Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

I think somewhere up in Big Sky Country

Boise, Butte, Billings, Bismarck?

One of those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Haha I know, you really should make that move out to Baltimore. Seems like where you want to be. Most of the time we have similar tastes, but in this case, I have a very pro-business mind. Which is why I really like Austin & Raleigh. Maybe for corporate reasons Charlotte. But they haven't weathered economic crisis as nicely as I would have hoped for.

Yeah haha.
Raleigh isn't as pro-business as you think. NC taxes the hell out of people. Sales tax on clothes 7.75%. Food 2%. Prepared food 8.75%. And they tax everything. Oh, and let's not forget the car tax. I just payed $44 on a 2000 Taurus with 240,000 miles on it. One of the highest gas taxes on the east coast. One of the highest alchohol taxes in America. SKY HIGH INCOME TAXES. Anyway, screw NC.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Raleigh isn't as pro-business as you think. NC taxes the hell out of people. Sales tax on clothes 7.75%. Food 2%. Prepared food 8.75%. And they tax everything. Oh, and let's not forget the car tax. I just payed $44 on a 2000 Taurus with 240,000 miles on it. One of the highest gas taxes on the east coast. One of the highest alchohol taxes in America. SKY HIGH INCOME TAXES. Anyway, screw NC.
What the... screw that lol I'm sticking with Austin in that sense then, haha I am familiar with Texas's situation already and its nothing to dramatically harsh as far as taxes go.

For me, a city with natural scenery is a win, and a city with a flourishing tax base and economy is a double win.
Los Angeles would be utopia if they could get their tax base and economy stabilized. When they do, I am ready for Los Angeles.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
What the... screw that lol I'm sticking with Austin in that sense then, haha I am familiar with Texas's situation already and its nothing to dramatically harsh as far as taxes go.

For me, a city with natural scenery is a win, and a city with a flourishing tax base and economy is a double win.
Los Angeles would be utopia if they could get their tax base and economy stabilized. When they do, I am ready for Los Angeles.
I totally agree with the LA thing. I can see why so many people headed west back in the 60' and 70's. My parents considered moving to Arizona when I was 5 or 6 (mid 70's). Thank God they didn't.

By the way, in NC if you make over $60,000 you pay a "sur-charge" on your state income tax.

Danny, you are right. I must get me up to Maryland.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
I totally agree with the LA thing. I can see why so many people headed west back in the 60' and 70's. My parents considered moving to Arizona when I was 5 or 6 (mid 70's). Thank God they didn't.

By the way, in NC if you make over $60,000 you pay a "sur-charge" on your state income tax.

I thought u already live in Baltimore.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
I thought u already live in Baltimore.
I wish. Nah, I live in Cary, N.C.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
IMO, its a very misunderstood city (Los Angeles). I like it a lot, even given the problems it has, its still an attractive city.

Quote:
Thats bogus, I always had this illusion that North Carolina would be more comparable to Texas in terms of tax rates and all that. I ideally always liked the idea of North Carolina being a preferred business climate after Texas.

Quote:
Hope you get up there soon, you really like Baltimore a lot. I got to see it this summer for the first time. And thats why I know this site is full of total lies... about almost everything said.

Anyways to Caphillsea:
Other choices can also be Columbus, San Jose, & Sacramento (if it can fix its economic condition).

Old 09-12-2010, 11:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Seattle. I was just talking to a friend about it earlier today. Denver right after that.

Seattle is a Pacific Rim city, it is widely inheriting a lot of responsibilities. Its port activity is increasing, its attracting the same workforce and type of people and industries as the Bay Area. And its economy is flourishing.

Denver follows up right afterwards. After that I would say Austin has gained large momentum, and will continue to flourish economically.
Seattle & Denver by GaWC are on the same tier of Gamma World City as Philadelphia despite being 3 million or so smaller.
I figured Seattle and Denver were already "big league" cities.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 PM

744 posts, read 1,847,745 times
Quote:
DFW & Houston are indeed on the fast rise to a larger level, but thats a given haha. One could tell straight from only looking at the Texas Medical Center and seeing 8 construction cranes visible directly to the eye. Maybe more elsewhere. Statistically they are poised to achieve a lot of greatness this decade alone, lets see how things go for America overall this decade.

I forgot Minneapolis, but thats at the same level as Seattle & Denver. So excluding those three. I would have to say the big leaguers are going to be Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, & Baltimore.

I have an inside feeling that Baltimore will reinvent itself, better, stronger, more sturdy economic infrastructure. So it gets a nod from me.
DFW and Houston are already in the big leagues and has been for a long time. Houston is the 4th largest city in the country and Dallas the 9th. My guess is that it will be Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh or OKC. Maybe Salth Lake City. San Antonio should definitely try to up its metro. SA has one of the smallest metros in the country for a city being the 8th largest in the country.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Just to throw out one city I haven't heard. Omaha. Great city that is doing tremedous things. It will have a great chance of becoming like Denver in that it will dominate the Great Plains.

As mentioned earlier Charlotte and Raleigh. And for the negatives being said about the tax rates, they have those tax rates and still growing at the rate they are. Use your logic about whther or not the tax situation is that bad. I especially pick Charlotte because I see first hand what's going on.

I also want to see what cities in Canada may come up. I can only think of Calgary which is up there but may get bigger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City