Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 02:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times

Advertisements

worst southern ghetto's i ever saw:
a few neighborhoods in, or towns near Norlanz
Jackson, MS....
worst rural ghetto i ever saw:
parts of Vicksburg, MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
To me, I see nothing redeemable about the hoods in the southern cities.

Streets like this have zero to no value: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7655...7i16384!8i8192

No infrastructure, no history, no architectural value, etc.
Well, the difference between a neighborhood like the one shown in your example above, in Atlanta, and those in cities like St Louis, Cleveland or Detroit, is that the one in Atlanta will *most likely* be completely gentrified and improved upon in another 5-10 years +.

Sunbelt cities are growing in population, while the rust belt are typically declining, adding to the rough shape in many already bad neighborhoods.

Microsoft is building a massive campus in Atlanta on the west side of the city, not very far at all from the example street view you showed. So that "rougher" area, won't be for very long.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:27 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
The worst cities I have personally seen are Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark, and Oakland.

The ghettoes of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Atlanta, and Memphis look rough but not as bad as the above cities.

I've never been to Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, the worst parts of Los Angeles, or the bad parts of NYC like Harlem, the Bronx, etc.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:13 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
I actually didn't know that Harvey was that blighted - I've driven around the east side of town (over around 159th & Halsted) a couple of times and it seemed alright, so I figured the reputation was overblown, but the pictures you showed of West Harvey are just depressing. Do you figure those blocks are going to continue to sit there and rot, or will they be demolished en masse a la East Chicago Heights? I'm also keeping track of the Amazon warehouse being developed just across the border in Markham. Hopefully that can at least boost local employment, if not revitalize the immediate neighborhood.

Speaking of Chicago Heights, what a weird place! It's crazy how regimented it is for a relatively small city of 30,000 people.
Only the village complex is in west Harvey, the rest are more east central. ( Ashland Ave is the the dividing line with east-west addressing.)
I agree that Harvey's southeast corner/1st ward by 159th/Halsted is not too bad. The area in proxy to St. John is stable and quiet. I think it was originally part of Phoenix IL pre-1962. The section to the west of Halsted is a little sketchy. The little assembly of homes on 155th towards the hospital aren't bad, even Oak Park-esque.

It takes Harvey forever to tear down something, so who knows. Then again, the current mayor appears a little more aggressive in directing the city on the path of having a cleaner image to attract economic development. I look forward to what the Amazon facility might mean for the neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:02 AM

406 posts, read 340,684 times
Richardson, TX is ghetto, especially the areas near the intersection of Greenville Ave/E Main St and Polk St.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:28 AM

148 posts, read 119,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
Richardson, TX is ghetto, especially the areas near the intersection of Greenville Ave/E Main St and Polk St.

That's funny

Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,877 times
Lander St, Newburgh, NY | Street 2 | Street 3 | Street 4 | Street 5
Some of the best bones you'll find of any city under 30k, really great architecture, but they really have to clean things up. It'll be a game changer for the region if Newburgh is rejuvenated. These particular streets have actually gotten worse over time. So much potential. Still has some of the worst gang problems on the East coast. It eased up, but majority of the city is a gang territory.

Bergen Square, Camden, NJ | Street 2
Despite sporadic efforts of revitalization, Camden is still largely ghetto. They have a long ways to go to be even just a "normal" city of its size. This looks pretty bad, and the violence is still out of control. Lots of the attention is going to sections of Pyne and Cooper Point. For those saying this isn't as bad as Philly, can provide me with any street that looks even half as bad as these. Philly isn't dilapidated to this degree, it's just gritty and trashy.

W 3rd Ave, Gary, IN | Street 2 | Street 3
Gary is very eerie. It's probably one of the more disenfranchised cities in the country. There's literally nothing going for it. At least you have rare examples of amazing home landscaping on an otherwise dumpy street. They even have their own well-paved sidewalk. Be the change you wish to see!

Seven Mile & Gratoit, Detroit, MI | Street 2 | Street 3
Complete disaster; after the recession hit, entire blocks became abandoned one after one. Not much to say, we all know know enough about Detroit. To many would be the absolute worst case of urban decay and abandonment.

The Ville, St. Louis, MO | Fountain Park | Street 2 | Street 3
North St. Louis, probably the worst off section of any city in the country right now, all things considered. With the decay and violence mirroring that of a 90's Brazilian favela, this is qutie honestly the last place you want to be late at night, more than anywhere else.

