Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast or the deep south
Northeast 277 63.68%
Deep South 158 36.32%
Voters: 435. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 02:31 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
No logical person would choose to live in Mississippi over Boston or NY.
I would in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 05:45 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of logic when subjectivity is a higher tier opinion. Either region will do for anyone based on their lifestyle and/or career. I'd prefer people to add value to their locations regardless it's a highly populated urban area or chill small town.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:06 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Let me introduce you to a little show called Home Town, filmed in a quaint place with quaint people.

Old 05-29-2022, 05:31 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
You would if you couldn’t afford Boston or New York. New Yorker mathjak refers to it as “moving to Cheapsville”. It’s totally rational. Millions of low net worth retirees make the exodus because they’re priced out of the housing. It’s also totally rational if you lack the 21st century job skills to command the wages necessary to afford the housing on the Northeast Corridor.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:02 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You would if you couldn’t afford Boston or New York. New Yorker mathjak refers to it as “moving to Cheapsville”. It’s totally rational. Millions of low net worth retirees make the exodus because they’re priced out of the housing. It’s also totally rational if you lack the 21st century job skills to command the wages necessary to afford the housing on the Northeast Corridor.
Beyond that, there are people with all the money and skills to go wherever they want and still choose to live or stay in places like Mississippi. Maybe it's their home state or maybe they're trying to avoid the rat race and pretentiousness of large northeastern cities.
Having grown up in neighboring eastern Arkansas I can assure you that many stick around.
I know of people who went to New York and D.C. early on in their careers only to come back. Not because of finances, but because they didn't like it. The ones who went out west to California tended to stay out there longer.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:09 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's quite an obviously elitist way to look at it, and also logically flawed.

The Northeast still retains plenty of low-income households, especially when adjusted for COL. There are still plenty of lower-wage service workers in the Boston and New York metro areas, despite being constantly dismissed and overlooked.

There may be a somewhat higher concentration of "21st Century job skills" in the Northeast compared to the South, but certainly not anywhere near to the extent that explains the dramatic difference in housing costs. It's 2022, not 1950.

Jobs requiring "21st Century skills" are literally scattered across the US, even moreso now with the trend of remote work, which will likely only increase over time.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-29-2022 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-29-2022, 11:39 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's quite an obviously elitist way to look at it, and also logically flawed.

The Northeast still retains plenty of low-income households, especially when adjusted for COL. There are still plenty of lower-wage service workers in the Boston and New York metro areas, despite being constantly dismissed and overlooked.

There may be a somewhat higher concentration of "21st Century job skills" in the Northeast compared to the South, but certainly not anywhere near to the extent that explains the dramatic difference in housing costs. It's 2022, not 1950.

Jobs requiring "21st Century skills" are literally scattered across the US, even moreso now with the trend of remote work, which will likely only increase over time.
Yea Geoff’s comment was inappropriate but honestly that mindset is typically of the wealthier and elitist households in Eastern MA. It’s what prevents practical solutions to that regions biggest problems. That trademark MA arrogance/obliviousness is always embarrassing. For people who think like that, brutal class division and classism is a point of pride not something to be remedied

Old 05-29-2022, 11:45 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I'm sorry I had to laugh at this... "Southern Charm!"... Atlanta!...? I've never heard that before. I live in Atlanta and sometimes I have a hard time finding southerners.
Most Atlanta residents I have encounter were full of Southern charm. Granted, they were African-Americans. Can't speak on the white residents as much.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:07 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Unpopular opinion: southern charm makes routine tans and interactions tiresome and honestly-annoying. Just don’t talk to me.

If we’re at a bar or social event- cool, let’s talk but even in baltimore I get tired of people trying to make jokes at the mall about “what does the DQ stand for?? *eagerly awaits my response ” when I’m waiting in line at Orange Julius/DQ or people along me about my favorite season sing while I’m in line at aldi. It happens wayy too much.

Dawg, I’m tired and my breath stinks- leave me alone.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:31 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea Geoff’s comment was inappropriate but honestly that mindset is typically of the wealthier and elitist households in Eastern MA. It’s what prevents practical solutions to that regions biggest problems. That trademark MA arrogance/obliviousness is always embarrassing. For people who think like that, brutal class division and classism is a point of pride not something to be remedied
Definitely agree. Astronomical living costs have revoltingly become a point of pride for some people, especially those who benefit financially from it at the expense of others who literally can't even afford a simple roof over their head.

This super gross attitude of "let the 'poor' people (in reality, middle-class) leave; they were worthless anyway" will lead to the eventual stagnation and decline of any city that embraces it. Mark my words.

NYC and San Francisco are "canaries in the coal mine" in that regard, but I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City