Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what you like better
Atlanta area 45 33.83%
NYC 84 63.16%
Neither 4 3.01%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why not? You were the one that came with that point.

Well, I believe that the reason you never hear that is that the story of the still emerging Third Great Migration is the more compelling one to tell simply by the fact of how many have returned.

Aside from that though, a lot of people aren't aware of just how diverse the African-American population is in Atlanta. Native Africans are already pushing 80K by most estimates I've seen and I wouldn't be surprised that within the next decade or so that we will probably take the #1 spot. In 2010, we'll probably be #3 behind NYC and DC, but only off by a few thousand.

While Afro-Caribbeans and Latinos aren't here in large numbers but are very visible. Especially Jamaicans and third generation Cubans coming up from Miami.

On a further note, White-Americans are diverse here as well. Atlanta has had for a long time now had the largest Jewish community in the South and a big reason why this city went through Desegregation without riots and other such nonsense you saw in other Southern cities (many of them were prominent businessmen and very involved in the Civil Rights movement). Irish immigrants also made Georgia a destination in 19th and early 20th century...just not in the same numbers in Northern cities.

Furthermore a ton of White-Americans have immigrated here as well during the last 30 years from all over the country, mostly from the Upper Midwest and Northeast. To think they are just a monolithic group of White Southerners from like Mississippi or something would be extremely misguided.

What people seem to not think of (intentionally or not) is that Atlanta does not have these ethnic enclaves in the same manner as NYC or other Northern or Midwestern cities is because they saw their high growth period during the Segregation era and we did not. The reason why there is a Little Italy or a Chinatown or whatever is not because those cities had the foresight to think that they would be cool little neighborhoods to hang out in, it was because 100+ years ago they had no choice but to live in those neighborhoods. The "native" White-Americans saw them as either a threat or lesser than them and passed laws that made it so they had to live there.

It's American's dirty little secret: Northern cities seem more diverse in their White populations because there was a time (before those cities saw large amounts of migration from Latinos and African-Americans) when some White-Americans saw themselves as being superior to Europeans from supposedly inferior areas such as the Mediterranean or Eastern Europe. If you go back to that time you will see the same racist stuff thrown against blacks in the South towards Irish in the North. Just slightly tuned for a different audience.

But as is the usual case in America, those immigrant European enclaves in the North turned a negative into a positive and built a foundation for themselves in those neighborhoods and spread from there.

Now conversely, when you look at cities that have experienced their population boom in the post-Segregation period, more often than not you will see new immigrants or the children/grandchildren of immigrants from other cities, end up where ever they can afford since there are no laws either written or silent saying where they can live. So this creates a situation that looks on paper to be less diverse across all ethnicities/nationalities when in reality it is just as diverse just more spread out. and of course lesser in number. By and large, once you have an urban area of 4 million+ counting diversity is just splitting hairs. In this country it is impossible to have that many people and not be diverse in every way imaginable.
Good Post. Many people do not understand this, or tend to overlook this when they speak on how diverse a place is or isnt. This is exactly why i feel that the south should get more credit for being integrated than it does.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
me personally, when i think of atlanta i think of black churches, black ppl, black ppl that cut off words, ppl with thick accents, going ham shawty, twang, dreads and fronts, trap music, gangs, successfully black owned businesses, prominent black ppl, weave, hairshows, cookouts, family reunions, black comedians, thick women, tyler perry movies, hot weather, the braves, southern hip hop artists such as outkast, brick squad, jeezy, old cars from the 70's with ridiculous rims on them, etc.
Yea those cars were everywhere when I went to Atlanta. They were parked all outside the club.

YouTube - Mosely Park - The main Spot

Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
matter of fact, i challenge anybody doubting what i'm saying to come during the pr or dr day parade or the west indian day parade so you can see it in all its half naked glory.

or if you're not trying to do that extra ish just come during the summer and stand around.
Been there. Done that. Atlanta wins. It's not even close. The only place where you will see more donks than Atlanta is South Africa.

And please don't tell me that you'll see more donks in NYC than South Africa. I will petition a mod to have you permanently banned from C-D.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
south africa is a country. nyc is a city. south africa's population is over 48 million and nyc's is 8 million.

come on, son.

also, you're entitled to your opinion about nyc vs atl but i definitely disagree.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Gentlemen, gentlemen. There is a way the great Donk Debate of 2010 can be settled amicably:

-It is more than likely that NYC has the largest physical amount
-It is more than likely that ATL has the largest percentage

Result: We all win.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM

287 posts, read 498,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Yea those cars were everywhere when I went to Atlanta. They were parked all outside the club.

YouTube - Mosely Park - The main Spot
This is bull****. You are obviously hanging around thug clubs and hood to see this stuff all the time because I rarely ever see it in the Atlanta metro.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
what about in atl proper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City