Harlem Park, Baltimore, MD | Street 2 | Street 3 | Street 4 | Street 5
Too many spots like this in Bmore. Rough and honestly not getting any better. Violence still through the roof and not enough investment where it is truly needed., bleeding population to boot.

Gilpin, Richmond, VA | Street 2 | Street 3 | Street 4
Gilpin, classic example of the interstate as an alternate means of segregation. Got pretty much locked out, business left due to lower property values, separated from the more flourishing Jackson Ward just south of it. Lots of violence and drugs in the nearby projects. With its biggest draw being a couple of cemeteries, just a desolate place and drab place.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:45 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Lander St, Newburgh, NY | Street 2 | Street 3 | Street 4 | Street 5
Some of the best bones you'll find of any city under 30k, really great architecture, but they really have to clean things up. It'll be a game changer for the region if Newburgh is rejuvenated. These particular streets have actually gotten worse over time. So much potential. Still has some of the worst gang problems on the East coast. It eased up, but majority of the city is a gang territory.

Bergen Square, Camden, NJ | Street 2
Despite sporadic efforts of revitalization, Camden is still largely ghetto. They have a long ways to go to be even just a "normal" city of its size. This looks pretty bad, and the violence is still out of control. Lots of the attention is going to sections of Pyne and Cooper Point. For those saying this isn't as bad as Philly, can provide me with any street that looks even half as bad as these. Philly isn't dilapidated to this degree, it's just gritty and trashy.

W 3rd Ave, Gary, IN | Street 2 | Street 3
Gary is very eerie. It's probably one of the more disenfranchised cities in the country. There's literally nothing going for it. At least you have rare examples of amazing home landscaping on an otherwise dumpy street. They even have their own well-paved sidewalk. Be the change you wish to see!

Seven Mile & Gratoit, Detroit, MI | Street 2 | Street 3
Complete disaster; after the recession hit, entire blocks became abandoned one after one. Not much to say, we all know know enough about Detroit. To many would be the absolute worst case of urban decay and abandonment.

The Ville, St. Louis, MO | Fountain Park | Street 2 | Street 3
North St. Louis, probably the worst off section of any city in the country right now, all things considered. With the decay and violence mirroring that of a 90's Brazilian favela, this is qutie honestly the last place you want to be late at night, more than anywhere else.

Harlem Park, Baltimore, MD | Street 2 | Street 3 | Street 4 | Street 5
Too many spots like this in Bmore. Rough and honestly not getting any better. Violence still through the roof and not enough investment where it is truly needed., bleeding population to boot.

Gilpin, Richmond, VA | Street 2 | Street 3 | Street 4
Gilpin, classic example of the interstate as an alternate means of segregation. Got pretty much locked out, business left due to lower property values, separated from the more flourishing Jackson Ward just south of it. Lots of violence and drugs in the nearby projects. With its biggest draw being a couple of cemeteries, just a desolate place and drab place.

And Philadelphia's blight is far worse than Camden's... Honestly, when's the last time you've read about any attempts on trying to redevelop this? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0207...7i16384!8i8192

Let's not mention the obvious, Camden doesn't have anything that replicates K&A, arguably one of the worst ghetto's in the entire country.

I'm not going to start a pissing match on which city has the "worst looking ghetto", so this will be my last comment on this thread.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:28 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
And Philadelphia's blight is far worse than Camden's... Honestly, when's the last time you've read about any attempts on trying to redevelop this? https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0207...7i16384!8i8192

Let's not mention the obvious, Camden doesn't have anything that replicates K&A, arguably one of the worst ghetto's in the entire country.

I'm not going to start a pissing match on which city has the "worst looking ghetto", so this will be my last comment on this thread.
I know about North Philly. Camden is among the worst of the country, right along with it. It's that North Philly by itself has 5x more people than Camden, it's impossible to replicate that. & that shot did not show anything "far worse" than in Camden, honestly. This would be more comparable.

Anyways, this is about looks, not which is more active. I stand by my opinion.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
I know about North Philly. Camden is among the worst of the country, right along with it. It's that North Philly by itself has 5x more people than Camden, it's impossible to replicate that. & that shot did not show anything "far worse" than in Camden, honestly. This would be more comparable.

Anyways, this is about looks, not which is more active. I stand by my opinion.
Good God. What a horrible place to live. Unbelievable that people could care less about the garbage and decay all around them, despite their poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City