Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So to make it quite clear, you told him he was wrong about people in the south being nicer and you were trying to say that people in the north are nicer.
NO! AHHHH!

I can't POSSIBLY have made it any clearer that that WAS NOT my point!

You aren't listening to the language I am squeezing from my fingers! Somehow my text is getting lost in translation between the screen and your face meat!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
So to make it quite clear, you told him he was wrong about people in the south being nicer and you were trying to say that people in the north are nicer.

Instead of that you took 3 or 4 posts dancing around what you really wanted to say. You also now say it is based on "fact" and experience but discount others "facts" and experience. Fact is in quotes because no facts were produced and none can since it is subjective.

Politics? A few more words Illinois, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
NO! AHHHH!

I can't POSSIBLY have made it any clearer that that WAS NOT my point!

You aren't listening to the language I am squeezing from my fingers! Somehow my text is getting lost in translation between the screen and your face meat!

Quote:
Well here it is, you wanted it so bad, people ARE nicer north of the deep south. The upper south, the Mid-west, the north-east, all of them friendlier and more accepting.
I thought it was quite clear in the last paragraph of yours. The first 3 or 4 posts you just danced around it though.

If that was not what you wanted to say i don't understand why you typed it.

Edit: I do understand that you were telling him he was wrong in your first post but that is neither here nor there.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I thought it was quite clear in the last paragraph of yours. The first 3 or 4 posts you just danced around it though.

If that was not what you wanted to say i don't understand why you typed it.

Edit: I do understand that you were telling him he was wrong in your first post but that is neither here nor there.

So nice of you to focus on just one sentence out of the entire post. Do you work for the media? You'd be great at it.

That sentence sorta has to go with everything else I said in order to make sense. I'm going to refer to you as the spin doctor.

Either you are doing this intentionally, or you're just really really daft.

And what do you mean it's neither here nor there? IT'S THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS TIRESOME EXCHANGE!

I'm done with you. This will go on forever if I keep trying to penetrate that rather thick barrier of self satisfaction you have going.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Congratulations.

I have quite a few friends. All but one of them live in other states (Tennessee, Kentucky and New York), or is from another state. I have one friend from LA, and he hates it here as much as I do.

Why would I have to explain to somebody why they are wrong if they are blatantly wrong?

If you said up was down would I have to explain to you why you were wrong?

Also, those friendly people you've met? Most of it is likely skin deep. At least in the north you could usually tell who was a jerk, they didn't try and hide it until you wasted two years of friendship on them.
You have a lot of jerks up North huh?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,660 times
Go South!! Not that I really like it *too* terribly much, but I'll vote against the Northeast (ick) at any given opportunity.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You have a lot of jerks up North huh?
Well; Yes!

But you can at least identify them right off! They don't pretend to be nice and then betray your trust later on.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Well. Yes!

But you can at least identify them right off! They don't pretend to be nice and then betray your trust later on.
Truthfully though,the South is NOT monolithic.Even the Deep South is not.At least not like it used to be.
As far as Walker, isn't that in the Bayou.If im not mistaken its like one of the poorest counties in America? Unfortunately you picked a place that is no better than the equivalent of Waterbury CT,or Camden N.J.To paint a entire region as bad is not credible or believable

Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Truthfully though,the South is NOT monolithic.Even the Deep South is not.At least not like it used to be.
As far as Walker, isn't that in the Bayou.If im not mistaken its like one of the poorest counties in America? Unfortunately you picked a place that is no better than the equivalent of Waterbury CT,or Camden N.J.To paint a entire region as bad is not credible or believable
I live here now, but I've been all over south Louisiana in the last few years. That and I have spent far too much time in Mississippi, Alabama and Texas. I'll admit that my knowledge of South Carolina and Florida is only from folks who have lived there.

Georgia? I guess that's the major exception. I almost never hear anything bad about Georgia.

I've probably just been "lucky" enough to meet all of the absolute worst examples of the deep south. However, every time I meet a great friendly person, they're from Arkansas or Tennessee, and sometimes farther away. My experience with the deep south has just been miserable as compared to anywhere else I've been.

And honestly, I am not alone on this sentiment. The bulk of the people I've spoken to in real life who love the deep south, have been from the deep south.

I'll admit that maybe I've simply been dealt an awful hand. But if that's the case, I am certainly not the only one.

EDIT: I'm not certain whether or not Livingston parish is among the poorest. But I wouldn't doubt it.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
So nice of you to focus on just one sentence out of the entire post. Do you work for the media? You'd be great at it.

That sentence sorta has to go with everything else I said in order to make sense. I'm going to refer to you as the spin doctor.

Either you are doing this intentionally, or you're just really really daft.

And what do you mean it's neither here nor there? IT'S THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS TIRESOME EXCHANGE!

I'm done with you. This will go on forever if I keep trying to penetrate that rather thick barrier of self satisfaction you have going.
Well the first part of that post said that you didn't come right out and say people were nicer up north, your posts just implied it.

The second part is what I posted, you coming out and actually saying what you had been alluding to.

The third part of your post was just stating how it was not your intention to say people in the north were nicer, only to tell the other poster that his comment that people in the south were nicer was wrong.

Then in the 4th paragraph you state that you do not imply that people are nicer elsewhere and that it is based on fact and experience not just a general statement. What facts?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Nicer people? WRONG!
Not wrong at all. When I say hello to someone down South, without fail, I get an "I'm just fine and how are you, Sir?" or someone will actually go into depth about their day and ask me about mine. When I say hello to someone up here, I get an odd look of confusion/disgust/fear.

I work in retail, so I deal with hundreds of people each day. The average response to a greeting here is "Fine, but I'm in a rush!" and a refusal to make eye contact or even show emotion.

I've heard countless people say "There's good and bad people everywhere" and "No area is nicer than another". And while the former is true, the latter is certainly not. I've been to 43 of the 50 states now, and no one is going to convince me that people in the Northeast on average (specifically NY/NJ) are "just as nice" as those in the South. I've had THOUSANDS of experiences to the contrary.

Quote:
More History and culture? WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!
I'm sorry. I suppose that Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston, St. Augustine, Memphis, Nashville, San Antonio, and Mobile can't compare to the rich historical meccas of Pittsburgh, Camden, and some dilapidated bungalow in Brooklyn

Quote:
Better politics? What are you, blind deaf and dumb?
No, just not a Marxist nanny-stater like my comrades in New Jersey and New York. Sorry if I support private property rights, gun rights, free speech, anti-political correctness, believe in God, and don't want my life run by the Soviet-style unions found up here.

Quote:
Oh and, food is relative. The north has many great dishes. Especially in baked goods.
Most of the dishes the North specializes in such as pizza, bagels, and sushi aren't even native or American, but have their roots in Italian, Jewish, Japanese, and other cuisines. Southern food is native to the region, they didn't have to steal dishes, and some of the best restaurants in America are in cities such as New Orleans and Savannah.

Quote:
Another thing, the lower cost of living isn't enough to cover up the terrible quality of life. At least here in LA.
And what terrible quality of life do you speak of? If you'd rather pay half your salary to support the subway system than move to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City