Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 AM

301 posts, read 639,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Seriously?

Well out of all 7 of those states GA certainly appeals to me more, MA would be at the bottom (no offense to MA).
Yes seriously. NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, against Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, what do you think majority of the people will pick? We can agree to disagree, as you stated your preferred GA over NY and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 AM

12 posts, read 6,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA;
I mean the general atmosphere and landscape would be closer to Philly than Atlanta. Add in that many N.O. whites identify themselves as Italian, Irish, French, etc. versus just white and it would make a better fit.

Think of the similarities. (I maybe stretching, but hey)
Delaware River/ Mississippi River
Cheesesteak/ Po Boy
Wudder ice/ Sno ball
Pepper pot/ Yaka mein
Ben Franklin Br/ Crescent City Connection
Schuylkill Expwy/ Pontchartrain Expwy
South St/ Bourbon St
Walt Whitman Br/ Huey P Long Br
The Boulevard/ Vets
Franklin Square/ Jackson Square
Penn's Landing/ Spanish Plaza
Fairmont Park/ City Park
You've got that right. We'll just call you elasticman going forward.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Yes seriously. NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, against Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, what do you think majority of the people will pick?
Well judging from the poll it's certainly not lopsided and that really says a lot since C-D = Urban, Northern, Subway, Starbucks.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I mean the general atmosphere and landscape would be closer to Philly than Atlanta. Add in that many N.O. whites identify themselves as Italian, Irish, French, etc. versus just white and it would make a better fit.

Think of the similarities. (I maybe stretching, but hey)

Delaware River/ Mississippi River
Cheesesteak/ Po Boy
Wudder ice/ Sno ball
Pepper pot/ Yaka mein
Ben Franklin Br/ Crescent City Connection
Schuylkill Expwy/ Pontchartrain Expwy
South St/ Bourbon St
Walt Whitman Br/ Huey P Long Br
The Boulevard/ Vets
Franklin Square/ Jackson Square
Penn's Landing/ Spanish Plaza
Fairmont Park/ City Park
Actually those are some of the reasons I felt you would say that about Philly.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 AM

12 posts, read 6,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany;
Southern cities DC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans Deep South states Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, so DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami are taken out leaving Atlanta and New Orleans for city in deep south. Yes I would much take Northeast over hick towns and backwards places in deep south and crime ridden dumps, how is this poll even working out as deep south winning with 13 votes to Northeast 12?
What a stupid ass comment. Your hood rats with their baggy capris go above and beyond what we consider "backwards" pal. By the way, hicks are EVERYWHERE. We have them, but yours seem much more festive.

Let me know if you need proof...

Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
How convenient that WestbankNOLA chose to ignore my reference to "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," a non-fiction novel about Savannah that spent a record 216 weeks on the NYT Bestsellers list and very much describes a city, culture and lifestyle every bit as unique and bizarre as New Orleans.

My point again (ad nauseum) is this: New Orleans is unique, just as Savannah is unique, but that uniqueness by no means negates it being a Southern city. The core of New Orleans is Southern, always has and always will be.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:08 AM

65 posts, read 75,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA;
I actually think that a N.O. to Atlanta would be a bigger transition than N.O. to Philly. Philly is developed much more like New Orleans than Atlanta is. The accents would be closer and the accents/mannerism between Philly Whites/Hispanics would probably be closer to N.O. Whites/Hispanics.
What about Philly to N.O. vs Philly to Atlanta? Which location would Philadelphians consider to be the smoother transition?

I can't say, but I'd assume the Philly - ATL transition would be smoother (not because of metro layout) because the vibe/pace seems much closer. Not to mention the scores of fellow NE'ers they'd encounter once here.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUlt.Quest View Post
Take NYC out of NY State and you have Alabama... take Philly and Pitt out of PA and you have Mississippi
You obviously have never been to PA or NY

Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
We used to take the Tri-Rail from West Palm Beach to Miami when I was younger.
Exactly what I took.
Lived in Lauderhill and took 1 bus to the Tri-Rail and then took that down to Miami.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Oh just stop.
Why would anyone live in TN, GA, MS, AL over NY, MA, PA?
Guess you haven't looked at migration patterns over the last couple of decades.
Of the southern states you mention some have the highest net migration of any states while the NE states you mention have a net loss except Pennsylvania which has a slight increase.

Don't let facts get in your way though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City