Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Minneapolis, MN 254 70.56%
Kansas City, MO 106 29.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis is much more urban than minneapolis and has been a lot larger for the majority of its history. as such, it would be a stretch to argue that minneapolis has more to offer overall.
I agree.

A Minneapolis - St. Louis thread would be a bit more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I agree.

A Minneapolis - St. Louis thread would be a bit more interesting.
Clearly, look at the poll results.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I think KC is underrated on here. Why do some instist that there isn't anything to do there? I'm sure it has everything that Minneapolis has.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Minnesota is more liberal I'd think, though I don't think it has had a Democratic governor since the 1960s (unless you count a couple of the democratic-farmer-whatever people, I don't know what they are) .
I know it was two years ago, and all, but as long as we've already resurrected a dead thread:

DFL is just Minnesota's arm of the democratic party; they are the exact same thing. So, yes: we have had democratic governors since 1960-- 5 of them, in fact, including the current one...

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times
It's just not even close. I'm sure there are cool spots worth visiting, but Mpls dwarfs KC in number of bustling urban districts (top ten walkable city on Walkscore), mass transit, and bike-friendliness (Portland's our only real competition): which is why it was one of few options out of the cities I considered moving to that isn't on the coasts. Mpls is a truly liberal city and you see this in the physical form of the city itself. With twice as many walkable neighborhoods that are denser it's no surprise here's more here.

Last edited by Mplsite; 12-13-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I'm as big a kcmo supporter as there is and Mpls is just in a different tier now. That's not to say that KC doesn't offer a lot because I think it does, but honestly I would much prefer the twin cities area over KC.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis is much more urban than minneapolis and has been a lot larger for the majority of its history. as such, it would be a stretch to argue that minneapolis has more to offer overall.
Hmmm....I read the chart, and it didn't look to me like St. Louis's urbanized area was "a lot" larger until 1950. St. Louis might be structurally denser-- it certainly has different architecture. Minneapolis has pretty much 0 rowhouse residential stock, but it really holds its own for brownstone/brick apartments, duplexes, etc. (which were built around the extensive streetcar lines), as well as more recently built condo and apartment towers.

Although I agree that St. Louis has more history, people have this impression of Minneapolis that it is a "new" city, with more in common with the Sun Belt than the rest of the Midwest, in terms of its urban development. That really couldn't be further from the truth....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Hmmm....I read the chart, and it didn't look to me like St. Louis's urbanized area was "a lot" larger until 1950. St. Louis might be structurally denser-- it certainly has different architecture. Minneapolis has pretty much 0 rowhouse residential stock, but it really holds its own for brownstone/brick apartments, duplexes, etc. (which were built around the extensive streetcar lines), as well as more recently built condo and apartment towers.

Although I agree that St. Louis has more history, people have this impression of Minneapolis that it is a "new" city, with more in common with the Sun Belt than the rest of the Midwest, in terms of its urban development. That really couldn't be further from the truth....
Minneapolis = sunbelt? I would have never thought that. I guess you might think that if you have never been there, I don't know.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Minneapolis = sunbelt? I would have never thought that. I guess you might think that if you have never been there, I don't know.
In terms of architectural style/urban fabric, I mean. People seem to think it's a bunch of ranch houses and split levels and cul-de-sacs and huge lots. It's not; most of the housing stock isn't much newer than anywhere else in the Midwest-- some of it is older, in fact...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think KC is underrated on here. Why do some instist that there isn't anything to do there? I'm sure it has everything that Minneapolis has.
I spent two nights in Kansas City and loved it. It is a great city and extremely underrated. Still, I think Minneapolis has more to offer overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City