Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
But those hotter summers make up for our cool winters, you can't grow coconut palms in California, but can grow them in deep south Texas .
Yeah but deep south Texas is at the same latitude as south Florida and should be able to grow tropical plants though is prone to occasional arctic blasts that wipe out everything. South Florida is more protected from cold Canadian weather fronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,229 times
I love how when they are backed into a corner, they pull out the old 'my water is warmer than yours' argument. What about the other 95 percent of the time when your commuting to and from your car, walking around in the city, or eating at an outdoor restaurant? I'm going to do those activities in alot more comfort in coastal southern California. So the water isn't as warm there. It's easier to just take a bath if you want warm water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah but deep south Texas is at the same latitude as south Florida and should be able to grow tropical plants though is prone to occasional arctic blasts that wipe out everything. South Florida is more protected from cold Canadian weather fronts.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM

74 posts, read 249,919 times
Quote:
Houston latitude: 29N [same as New Orleans, Jacksonville, Florida]. San Diego latitude: 32N [same as Charleston SC, Dallas]. That's about 400 miles difference in latitude. Yet Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville are cooler than San Diego in winter. And Los Angeles is even further north than these cities yet even warmer during winter. Texas has colder winters and hotter summers then most of California.
You are right, but SLIGHTLY cooler. while you are 100% right on the fact that SD is much warmer than dallas, ATL, Charleston, SC; Houston, Galveston, NOLA, and JAcksonville is ALMOST identical with SD, give or take a F or 2F.Galveston even have warmer winter lows than SD, and can support Royals and even Triangle palms. Galveston sees frost on average about 2 days. It never reached freezing there for 8 straight years until 2009.

GALVESTON, Texas, USA: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
Royals in Galveston.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
You are right, but SLIGHTLY cooler. while you are 100% right on the fact that SD is much warmer than dallas, ATL, Charleston, SC; Houston, Galveston, NOLA, and JAcksonville is ALMOST identical with SD, give or take a F or 2F.Galveston even have warmer winter lows than SD, and can support Royals and even Triangle palms. Galveston sees frost on average about 2 days. It never reached freezing there for 8 straight years until 2009.

Royals in Galveston.
It's amazing how proximity to water can impact temperatures. Galveston is considerably warmer at night than Houston during winter just because it is surrounded by Gulf water. Tampa is much warmer during cold snaps than areas just 10 further inland. Same can be observed in San Diego. What even more amazing is how mild San Francisco is on winter nights and frost is practically unheard yet it is at the same latitude as Washington DC. Oceans greatly modify temps.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
It's amazing how proximity to water can impact temperatures. Galveston is considerably warmer at night than Houston during winter just because it is surrounded by Gulf water. Tampa is much warmer during cold snaps than areas just 10 further inland. Same can be observed in San Diego. What even more amazing is how mild San Francisco is on winter nights and frost is practically unheard yet it is at the same latitude as Washington DC. Oceans greatly modify temps.
It really is amazing, even on the East Coast, the other night NW NJ dropped to the single digits while we dropped to the 20's. A lot of the time they'll get borderline blizzards while we get heavy rain. Parts of the South got their first frost well before we did (even Myrtle Beach), ours occurred on Decmber 6th, that still boggles my mind but that probably has to do with the urban heat island effect since Myrtle Beach is on the Atlantic too.

The Jet Stream too, I doubt SF would be that mild in the Winter if the Jet Stream blew the other way.

Very interesting how SF is warmer than LA at the moment too.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It really is amazing, even on the East Coast, the other night NW NJ dropped to the single digits while we dropped to the 20's. A lot of the time they'll get borderline blizzards while we get heavy rain. Parts of the South got their first frost well before we did (even Myrtle Beach), ours occurred on Decmber 6th, that still boggles my mind but that probably has to do with the urban heat island effect since Myrtle Beach is on the Atlantic too.

The Jet Stream too, I doubt SF would be that mild in the Winter if the Jet Stream blew the other way.

Very interesting how SF is warmer than LA at the moment too.
At 40 latitude you must be in northern New Jersey, right? On the immediate coastline. That is amazingly mild considering how much earlier North Carolina experienced frost. I read that even with the city limits of New York that the difference can be very pronounced. Snow can occur in the Bronx while Rockaway Beach\ Queens just gets rain instead due to the warmer temp.

I found this climate site recently; it explains the U.S. climates:
Middle-latitude climate

Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Florida beaches > California beaches > Texas beaches > East Coast beaches > Great Lakes beaches > Man made lake beaches

Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 AM

4 posts, read 15,763 times
I like all seasons. Here is what I prefer the climate to be

The winter months(December - February)I think should be the coldest months like they always are. I think that they should always be very cold. I think that January should be the coldest month with day temps. with a high of 30 degrees and with night temps. with a low of 20 degrees. I think that December and February should be just alittle warmer with day temps with a high of 39 degrees and with night temps. with a low of 21 degrees. Anywhere below 20 degrees is too cold for me.

March and November I think should be just alittle cold in the day with temps. in the 40's and Freezing at night with temps. in the upper 20's.

April and October I think should be cool in the day with temps. in the 50's and 60's and cold at night with temps. in the 30's and 40's. I think the 1st snow should occur in late October and the last snow should occur in early April.

May and September I think should be warm in the day with temps. in the 70's and cool at night with temps. in the 50's and 60's.

The summer months(June - August)I think should be the hottest months like they always are. I thinks that they should be hot in the day and warm at night. I think that July should be the hottest month with day temps with a high of 89 degrees and with night temps. with a low of 73 degrees. I think that June and August should be just alittle cooler with day temps. with a high of 88 degrees and night temps. with a low of 70 degrees. Anywhere above 89 degrees is too hot for me.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post

Royals in Galveston.
Triangle Palms are seen all over San Diego. We can also grow Royal Palms, and you see them every now and then.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Honolulu has the best climate. Warm all year, even at night, and year-round ocean water. A bit humid, but not overbearing because of the trade winds. Never too hot. Miami still gets those few chilly days in winter, and the ocean isn't very warm in winter there either, but Miami is my 2nd choice. Tampa/San Diego are my second choices. Tampa still gets cold snaps, and chilly beaches in winter. San Diego has cold ocean all year except for summer, and I find it too dry and foggy much of the time. But they generally have nice weather. This is what I like the most:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City