Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Some of us moved back after leaving as kids fresh out of school. A lot of the people I graduated with ended up in different states... most of those, are back somewhere in Michigan.

Not all cities are dying, some are quite vibrant and doing well. But you don't like MI so I'm not going to argue the point any further.
I have nothing personal against the state. I just find a lot of humorous irony in the posts here. So many talking about how great Michigan is but they made sure to move at the first chance. And no, not every place in Michigan is dying, but the ones people actually know tend to be, and the state as a whole lost people during the last census, the only state in the nation to do so. You can have the most beautiful scenery imaginable, but if your cities suck and there are no jobs, it doesn't really matter. Not saying Ohio is doing immensely better, but the state still grew, unemployment in its largest 3 cities is lower the national average, and it has at least one large city still showing strong growth, with the other two starting to see more and more resurgance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 AM

35 posts, read 65,649 times
Michigan has Mackinac Island, The U.P., the West Coast, Frankenmuth, Michigan's Adventure.....the list goes on.

Ohio has......Cedar Point.

Yeah, Michigan hands down.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Please! if you loved Detroit you would have kept your little comment. Like I said. Plenty of Michiganders are dying to move away from MICHIGAN not just Detroit. Most MI cities are either bad and no different than Detroit or have nice neighborhoods with nothing it or boring rural areas.
Coming from someone who's never made it past 8 Mile.......

Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander1987 View Post
Michigan has Mackinac Island, The U.P., the West Coast, Frankenmuth, Michigan's Adventure.....the list goes on.

And Kings Island, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Football Hall of Fame, the Hocking Hills, Put in Bay, etc. One of the richest histories of any state in the US... Yeah... you must not get out much, and certainly haven't done any research.

It's intersting you mention the UP, also, considering that it was given to Michigan as a consolation prize for losing the Ohio/Michigan "war."

Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 AM

Well, let's see....

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - on my bucket list

Tahquamenon Falls > Hocking Hills

Mackinac Island > Put In Bay

Kings Island - eh, it's okay.

Football Hall of Fame - nice, if you're a football fan. Give me Cooperstown any day.

And I've actually been to OH many times, while you've apparently never been north of Toledo. For someone who has "nothing against" MI, you're certainly biased.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 AM

79 posts, read 238,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not really. I see a lot of posts in this thread from people from Michigan who no longer live there. If it's so beautiful and amazing, why is it that you all moved away?

Where the cities are dying and even the people that like the state move away: Pure Michigan.

Well, for me personally, I have moved so many times in my life that I have a hard time staying in one place for very long. I love Michigan, it will always be home to me, but I wanted to see more. I live in another amazing state now, one that also gets a lot of hate from ignorant people. You have a right to your opinion, but putting words in other people's mouths is uncalled for. Maybe Michiganders just tend to be a bit more adventurous than you.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Well, let's see....

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - on my bucket list

Tahquamenon Falls > Hocking Hills

Mackinac Island > Put In Bay

Kings Island - eh, it's okay.

Football Hall of Fame - nice, if you're a football fan. Give me Cooperstown any day.

And I've actually been to OH many times, while you've apparently never been north of Toledo. For someone who has "nothing against" MI, you're certainly biased.
Of course I'm biased, I live in Ohio. And don't tell me you're not considering your nickname and posts, so give me a break. And yes, I have been to Michigan and was never particularly impressed. There are some nice natural attractions, but I didn't find them so spectacular that they couldn't be found here in a comparable form. Bias aside, Ohio beats Michigan in just about every catergory, from GDP, employment, attractions, population, growth, etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
Well, for me personally, I have moved so many times in my life that I have a hard time staying in one place for very long. I love Michigan, it will always be home to me, but I wanted to see more. I live in another amazing state now, one that also gets a lot of hate from ignorant people. You have a right to your opinion, but putting words in other people's mouths is uncalled for. Maybe Michiganders just tend to be a bit more adventurous than you.
Actually, I've lived in 5 states and a foreign country. The difference is, I actually thought Ohio was good enough to come back to. I will probably live other places in the future, but I will also always come back.

And honestly, I have never seen Oregon get the kind of hate that anyplace in the Midwest does, including Ohio/Michigan. That's just a silly statement.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I have nothing personal against the state. I just find a lot of humorous irony in the posts here. So many talking about how great Michigan is but they made sure to move at the first chance. And no, not every place in Michigan is dying, but the ones people actually know tend to be, and the state as a whole lost people during the last census, the only state in the nation to do so. You can have the most beautiful scenery imaginable, but if your cities suck and there are no jobs, it doesn't really matter. Not saying Ohio is doing immensely better, but the state still grew, unemployment in its largest 3 cities is lower the national average, and it has at least one large city still showing strong growth, with the other two starting to see more and more resurgance.
Granted, Michigan's going through some tough economic times but every city/state goes through cycles. It won't always be 2003 in Detroit. It will take time to extract itself (talking urban Michigan here, primarily East and Southeast M) from the mire, and repurpose itself, but it will.

At the very same time, nothing will change the uniqueness of Michigan's physical presence, two peninsulas surrounded by four Great Lakes. One could make an honest argument that Michigan is among the top 10-15 most scenic/unique States in the country. It also has an incredibly diverse topography/terra/climate making it especially favorable for many types of agriculture, i.e., fruit growing, wine grapes, et.c which is truly unique in this part of the country.

Also, we have University of Michigan which in itself is a magnet and engine for the state. Ohio has nothing close, Ohio State is -- at best-- a marginal academic school that happens to have a borderline professional-grade athletics program. The upper half of the state-- north of Clare-- is frigging drop-dead gorgeous (the lower interior half, not so much).

Granted, I'm biased, but Ohio is important as a no-frills, economic engine for the U.S., but it may be the most white bread state outside of Nebraska. Ohio has nothing to compete with Mackinaw Island, the West Coast of Michigan, the UP (in it wild vastness), Traverse City and environment and on and on. Nothing, and it's not even close. Michigan, with all its faults (and yes, outside of Detroit), is a charming to the nth, unique and unlike any other state, and these attributes are inherent and an intrinsic part of the makeup. Ohio is East Indiana.

Last edited by BigLake; 05-12-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:

Ohio has far more than Cedar Point; here are a few more:

- Ohio's Amish Country is absolutely beautiful and tranquil
- The stunning architecture, parks, museums and riverboats of Cincinnati
- The elite, world-class museums of Cleveland
- The Cleveland Orchestra, among the Big Five in the U.S.
- German Village in Columbus
- Little Italy in Cleveland
- Mount Adams in Cincinnati
- Picture postcard-perfect college campuses at Miami U. in Oxford, Wooster, Denison, Ohio U. in Athens, Muskingum, Kenyon, Oberlin, Antioch, etc.
- The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
- Kelleys Island
- Hocking Hills
- Columbus and Cincinnati zoos (both among the top 10 in the U.S.)

And Ohio is closer to the East Coast and Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City