Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM

442 posts, read 828,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
why is it laughable, other cities ran out of space and kept growing. you are just mad because Chicago didn't have the forsight to give itself more. Granted it would be bigger than LA but Houston would still be number 4 so what
WTF? So unless Houston annexes land it is totally unusable and people won't live there? What are you talking about? The land is still there regardless of the city boundaries and people will use it. Houston would not have "ran out of space" before reaching that 2million mark in that particular land area that is considered "the city of Houston", people would just live outside the imaginary boundary like most suburban citizens.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:
why is it laughable, other cities ran out of space and kept growing. you are just mad because Chicago didn't have the forsight to give itself more. Granted it would be bigger than LA but Houston would still be number 4 so what

I would agree that its pretty laughable to assume all these people would move into Houston if you were to shrink the borders. Cities like Atl and DFW have been growing at relatively the same rate as Houston over the past decade...why aren't more people moving into the (relatively) small borders of Atlanta?

What foresight would you be referring to in the case of Chicago? They've got plenty of room to expand...

Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM

442 posts, read 828,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
why aren't more people moving into the (relatively) small borders of Atlanta?

In Atlanta's defense there are lots people moving into it's borders. Obviously not at the rate of the suburbs but I find it odd that New Yorkers move to ATL's suburbs for that cheap house but complain about being in a suburb.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Here is why it is laughable.

I had the foresight of calculating the data because I knew I would get garbage posts in response.

I took the Inner Ring townships of Chicago and Cook County, and expanded it to the size of Houston land area, actually slightly less at 633.4 miles, based on 2000 census numbers.

The population comes out to be 4,648,431 million.

Have a nice day.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
.why aren't more people moving into the (relatively) small borders of Atlanta?
Inner Loop Houston circles 96 square miles, mathematically it is 96.037 square miles. I was curious and broke the composition of Inner Loop down to see what its population is, what its land area is, and what its growth rate is. It has added a tad bit more than 63,000 people in the last decade up to 2009. It is smaller than the city of Atlanta by 34 square miles, but its population is 527,863. Only 14,000 smaller than Atlanta with less space.

Now, the population is the same roughly as Atlanta's city limits if I included the city of Bellaire's population from the segment it is inside Loop 610 (of which half of Bellaire is inside the inner loop).

Personally, 63,000 isn't really a bad increase for the Inner Loop. Its comparable to a lot of cities, so yes. It is infilling and growing faster in the core than the competition of Dallas, and maybe Atlanta (I am not familiar with their city growth rates). Dallas's problem is that the Metroplex has two cores, Dallas & Fort Worth. It wont get the same level of infill as Houston, ever. Because it has regional competition, but thats just the way The Metroplex is developing, its the way the Bay Area developed with more core cities, and more regional competition.

And how many times do I have to repeat that Houston's land area is 579 square miles, and 601 square miles with water. This is what I mean, I post something and lol everyone just overlooks it and continues to say the same thing regardless, it hasn't annexed anything at all or added more land mass, and thats just editing from Wikipedia. (Not talking about you tmac9wr)

Old 10-13-2010, 03:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
WTF? So unless Houston annexes land it is totally unusable and people won't live there? What are you talking about? The land is still there regardless of the city boundaries and people will use it. Houston would not have "ran out of space" before reaching that 2million mark in that particular land area that is considered "the city of Houston", people would just live outside the imaginary boundary like most suburban citizens.

I did not say people would not live there, can you read?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I would agree that its pretty laughable to assume all these people would move into Houston if you were to shrink the borders. Cities like Atl and DFW have been growing at relatively the same rate as Houston over the past decade...why aren't more people moving into the (relatively) small borders of Atlanta?

What foresight would you be referring to in the case of Chicago? They've got plenty of room to expand...

have you heard of something called jobs. people go where the money is. Have you seen the number of companies in Mesquite, Garland, Irving Ect. compare that to the number of companies in Houston suburbs and ask yourself which one would you choose.

Look at the big picture people. you can't just stick to one thing like the city limits, you have to ask yourself why people are moving there

Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Here is why it is laughable.

I had the foresight of calculating the data because I knew I would get garbage posts in response.

I took the Inner Ring townships of Chicago and Cook County, and expanded it to the size of Houston land area, actually slightly less at 633.4 miles, based on 2000 census numbers.

The population comes out to be 4,648,431 million.

Have a nice day.

and you did that calculation for nothing because it doesn't matter. it does not disprove my point. and guess wht bucko it does not prov eyour point either. so what was the point in doing stupid calculations?

why are you even here anyway. this is about an article concerning Houston and Brrooklyn. Chicago is a good city, why do you feel the need to put down a smaller city? what sort of negative complex are you harboring? the discussion is not about chicago so what the heck are you going on about it for?

you can move the chicago boundaries to the moon and it would prove nothing

Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,393,420 times
Quote:
have you heard of something called jobs. people go where the money is. Have you seen the number of companies in Mesquite, Garland, Irving Ect. compare that to the number of companies in Houston suburbs and ask yourself which one would you choose.

Look at the big picture people. you can't just stick to one thing like the city limits, you have to ask yourself why people are moving there

I am not sure how you keep missing the point....are you saying that if somebody lived in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago (which is 3 miles north of downtown), and suddenly the neighborhood became an independent city called "Lincoln Park, IL" people would all throw thier hands in the air and say Son of a Bich, we need to move!!!! No way in hell I am living in a place called Lincoln Park, IL....the name in which you call a town/city/suburb is irrelevant.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I am not sure how you keep missing the point....are you saying that if somebody lived in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago (which is 3 miles north of downtown), and suddenly the neighborhood became an independent city called "Lincoln Park, IL" people would all throw thier hands in the air and say Son of a Bich, we need to move!!!! No way in hell I am living in a place called Lincoln Park, IL....the name in which you call a town is irrelevant.

that has nothing to do with people moving to Houston to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City