Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Htown do you realize that you rebut my points with my points?
well then stop making points that help me out

Old 10-10-2010, 05:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, Houston's inner loop population would be larger than Miami. But Miami still would be more dense. BTW, several years ago, I remember another poster by the name of hudkina did a project and and looked at what the population of each city would be if they were Houston's size and all the land still retained their current density including the suburbs now. When he was done, Houston did indeed drop but Atlanta still came up short. I can try to find it but it was on urbanplanet.
Yeah it took me about 5 months to compile the population of HOUSTON within inner loop and the land area. Because half of the city of Bellaire is also inside Loop 610. The total land area inside of Loop 610 is 96 square miles (which includes Houston, Bellaire, and other small municipalities) but I only compiled the population that exists within loop 610 for Houston, not any of the other smaller cities with a presence there.

The end result was 527,386 people within loop 610 at 96 square miles. Population density 5,497 people per square miles. Honestly, its 14,000 smaller than Atlanta (Atlanta city limits) in terms of population, and by land area its 38 square miles smaller than Atlanta but more denser, I also looked at Dallas and its loop systems, and it comes as the smallest of the three.

Out of all the major metros in the sunbelt only Los Angeles & Miami (respectively) have a higher population density than Inner Loop Houston is in terms it were its own city. (Inner Loop Houston I mean) And another interesting thing is Houston's METRO boards project to link the entire Inner Loop with its districts to construct that "city that exists within a larger city" type of environment. If you notice all the dense developments that Houston has had in the last one year alone all have been inside loop 610, and the projects that are underway right now as well such as Regent Square, West Ave, BLVD Place, River Oaks District, Reliant Park Area Rejuvenations & Projects, among others.

I also looked at the population change within Inner Loop Houston from 2000 to 2005 it was roughly 34,000 people, and 2005 to 2009 it was roughly 31,000 people with 2010 still pending. That's a decent level of infill for Inner Loop Houston.

But yeah I'm not going to hide it, Houston has a feeble Mass Transit infrastructure (right now) and it sucks, Houston is not Urban in the sense of the word with the likes of Boston and others similar to Boston, Houston has some transportation issues it needs to address in terms of rail networks also. But its literally moving in the right direction. So we'll see, time will tell.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
That light rail would speed up the momentum for urbanity in the inner loop pretty fast IMO. God I hate that Houston is having problems with it now. But they should have built the University line first.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 PM

22 posts, read 39,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
Sad childhood?

Hilarious. The pages of my passport has been completely filled more than once growing up and I assure that my childhood it was more interesting than yours.

But hey, you got to walk on grass in a back yard! Fun!
Hmm, wow you're a brat.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That light rail would speed up the momentum for urbanity in the inner loop pretty fast IMO. God I hate that Houston is having problems with it now. But they should have built the University line first.
I agree with you there. That University line should have been ages ago and the rail would improve inner loop density. The Fannin South to Midtown area has improved so much since the Red line came in because it is so much easier to go to work from these to areas to the Medical center now. As traffic gets worse the areas along the new lines will greatly improve

Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
True...the majority of New York City is nothing like Manhattan.

Anyone can see that flying over the city in a plane.
Maybe not with skyscrapers. But the MAJORITY of NYC is still way more urban and dense than anywhere else. Theres millions of people living in each borough besides staten. The other boroughs are like european cities, extremely dense and lowrise. Somebody from houston will get more of a urban city experience in the bronx,brooklyn,urban queens regardless of skyscrapers

Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Houston should really be avoiding population growth:
Geologists warn Houston's sinking (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA012107_01B_Sinking-Texas_1a6292b_html7818.html - broken link)

Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Houston should really be avoiding population growth:
Geologists warn Houston's sinking (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/MYSA012107_01B_Sinking-Texas_1a6292b_html7818.html - broken link)
they have been peddling that doomsday sinking thing for ages now

Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
https://www.city-data.com/zips/77081.html

$31,000 isn't middle class in Houston. The cost of living is lower than other cities, but to say $31,000 is livable is absolutely false.
If you are not buying a house it is absolutely true that 31k is very livable and middle class. You can get good apartment in a nice area for $650-$700 a month in Houston and you can look online and see that. Where are you getting that 31k is not livable in Houston? I know it is a poverty wage in Chicago but that is definitely a good wage for a single person in Houston.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
If you are not buying a house it is absolutely true that 31k is very livable and middle class. You can get good apartment in a nice area for $650-$700 a month in Houston and you can look online and see that. Where are you getting that 31k is not livable in Houston? I know it is a poverty wage in Chicago but that is definitely a good wage for a single person in Houston.
You're boosting. The average household had 2.8 people in 2008 (a number I'm sure has gone up since then) with an average income of $31,000 a year (a number that I'm sure has remained stagnant or even dropped since then).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City