Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you think is more influential?
Washington DC 19 31.15%
New York 37 60.66%
Tie 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 AM

80 posts, read 145,998 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities is more influential on the world? I personally cant decide because whether people want to admit it or not but the papers that our president signs in the oval office in Washington DC are life altering but at the same time New York is a MAJOR force exporting and importing culture.

I also think Los Angeles is in the mix but I don't want to discuss it in this thread because I feel adding a 3rd city will make this discussion all the more broken up and messy.

Here's some stuff to consider:
- Oval office
- Wall Street
- Media
- Important people
- Influence on America
- Ties to the world

Stuff like that, if its not on the criteria and it sounds logical then its perfectly acceptable to add it into the discussion. Let the discussion begin!

As for me, I cant pick. Its like picking between red and blue, night or day, well you kind of get the point. I think they're both equally as influential at this point, especially with Obama being as huge as he is around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
I voted a tie. New York is the Financial capitol of the world. But DC is where America's Political weight comes from. New York hosts the UN, DC is the capitol of the most powerful and influencial country on earth. Perhaps DC might come out ahead by a nose but, it would certainly seem like a very close race.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:34 AM

80 posts, read 145,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I voted a tie. New York is the Financial capitol of the world. But DC is where America's Political weight comes from. New York hosts the UN, DC is the capitol of the most powerful and influencial country on earth. Perhaps DC might come out ahead by a nose but, it would certainly seem like a very close race.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. If I had to pick one on the spot then its Washington DC especially because this is election year and things are gearing up!

Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Washington by far

When the country was about to go bankrupt, who wrote the check to save the financial industry?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Ultimately Washington D.C. is vastly more influential than New York City.

Take Wallstreet and the NYSE. That's all well and good except they're regulated by all sorts of federal commissions such as the Security Exchange Commission (HQ: Washington) and the Federal Reserve System (HQ: Washington).

The biggest puppeteers may be from places like NYC, SF and Houston but their performance takes place nightly in D.C.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
NYC and its not even close. Nice D.C. boosting thread you got here tho

Old 05-06-2012, 05:12 PM
S90

21 posts, read 39,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Ultimately Washington D.C. is vastly more influential than New York City.

Take Wallstreet and the NYSE. That's all well and good except they're regulated by all sorts of federal commissions such as the Security Exchange Commission (HQ: Washington) and the Federal Reserve System (HQ: Washington).

The biggest puppeteers may be from places like NYC, SF and Houston but their performance takes place nightly in D.C.
Isn't the Federal Reserve headquartered in Europe actually? I've heard that before but don't really know for sure.

More powerful? Definitely New York

More influential? Definitely Washington

Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I think London is actually the largest financial center in the world. NYC is a close second.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
New York. Politicians get their marching orders from the money men.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
I would go with NY. Financial center of USA. Media center of USA. Food (restaurants) capital of USA. Largest city and metro area in the U.S. The UN is located there. Has to be a co-entertainment capital of USA along with LA. NY has Broadway and all the associated playhouses and the like.

NY definitely gets more attention I feel like worldwide. I have found any time I talk to a foreigner and ask what cities that have visited, or would like to visit, NYC is always mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City