Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM

442 posts, read 828,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Now you're just hiding behind stereotypes and throwing in generalizations for when we're talking about a specific area. Gulfton is actually a poor, mostly hispanic neighborhood with many living below the poverty line. It's understood that the cost of living changes from city to city and no one has even hinted at being ignorant of that fact.
He is the one using stereotypes not me. I don't know how someone figures 31k is automatically poor in a Southern city outside of Miami. That clearly shows he still does not get it. He also forgets that Texas has no income tax.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
all this hoopla and nonsense over the comparison of a city and a BOROUGH. brooklyn is one-fifth of the largest city in the united states. leave it at that

Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
He is the one using stereotypes not me. I don't know how someone figures 31k is automatically poor in a Southern city outside of Miami. That clearly shows he still does not get it. He also forgets that Texas has no income tax.
Really, 31K for an average household of 3 wouldn't qualify as poor? Especially taking into consideration the undercounted illegal immigrant population that a place like Gulfton is likely to have? Gulfton is a poor neighborhood. How far around that do you want to go?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Really, 31K for an average household of 3 wouldn't qualify as poor? Especially taking into consideration the undercounted illegal immigrant population that a place like Gulfton is likely to have? Gulfton is a poor neighborhood. How far around that do you want to go?
The statistics are broad. You need details to make that conclusion as there could just be college kids in there.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:50 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
The statistics are broad. You need details to make that conclusion as there could just be college kids in there.
He is specifically talking about Gulfton (which another poster, not he, brought up as an argument about the density found in Houston). Why are you even trying to argue this? Go to Gulfton and see for yourself, or if you can't do that, then just look it up online. I don't understand why you're hinging on this point when what he's saying is very much true. Gulfton is a poor neighborhood and its density and demographics are not representative of the city.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
2010 Second Quarter Ridership numbers from APTA :

City / Type of System / # of Daily Passengers / Length in Miles
__________________________________________________ _____

Dallas / Light Rail / 58,400 per day / 48.6 miles of rail

Houston / Light Rail / 34,600 per day / 8 miles of rail

Miami / Heavy Rail / 61,200 per day / 22 miles of rail
Miami / Metromover / 25,800 per day / 4.8 miles of rail

Just to clear things up on the ridership issue regarding the cities mentioned above. Miami's Metrorail carries about 3,000 more passengers per day on less than half of the miles than Dallas' Light rail system. I also added the MetroMover system downtown because it ties in with Metrorail & is currently expanding another 3 miles to the Airport which should boost ridership as well.
Houston's numbers aren't to shabby though for such a small system.

As for this thread? Sorry Houston but you could triple your population and you will never be another Brooklyn.

that's the misconception. The article wasn't about Houston trying to be Brooklyn. It was (as I took it) sort of tongue-in-cheek regarding the population growth. It was nothing to take too serious.

Houston isn't trying to be like any other city. It is, what it is.

Can't slam Houston because it isn't like some hyper-urbanized metro the way you think it should be, and then in the same breath accuse it of trying to be like said hyper-urbanized metro.... can't have it both ways....

that's lunacy.....

Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
that's the misconception. The article wasn't about Houston trying to be Brooklyn. It was (as I took it) sort of tongue-in-cheek regarding the population growth. It was nothing to take too serious.

Houston isn't trying to be like any other city. It is, what it is.

Can't slam Houston because it isn't like some hyper-urbanized metro the way you think it should be, and then in the same breath accuse it of trying to be like said hyper-urbanized metro.... can't have it both ways....

that's lunacy.....
totally true. You know some people get so big headed they always think people is trying to be like them. I wonder how many read the article. And of those who read it, how many understood it?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
They don't:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-consider.html

It is just a few on here who use the density nonsense to put down cities like Houston, Phoenix and Atlanta.

90% would prefer their own backyard in those very north eastern cities if they could afford it, but since they can't they get all jealous and turn it into a bad thing.

and let's just be real, alot of them wouldn't dare venture in some of those dense areas because of certain demographics that are represented in those areas.

yeah, I said it......

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
totally true. You know some people get so big headed they always think people is trying to be like them. I wonder how many read the article. And of those who read it, how many understood it?

exactly!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
and let's just be real, alot of them wouldn't dare venture in some of those dense areas because of certain demographics that are represented in those areas.

yeah, I said it......
well a lot of people on here don't have a mind of their own, so they jump on some other's comments (no matter how silly they may be), and run away with it.

The way they spoke you would think that the majority of Americans detested cars. I know that public transportation is essential for growing cities, but they act like cars are the most hated invention on earth. they say that, then turn off the computer and jump into their cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City