Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:09 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Okay first you have the notion that I don't like Los Angeles. I love Los Angeles, it is one of my top 8 favorite cities and I am a very picky person. For me to like a place, it has to meet my needs.
I defend Los Angeles a lot on these boards.

But who am I kidding, I am not going to go out there and lie about something that is obvious.

The facts:
Los Angeles lost population in 2006 from what it had in 2005, that it regained back in 2007.
Los Angeles has a freakin unemployment rate of 12.5% that is the unhealthiest rate for any metro of its size (top 10 largest). Its only behind Detroit, Las Vegas, & Sacramento on that.

Do you honestly believe that the city will keep on growing till the eye can see with such astronomical growth rates for a city of its size? No it wont, and with that kind of economy, you bet there will be a larger net loss than net gain. Births & immigration is keeping Los Angeles in the positives, but what will happen when immigrants start finding alternative locations to head on to where they can find employment faster?

For you to deny these things are simply futile.
The ..proof of the pudding is in the..eating of the pudding..All
Recessions end one day..It's Capialism At It's Best..my friend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The ..proof of the pudding is in the..eating of the pudding..All
Recessions end one day..It's Capialism At It's Best..my friend...
No it doesn't dude. This is the same generalized American attitude that screws us over.

I am 110% positive that when Detroit saw its very first economic decline it also said "when the economy recovers we'll be flourishing again" and now look at it. It never got better for them. In fact the entire country moved on "flourishing" besides them, and look at whats happened.

I am very critical on cities that I like. You think the recession is the reason Los Angeles's economy tanked? No, although the housing crisis was one part of it. But Los Angeles's economy has seen a slow down since the late 1980's but it just blew up in the recession for the entire country to see.

How will it get better if they don't have a diverse economy? The last of their aeronautics industry is moving to Washington DC just next year taking many jobs with them. There has not been even one article saying large economic job growth for Los Angeles at all. San Francisco, Chicago, & New York City are all diverse economies some of the most in the country and have positive economic signs for a rebound and stabilization.

Los Angeles's economy will never recover until they diversify it, it just doesn't magically recover when the USA goes "oh the recession is over" thats just media talk... the cities themselves have to invest in their future first and foremost. Los Angeles has been trying to diversify its economy all of last decade, and is slowly doing it. Hopefully they will reach Chicago level economic diversity one day and will be safe and more stable during economic crisis as no large industries will take most of the hit.
Los Angeles has fared weakly due to outsource of its jobs overseas...

It needs to focus and keep its eye on getting this done, if it doesn't then yes it will be sharing a very similar life as Detroit. As harsh as that sounds, its true.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No city in the Great US Of A will ever match NYC....but Metro
LA will over take it one day....You Caught Me Smiling Again....
LA will over take it one day? I highly doubt that.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
LA will over take it one day? I highly doubt that.
Oh no, it's POSSIBLE....

.... in 20,000 years, maybe.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Oh no, it's POSSIBLE....

.... in 20,000 years, maybe.
NYC is the number one hotspot, and no city has surpassed nyc yet so i highly doubt it. NYC is the most populous city and new buildings are being created so LA passing NYC?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NYC is the number one hotspot, and no city has surpassed nyc yet so i highly doubt it. NYC is the most populous city and new buildings are being created so LA passing NYC?
Well half of that is sarcasm. I didn't know you missed that.

But still, ANYTHING is possible.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well half of that is sarcasm. I didn't know you missed that.

But still, ANYTHING is possible.
lol next time you have to put one of these lol.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In the case of South Florida, there are just so many different independent municipalities to have any one of them add 100K+. for Miami to add 73,000 is pretty impressive given that its city limits are only about 35 square miles of land.
Even among the top 13, some of these municipalities are huge in land area while others are part of metros that have a multitude of municipalities sharing the growth.
Wow! That is very impressive that Miami gained 73,000. Miami city limits are so small, maybe all that hi rise apt/condo development is filling up! When Miami city proper gains population, most of that gain would be in the downtown area, from the Grove, Brickell to the Performing arts center district. I can't think of any other areas in Miami proper that would have gained population. Miami! Caliente!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
God damn it Chicago...

But New York City, Phoenix, Houston a job well done, however they did it, annex, natural growth, whatever. Great stuff!
Well last census they estimated in 1999 that Chicago had lost quite a bit of population, and then it ended up gaining over 110,000 people. I know the 2000's had tens of thousands of new housing units built, MUCH more than were built in the 1990's - so I guess time will tell. Regardless, the city itself is much healthier than it was 15, 20, 30 years ago. The big issue here is we have a HORRIBLE rate of people participing in the census. The city and even the census conceded that they probably miss tens of thousands if not well over 100,000 people because they have trouble getting the forms sent in and people answering the doors on the west/south and portions of the southwest sides.

I'm curious how they create these numbers. They had Chicago losing 90,000 people through 2006-2007 when the economy was pretty decent in the city and they were building thousands of new housing units every year, but then they turned face and have it growing by almost 50,000 people in the past two years.

I'm lovin the New York numbers! Way to buck the trend and show impressive growth after being built-out over a half century ago.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 09-13-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
No it doesn't dude. This is the same generalized American attitude that screws us over.

I am 110% positive that when Detroit saw its very first economic decline it also said "when the economy recovers we'll be flourishing again" and now look at it. It never got better for them. In fact the entire country moved on "flourishing" besides them, and look at whats happened.

I am very critical on cities that I like. You think the recession is the reason Los Angeles's economy tanked? No, although the housing crisis was one part of it. But Los Angeles's economy has seen a slow down since the late 1980's but it just blew up in the recession for the entire country to see.

How will it get better if they don't have a diverse economy? The last of their aeronautics industry is moving to Washington DC just next year taking many jobs with them. There has not been even one article saying large economic job growth for Los Angeles at all. San Francisco, Chicago, & New York City are all diverse economies some of the most in the country and have positive economic signs for a rebound and stabilization.

Los Angeles's economy will never recover until they diversify it, it just doesn't magically recover when the USA goes "oh the recession is over" thats just media talk... the cities themselves have to invest in their future first and foremost. Los Angeles has been trying to diversify its economy all of last decade, and is slowly doing it. Hopefully they will reach Chicago level economic diversity one day and will be safe and more stable during economic crisis as no large industries will take most of the hit.
Los Angeles has fared weakly due to outsource of its jobs overseas...

It needs to focus and keep its eye on getting this done, if it doesn't then yes it will be sharing a very similar life as Detroit. As harsh as that sounds, its true.
It's funny that you mention DETROIT and LOS ANGELES as being
alike...No Two Cities Could Be Any More Different...Cities In Asian
Countries are Going To Be The New Cats Meow...and LA has (2)
ports that's when combined are one of the LARGEST PORT SYSTEM
IF NOT THE LARGEST IN THE WORLD..LA/LONG BEACH...LA is going
to do what It's Has To Do To Survive THEIR'S RECENT DOWNTURN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City