Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota vs. Texas: Upper Midwest vs. Western South
Minnesota 36 37.11%
Texas 58 59.79%
Neither 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

A matchup of two popular, though opposite states.

Choose based on:

Progressiveness
Economy
Culture
Music
Weather
Scenery
Cities
Rural areas
Education
Safety

I choose Minnesota.

Last edited by northstar22; 09-09-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
This isn't a very balanced match up to be honest.

Progressiveness: Tie, big cities for the win. But state wise Minnesota

Economy: Texas

Culture: Texas

Music: Texas, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, R&B, whatever works

Weather: I can do with either, so no problem

Scenery: Texas

Cities: Texas

Rural areas: Minnesota, because I like an abundance of lakes.

Education: Texas, Rice University, University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University, etc... I go to UT-Austin so yeah.

Overall: Texas all day, all night, weekends, holidays, and Snowdays But Minnesota is nice though, just not my preferred choice here.

Major city line up:

Texas:
- Houston
- Austin
- Fort Worth
- Dallas
- El Paso
- Corpus Christi
- San Antonio

Minnesota:
- Minneapolis
- Saint Paul

And I'm talking about major cities though, not smaller ones, otherwise both get quite a few more.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
An odd comparison, but I guess i can kind of see why you made the comparison after reading your post.

Progressiveness: I'm assuming your referring this in a political sense, so I would give the edge to Minnesota.

Culture: I would go with Texas because I really like our cultural diversity, but to be honest, I really don't know that much about the Minnesota culture outside of stereotypes and it's music scene.

Music: As much as it pains me to go against Bob Dylan, I'm going to have to go with Texas, BUT I can definitely see an argument for Minnesota.

Weather: TEXAS

Scenery: Texas mainly for the Hill Country and landscape diversity.

Cities: Texas. More cities and bigger cities.

Rural areas: Honestly I don't care, but I don't know how you can say one rural area is better than the other.

Education: UT,Rice, TCU, Baylor Med., I think Texas wins this one.

A category I would like to add is which state has friendlier people? I know that both states are known for being very friendly so I think that would be an interesting comparison.

So anyways, I think it's obvious who I think wins this one over all.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Progressiveness: Minnesota. Not even a serious argument.

Economy: This is close, but I'm going to have to give the slight nod to Minnesota

Culture: Definitely Minnesota

Music: This is basically a wash. I prefer Minnesota's music scene, but I can see how people would vote Texas.

Weather: Minnesota. Texas summers are like death.

Scenery: Minnesota. Texas has everything except northwoods, my favorite type of scenery.

Cities: Minnesota. Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio are all huge cities, but it's about quality, not quantity. Minneapolis and St. Paul beat anything in Texas.

Rural areas: Minnesota. Lakes, Great Plains, friendly Northern towns

Education: Minnesota. One of the best K-12 systems in the country.

Safety: Minnesota. Much lower violent crime rate.

Friendliness: This is very subjective. A wash. I prefer Minnesota.

Overall: MINNESOTA!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM

flyingwriter, I am going to have to ask you. Have you ever been to Texas before, or is everything you think about it from "The Regional Stereotype Almanac"? Lets be honest here, a lot of the criteria is subjective, like music, and scenery, and whatnot. But seriously? Economy? If it were a country it would have the 11th or 12th largest economy, California would have the 8th. Job creation, number of F500 companies, Millionaires, Billionaires, employment increase, Medical enhancements, etc. All these things favor Texas.

The state of Minnesota cant even compete with DFW ($383 Billion) or Houston ($403 Billion) as far as GDP goes, little alone Texas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)
Thats not an attack on Minnesota, its a very polished and clean state, and a great one too. But seriously dude, you're posts are really coming off suspicious more and more each day. Like I said besides the subjective criteria elements this is a very odd and unbalanced comparison.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Progressiveness: Minnesota. Not even a serious argument.

Economy: This is close, but I'm going to have to give the slight nod to Minnesota

Culture: Definitely Minnesota

Music: This is basically a wash. I prefer Minnesota's music scene, but I can see how people would vote Texas.

Weather: Minnesota. Texas summers are like death.

Scenery: Minnesota. Texas has everything except northwoods, my favorite type of scenery.

Cities: Minnesota. Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio are all huge cities, but it's about quality, not quantity. Minneapolis and St. Paul beat anything in Texas.

Rural areas: Minnesota. Lakes, Great Plains, friendly Northern towns

Education: Minnesota. One of the best K-12 systems in the country.

Safety: Minnesota. Much lower violent crime rate.

Friendliness: This is very subjective. A wash. I prefer Minnesota.
Overall: MINNESOTA!!!
I applaud your homerism. It's quite charming. I mean, I bet Austin alone beats Minnesota in the music category.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Minnesota.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
flyingwriter, I am going to have to ask you. Have you ever been to Texas before, or is everything you think about it from "The Regional Stereotype Almanac"? Lets be honest here, a lot of the criteria is subjective, like music, and scenery, and whatnot. But seriously? Economy? If it were a country it would have the 11th or 12th largest economy, California would have the 8th. Job creation, number of F500 companies, Millionaires, Billionaires, employment increase, Medical enhancements, etc. All these things favor Texas.

The state of Minnesota cant even compete with DFW ($383 Billion) or Houston ($403 Billion) as far as GDP goes, little alone Texas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)
Thats not an attack on Minnesota, its a very polished and clean state, and a great one too. But seriously dude, you're posts are really coming off suspicious more and more each day. Like I said besides the subjective criteria elements this is a very odd and unbalanced comparison.
Is it just me or is Texas always getting bashed on these forums?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Texas is a much larger state than Minnesota, so of course it has more "insert category here." However, Minnesota has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Is it just me or is Texas always getting bashed on these forums?
State level bashing doesn't bother me. I really laugh when people do. The three most powerful states in the country economically are California, Texas, & New York. The three largest states are California, Texas, & New York.
The three most influential states on present day politics, and US economy, along with developments are California, Texas, & New York.

States that get heat, like Georgia, California, Texas, New York, Illinois, & Florida are some of the most powerful states in the country. Doesn't have to be the best. But they are the most powerful ones. They control a lot of power in this country.

It doesn't bother me because at the end of the day I know there are haters out there that will go to extents to disprove and discredit places, people, cultures for being different.

I am Asian Indian & Singaporean, I have lived in Chicago (still do), Singapore, & in India. The stereotypes I read on this site about people from Texas is disgusting. I mean me, a person of minority background, supposedly coming from a colored background that these so called "racists" in Texas hate and stuff, and if I can have a great and successful life here then what is it to a person living in another state that has never been? I haven't ever had any racial problems in Texas. Frankly, I am not too fond of any regional culture, New England, Southern, Northern, etc.. I like International and cosmopolitan. For me Texas has been beautiful living there, so many people of so many backgrounds, different ideas. Everything's been great for me.

The criteria is good, culture, music, scenery, weather, and even cities are ALL subjective qualities. But economy & education are not.

K-12: Minnesota
Higher Ed: Texas
Safety: State wise: Minnesota, cities- Austin & El Paso are very safe cities by national level. El Paso being one of the safest in the country.

By the way, my post isn't directed to anyone here, just general this site. Lets stick to keeping things realistic here.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-10-2010 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City