Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I believe we are at least 20-30 years away from seeing any new cities/metros added to the "big leagues" list. That list, in my opinion, currently includes most of the cities that rank high in any "Top Ten ..." list on CD, and tends to correlate with the 10 most populous metro areas - with few exceptions.

Having said that, it seems these cities are headed in the big league direction:

Denver
Austin
Charlotte
Nashville
Raleigh

The existing "big leaguers" have at minimum ~5 million residents, and the up-and-comers are on average ~2-3 million residents behind. Not that population is the end-all, be-all...but it is a factor in bigness.

Still, the metros currently in the 3-4 million range seem to have stabilized or experience slower growth, and do not seem to be recognizing the rate of growth, newfound popularity, national attention, and/or energy of the ones I listed. Almost like "been there, done that" areas for the country...sitting idly by as the up-and-comers keep moving up the ladder.

As a native of NC, I'm not sure Raleigh will ever be a "big league city" in terms of urbanity. I do believe it will be a heavily populated region, but I think there is a difference. Although I've clearly seen it growing, I can not say that I've seen it urbanizing in design, layout, function. Seems the other four are making strides in producing urban built-environments.
It will be a looooong time before Austin, Charlotte, Nashville, and Raleigh catch metros that are currently in the 3 to 4 million range, especially Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis and even San Diego. Denver is already well ahead of the others you listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
It will be a looooong time before Austin, Charlotte, Nashville, and Raleigh catch metros that are currently in the 3 to 4 million range, especially Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis and even San Diego. Denver is already well ahead of the others you listed.
I agree. I also noticed Denver was in a different population class, which is why it was first on the list.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 1 million + tier

Albuquerque
Boise
Spokane
Omaha

Tucson recently crested this and will grow further

Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 2 million + tier

Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Austin
Columbus
VA Beach/Norfolk
Las Vegas???

Portland, OR crested the 2 million + tier but I don't see it cresting 3 million for many years/decades to come.

Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 3 million + tier

Denver

Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 4 million + tier

Seattle/Tacoma

Old 09-13-2010, 02:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
What is the realistic size of metro for this

4 or 5 million?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is the realistic size of metro for this

4 or 5 million?
probably subjective. Denver is not quite 3 million, yet is the the smallest metro area with all 4 major American sports franchises. However LA is still without the NFL and Oklahoma City has the NBA now, so again subjective.

I think the discussion brings to light is that there will be a lot more migration to cities like Albuquerque, Omaha, and Boise. We've already heard about Austin, Raleigh, and Charlotte a lot over the last decade which were all in the same tier as the first 3 mentioned not that long ago. Austin, Raleigh, and Charlotte will crest 2 million which I think is probably the biggest milestone to ascend into a "big city' or "big metro". in other words, they've arrived, they are on the radar.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I also want to see what cities in Canada may come up. I can only think of Calgary which is up there but may get bigger?
Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton have had tremendous growth.

Vancouver just crested the 2 million + tier and is very much on the international radar. Having recently hosted an olympics showcasing their city to the world, also gave it a big boost. (Atlanta also grew tremendously after hosting the Olympics) Being Canada's only Pacific Rim city is a big advantage. Vancouver metro is also very land poor being wedged between the city and the mountains so it grows with a lot more density and vertically than most North American cities. Hard to say if it will be poised to grow beyond 3 million + but it certainly is poised to grow a lot bigger.

Calgary and Edmonton recently crested 1 million + in their metro areas. Calgary will probably grow a lot bigger with it's white collar ties to the energy industry. Edmonton will grow but not as fast as Calgary with it's blue collar ties to the energy industry and it's role as a government city (capital of Alberta).

I see Ottawa having moderate growth in the same way DC has grown being the nations capital and government supported jobs.

I don't see Montreal getting much bigger than it's 3-4 million tier. I don't see it declining either, but it's clear that Toronto is the center of banking and commerce in Canada. Toronto recently crested 5 + million and it will likely always be the largest city and metro area in Canada.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 1 million + tier

Albuquerque
Boise
Spokane
Omaha

Tucson recently crested this and will grow further

Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 2 million + tier

Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Austin
Columbus
VA Beach/Norfolk
Las Vegas???

Portland, OR crested the 2 million + tier but I don't see it cresting 3 million for many years/decades to come.

Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 3 million + tier

Denver

Cities/metro areas that will ascend into the 4 million + tier

Seattle/Tacoma
Any thoughts about Minneapolis/St. Paul hitting 4 million?

Old 09-13-2010, 04:38 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,938 times
Cincinnati-unlike other cities Cincinnati is nearly thriving in this economy, i will consider it a big league city once it has a 750fter
Charlotte-right there almost
Columbus- Give it a few years
Tulsa- if it continues to steadily grow it will be a big league city in 10 yrs.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton have had tremendous growth.

Vancouver just crested the 2 million + tier and is very much on the international radar. Having recently hosted an olympics showcasing their city to the world, also gave it a big boost. (Atlanta also grew tremendously after hosting the Olympics) Being Canada's only Pacific Rim city is a big advantage. Vancouver metro is also very land poor being wedged between the city and the mountains so it grows with a lot more density and vertically than most North American cities. Hard to say if it will be poised to grow beyond 3 million + but it certainly is poised to grow a lot bigger.

Calgary and Edmonton recently crested 1 million + in their metro areas. Calgary will probably grow a lot bigger with it's white collar ties to the energy industry. Edmonton will grow but not as fast as Calgary with it's blue collar ties to the energy industry and it's role as a government city (capital of Alberta).

I see Ottawa having moderate growth in the same way DC has grown being the nations capital and government supported jobs.

I don't see Montreal getting much bigger than it's 3-4 million tier. I don't see it declining either, but it's clear that Toronto is the center of banking and commerce in Canada. Toronto recently crested 5 + million and it will likely always be the largest city and metro area in Canada.
Any other Canadian cities? Most of these I am familiar with in name. I wasn't aware that Calgary had a thriving energy industry. I think that should make it poised to be the 4th city inn Canada, behind Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

I was not aware that Vancouver was that small. I thought it was bigger than Seattle.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Any thoughts about Minneapolis/St. Paul hitting 4 million?
2020 maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City