Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:09 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, Michigan is as exotic as the Amazon
Michigan actually is a really nice outdoor state. Go watch Kidrock's music video of the song "Born free." That's all michigan outdoors in the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And more exciting than driving I-75 from Toledo to Dayton, or I-70 from Dayton to Columbus. Gotta love all those hills and lakefront homes in Columbus !
I prefer jobs and night life. If I go camping, which I do several times a year, there are plenty of places within an hour's drive to do so.

Michigan is not exactly unpopulated, pristine wilderness. The state has some natural beauty, but some of you act like it's the wilds of Alaska. Besides some of the better areas along the lakeshore, there doesn't seem to be anything in particular that Ohio doesn't have in similar form. And Michigan doesn't have the Appalachian foothills.

And the drive along 75 in lower Michigan is probably one of the ugliest in the country outside of I-95 in Jersey.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
I'll take Ohio if only for its cities. And Great Lakes beer.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM

35 posts, read 65,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
so because I live in Detroit I never crossed 8mile?
You basically trashed the entire state except Detroit. That alone makes me wonder. And what the hell does "smh" mean? I mean really. And you say I sound stupid? Do you actually read your own posts?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,508 times
Ohio is very nice, but I like Michigan more... Spent a good chunk of time in both...

Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigander1987 View Post
You basically trashed the entire state except Detroit. That alone makes me wonder. And what the hell does "smh" mean? I mean really. And you say I sound stupid? Do you actually read your own posts?
why don't you look it up?

I don't give a damn about anything outside of Detroit in this boring ass state

Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I prefer jobs and night life. If I go camping, which I do several times a year, there are plenty of places within an hour's drive to do so.

Michigan is not exactly unpopulated, pristine wilderness. The state has some natural beauty, but some of you act like it's the wilds of Alaska. Besides some of the better areas along the lakeshore, there doesn't seem to be anything in particular that Ohio doesn't have in similar form. And Michigan doesn't have the Appalachian foothills.

And the drive along 75 in lower Michigan is probably one of the ugliest in the country outside of I-95 in Jersey.

Most of Michigan has a low population density. A vast majority of Michigans population lives in 3 or 4 counties in the southeast corner of the state. Without a doubt Michigan outside of the metro Detroit area is much much less populated than most of Ohio, and it is almost all farms and woodland. If you are talking about Upper Michigan then I would call that a pristine wilderness. Ohio has nothing like that for sure. Now as for the drive along I-75, come on it does not look like New Jersey. ONLY Detroit proper looks as bad as you say, and yes you folks in Ohio have Detroit to use against us like a club. We ADMIT Detroit is nasty, but there is nothing we can do about it. I-75 south of Detroit is AS BORING as it is in OHio. North of Detroit it begins to improve very quickly as you get away from the city. There are areas just 30 miles or so north of Detroit that are rolling hills and woods, so NO it DOES NOT look like New Jersey. By the way Michigan is a tourist mecca for the entire midwest because of its natural beauty. Ohio cannot say the same. Ohio and Michigan are hard to compare anyway, Michigan is an upper midwest state that is completly different from Ohio which is lower midwest/Ohio valley. The land is different, the people are different. They are like apples and oranges.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Most of Michigan has a low population density. A vast majority of Michigans population lives in 3 or 4 counties in the southeast corner of the state. Without a doubt Michigan outside of the metro Detroit area is much much less populated than most of Ohio, and it is almost all farms and woodland. If you are talking about Upper Michigan then I would call that a pristine wilderness. Ohio has nothing like that for sure. Now as for the drive along I-75, come on it does not look like New Jersey. ONLY Detroit proper looks as bad as you say, and yes you folks in Ohio have Detroit to use against us like a club. We ADMIT Detroit is nasty, but there is nothing we can do about it. I-75 south of Detroit is AS BORING as it is in OHio. North of Detroit it begins to improve very quickly as you get away from the city. There are areas just 30 miles or so north of Detroit that are rolling hills and woods, so NO it DOES NOT look like New Jersey. By the way Michigan is a tourist mecca for the entire midwest because of its natural beauty. Ohio cannot say the same. Ohio and Michigan are hard to compare anyway, Michigan is an upper midwest state that is completly different from Ohio which is lower midwest/Ohio valley. The land is different, the people are different. They are like apples and oranges.
EVERY state outside of its largest cities is farms and woodlands. So there are not cities/towns in the UP? Interesting. The state densities are 282 ppsm for Ohio and 174 for Michigan. That sounds about right considering the 1 million extra people that live in Ohio. Both states are ranked in the top 20 densist states. So please drop this argument that Michigan is like ANWR. It's not.

All major interestate highway drives are boring (try driving through Kansas), and most of them have development near cities, particularly in higher population states. 75 in both states in no exception, but the drive through lower Michigan, imo, is the worst part in either state.

And there are places 30 miles from Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincy that are rolling hills and woodlands. Cleveland has a national park nearby.

Ohio had a tourism economy of $35.8 billion in 2009. Michigan...$15.1 billion. Michigan is not even a tourist mecca when talking about 2 states, let alone regionally or nationally. In reality, outside of Illinois (because of Chicago mostly), Ohio is at the top of the list in the Midwest and towards the top nationally.

And they are both Great Lakes states. To suggest that the culture is vastly different is baffling.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 05-17-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
smfh, thats exactly why I hate MI and Michiganders

Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
smfh, thats exactly why I hate MI and Michiganders
Then move out, not that hard to figure out you know. You do nothing but praise that craphole known as Detroit, and hate the rest of the State. Good Riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City