as #2. That's why I specify my time here, the 19 years. Because I've never lived in an NC where Greensboro was larger or more esteemed than Raleigh---->but I do know that time once existed!

I think it's an interesting case study in how Raleigh lapped Greensboro, probably a variety of factors. I do know the hockey team was close to moving to Gso but chose Rgh instead, I know PNC was built which influenced a bunch of events that would've skipped here, to come here, and both of those were in the 90s. So I'm sure those have a role, as well as the economic strategizing of the same era that positioned Rgh differently to blossom into what it is today...

Old 04-13-2024, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're reading something into my statement that I never said which is Durham is tops for Black history. I'm not talking popular magnets for Black transplants nationwide and I definitely never said anything about it being an "oasis." That's not even a term or concept I utilize in these types of discussions lol.
You're right, you did specify "history" but I guess my thoughts are also reading the "and culture" as specified within the thread title, so I'm thinking in a broader sense. People on here have often jumped to Durham for NC black culture and I just don't think it's as influential as the other 3 cities, which have wider influence that goes beyond just attracting black transplants. I just was making that point, I could keep going...

I've said this many times before, Durham is essentially Fayetteville with the stimulus of having Duke, and being adjacent to The Capital; re:in The Triangle. It's location and having an elite national university can't be understood, they impact the city in a way that is impossible for Fayetteville...

But the black culture and communities of both cities may be the two most similar in NC. My oldest kids' mom, who lives in Raleigh but works in Durham, literally said this the other day unprovoked when we were at our daughters' ballet: "Durham and Fayetteville are the same people". And she was talking about us, black folk. I was saying this on here years ago and I still believe it to be true...

Fayetteville is a magnet for Southeast NC over a wider geography in a way Durham maybe never could be, being boxed in between Raleigh and Greensboro. There's definitely an influence country black folk from those rural surrounding counties have towards Fayetteville. And Fayetteville's history itself, now I don't think they ever had a black wall street, but there have long been established black neighborhoods there too...

I think if people really spend time in the community in both cities, and pare into the characteristics of both, its largely the same city. One has Duke and the economic benefits of its location, and one doesn't...

Neither are as influential as the Top 3...

Old 04-13-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You are super defensive and boosterish of Charlotte bruh. Multiple people have told you this, it's you, not them lol. You go way too hard at any perceived slight----->emphasis on perceived. Because it's not always justified...

Raleigh and Charlotte suffer the same perception issues in terms of branding. It's also true that there are plenty of Triangle posters (they not all from Raleigh) who are similarly over the top and defensive...

Raleigh is probably a Top 40 US city but the perception of it as such is gonna take awhile to catch on, just like Charlotte, which I may have been the first person on here calling it a Top 20 city nearly a decade ago...

100%! I'm familiar that Raleigh being the #2 city here is really recent, and of Greensboro's historic stature as #2. That's why I specify my time here, the 19 years. Because I've never lived in an NC where Greensboro was larger or more esteemed than Raleigh---->but I do know that time once existed!

I think it's an interesting case study in how Raleigh lapped Greensboro, probably a variety of factors. I do know the hockey team was close to moving to Gso but chose Rgh instead, I know PNC was built which influenced a bunch of events that would've skipped here, to come here, and both of those were in the 90s. So I'm sure those have a role, as well as the economic strategizing of the same era that positioned Rgh differently to blossom into what it is today...
Sir I am not super booterish and only one other person(Mutiny) said it in this thread and then when I explained my position all is well. It seems that when others such as yourself bring up Raleigh or sometimes Nashville in relation to Charlotte it's always downplaying Charlotte as you did with Brooklyn village( which was clearly more than just a neighborhood).Others in this thread brought up Charlotte as being a place of hqving black cutlure and history and it was immediately dismissed by a FEW people.Sir there are booster threads throughout this whole citydata that are catering to the progress of Nashville, Raleigh and Austin where boosters from those cities put down Charlotte or over exageratte their cities progress. I have no reason to lie or overcompensate for Charlotte. Raleigh, Nashville and Austin are fine cities but they have their unrealistic boosters. It's all good. I don't want a back and forth.

Old 04-13-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Sir I am not super booterish and only one other person(Mutiny) said it in this thread and then when I explained my position all is well. It seems that when others such as yourself bring up Raleigh or sometimes Nashville in relation to Charlotte it's always downplaying Charlotte as you did with Brooklyn village( which was clearly more than just a neighborhood).Others in this thread brought up Charlotte as being a place of hqving black cutlure and history and it was immediately dismissed by a FEW people.Sir there are booster threads throughout this whole citydata that are catering to the progress of Nashville, Raleigh and Austin where boosters from those cities put down Charlotte or over exageratte their cities progress. I have no reason to lie or overcompensate for Charlotte. Raleigh, Nashville and Austin are fine cities but they have their unrealistic boosters. It's all good. I don't want a back and forth.
Lmao you got it, g!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City