Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Not wrong at all. When I say hello to someone down South, without fail, I get an "I'm just fine and how are you, Sir?" or someone will actually go into depth about their day and ask me about mine. When I say hello to someone up here, I get an odd look of confusion/disgust/fear.

And what terrible quality of life do you speak of? If you'd rather pay half your salary to support the subway system than move to Manhattan.
Sorry to cut your post short, but these are the two most interesting to me.

First off, I've gotten more blank stares to a hello in Louisiana than I ever did in New York (state). Seriously, slack jawed blank stares. Nothing going on in there.

You seem to be isolating the cities. I'm talking the rural areas. As I am a born and raised country guy. To me life sucks in any metro.

Quality of life? Here where I live the food is insanely expensive, crime is VERY high, and most of the people are very introverted or just plain mean.

Food... What about Apple butter? What about Spiedies? What about all of the specialty breads that are almost exclusive to PA and NY? What about most fruit pies? What about Philly cheese steaks? As far as food from other cultures like Pizza and such, there is very little similarity between the American take and the originals.

On politics we seem to have had a misunderstanding. You're approaching it from a kind of red-blue perspective. I'm thinking in terms of corruption and plain old stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Go South!! Not that I really like it *too* terribly much, but I'll vote against the Northeast (ick) at any given opportunity.
O_o

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
First off, I've gotten more blank stares to a hello in Louisiana than I ever did in New York (state). Seriously, slack jawed blank stares. Nothing going on in there.
Why do I honestly believe you, especially coming from the BR area.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
More history?? That's definitely one thing it does NOT have.

In fact.. Atlanta's so historic that they're actually importing churches from Buffalo to try and combat their characterless neighborhoods.

http://search.yahoo.com/404handler?src=news&fr=404_news&ref=http%3A%2F%2Ff orum.skyscraperpage.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D182 117&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.yahoo.com%2Fs%2Fap%2F201 00529%2Fap_on_re_us%2Fus_church_move (broken link)
Perhaps Atlanta would have more visible history if

A) The area wasn't being plagued by Northerners moving down and building McMansions on top of historic areas

B) If the city hadn't been burnt to the ground by Northerners in the biggest war crime since the time of the Mongol hordes.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Why do I honestly believe you, especially coming from the BR area.
You've been to the BR area then huh? XD

I have to be honest, I have never spent much time in New Orleans, save for visiting my buddy in Metaire. Is it really that different from just a few Parishes away?

I only ever hear horror stories about New Orleans.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Is it really that different from just a few Parishes away?
Night and Day. Take a trip south of Gonzales or Ascension one day. Once you cross the water it's like you're in a different country. Amazing the difference 40 minutes can make.

Quote:
I only ever hear horror stories about New Orleans.
Tell me about it.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

A) The area wasn't being plagued by Northerners moving down and building McMansions on top of historic areas

B) If the city hadn't been burnt to the ground by Northerners in the biggest war crime since the time of the Mongol hordes.
So true.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
"Don't fool yourself, the south has a very rich history, many important national events happened down there, a whole WAR was fought there, I don't think that is not rich."

I NEVER said that the south didn't have a rich history. I said it wasn't any richer or vast than the north east. Are we forgetting where this country BEGAN!?
Where it began? Georgia was a state before New York.

Quote:
READ THIS AND KNOW IT: I NEVER said the north had a richer history. I NEVER said that the north was better in any way. WHAT I DID SAY was that this guy was wrong in his assumption that the south was superior in such ways. GOT IT?
Perhaps what I should have said is that its history is far more visible, people are far more proud of their history in the South, and to me, it is far better preserved and unique to the nation.

Quote:
And no I was not condescending. I came here with a very open mind and a very open heart. Since then I've been chewed up and spit out by nearly every deep-southerner I've attempted to befriend.
You're not going to befriend anyone if you're calling their region a dump.

Quote:
I had blacks hate me for being white.
This is everywhere. Race relations cause problems in every state in the U.S. and every nation in the world.

Race relations as a whole are far better in Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana than New York/Pennsylvania/New Jersey.

Quote:
I had one guy THREATEN ME because I was a "yankee". Isn't that attitude suppose to be dead and gone by now?
Not when so-called yankees keep moving down to a region they have zero respect for to make money off the locals and portray them as slack-jawed hicks in the process. Modern day carpetbaggers.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Night and Day. Take a trip south of Gonzales or Ascension one day. Once you cross the water it's like you're in a different country.
Really? I've been told before to never go down there because I'm from the north. Jeez, maybe I've just been bombarded by the wrong people. :/

I'll have to go down there some day just to see if there is a big difference for myself. At this point I sound like a complete native, I'll just keep my origins a secret.

I do know that when I was out in Cajun land (Calcesieu... I can NEVER remember how to spell that!) people were a lot nicer. Although a tad eerie in places (Elton). But there was NO city save for Lake Charles. And that's more like a big little town.

However my experiences with MS, AL and TX are still a mystery. The friendliest people I met in Mississippi were only miles from Tennessee.

I'm starting to think I've just been very unfortunate with the type of people I've met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City