Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

To be honest though and in grapico's defense (And Chicago's defense) it was a Texas poster that stated multiple times that "Houston will surpass Chicago in the foreseeable future if the same growth rates continue". I think thats where Chicago got brought into all of this.

And honestly, this thread has been done. We have had the "Will Houston Surpass Chicago" thread. We have has the "Houston edges out Philadelphia for 5th largest Metro" thread. We have had the JanGomez population threads that have incinerated to the same exact discussion.

So my question is, do people feel good having to talk about the same things repeatedly? Like do you guys (all of you) just take your posts and save it and then use it in a later thread?

LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
and you did that calculation for nothing because it doesn't matter. it does not disprove my point. and guess wht bucko it does not prov eyour point either. so what was the point in doing stupid calculations?

why are you even here anyway. this is about an article concerning Houston and Brrooklyn. Chicago is a good city, why do you feel the need to put down a smaller city? what sort of negative complex are you harboring? the discussion is not about chicago so what the heck are you going on about it for?

you can move the chicago boundaries to the moon and it would prove nothing
That city boundaries are irrelevant. If the city population of Houston passes up Chicago and becomes #3, it is irrelevant. I did not bring Chicago into this, but when I see something blatantly wrong posted, yes I will point out their logical fallacy. This was brought up presumably by the topic of Houston gaining on Brooklyn, which again, is just as irrelevant. Houston's growth however, is relevant, it is just funny when that growth is skewed, then viewed as a pat on the back by trying to match it up to other cities which it is obviously still far behind.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
To be honest though and in grapico's defense it was a Texas poster that stated multiple times that "Houston will surpass Chicago in the foreseeable future if the same growth rates continue". I think thats where Chicago got brought into all of this.
why is graphico worried then. Chicago will still be chicago, why does he feel the need to put down Houston?

Quote:

And honestly, this thread has been done. We have had the "Will Houston Surpass Chicago" thread. We have has the "Houston edges out Philadelphia for 5th largest Metro" thread. We have had the JanGomez population threads that have incinerated to the same exact discussion.

So my question is, do people feel good having to talk about the same things repeatedly? Like do you guys (all of you) just take your posts and save it and then use it in a later thread?

LOL
I seriously don't know why they bring up the same flawed arguments over and over.

I mean if the only thing a city has to do to become a top 5 city is to get more land then JacksonVille and OKC would be up there already.

People move to Houston and Dallas for work and any idiot knows that

Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That city boundaries are irrelevant. If the city population of Houston passes up Chicago and becomes #3, it is irrelevant. I did not bring Chicago into this, but when I see something blatantly wrong posted, yes I will point out their logical fallacy. This was brought up presumably by the topic of Houston gaining on Brooklyn, which again, is just as irrelevant.

forget about Houston passing Chicago and all that bit. I personally don't care. I use the Houston passing Philly thing only to tease Paul.

but what was blatantly wrong that you needed to correct?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
forget about Houston passing Chicago and all that bit. I personally don't care. I use the Houston passing Philly thing only to tease Paul.

but what was blatantly wrong that you needed to correct?
Nothing from you, I didn't know you were joking in the other posts.

As for post above, yes people move there for the jobs. The amount of Fortune 500 companies in both cities is significant for sure.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Nothing from you, I didn't know you were joking in the other posts.

As for post above, yes people move there for the jobs. The amount of Fortune 500 companies in both cities is significant for sure.

yeah, jobs is the major reason people move to a place.

Cost of living would probably be second to employment and one could probably slip in the argument that the availability of land led to the lower cost of living, but the availability of land does not equal an influx of people.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
why is graphico worried then. Chicago will still be chicago, why does he feel the need to put down Houston?
Nahh grapico is pretty level headed and he isn't biased like that. I just think he meant that city boundaries should be left alone as they aren't as important is metropolitan area populations. Which I think grapico would agree with the statement that its more important than city boundaries. As it tells the real scope of a cities influence upon a region.

Quote:
I seriously don't know why they bring up the same flawed arguments over and over.

I mean if the only thing a city has to do to become a top 5 city is to get more land then JacksonVille and OKC would be up there already.

People move to Houston and Dallas for work and any idiot knows that
Well to be honest my personal irritation comes with the fact that I actually do take time in some posts to post areas and populations in which I do carefully put together mathematically and I do give Houston every single disadvantage when calculating it to see if it passes up my expectations also. So I go brutal on that, but the problem is when I have to do it in the Houston board from two Philadelphian posters who post on City vs City and come in there to give their little chant.

Then I state the facts and even give sources and links for everything so they can check up on it themselves and they still keep repeating the same things.

Personally, I myself have had enough of the Houston population discussions, no one knows what will happen but everyone wants to act like a super hero know-it-all and make their cute little guesses.

Also thats where my frustration with Philadelphians comes into play, they seem to go out of their way, come into the Houston board and then on this section also to say the same thing. To me it feels like they have Houston on their thoughts 24/7 if they are waking up at 4 AM to come into the Houston board spewing trash and illogical mathematics.

I mean its cool and all, do whatever you want. But seriously though? It comes off like they literally do have a chip on their shoulders about something when they invade the Houston forum just to say that in threads that aren't even about population... And its even weirder when they average like 30 posts about Houston in threads about it (Here in city vs city and the Houston forum), thats more than the actual Houston residents themselves.. unfreakinbelievable. I mean I never go into the Philadelphia forum to spew about poverty rate or crime and stuff like that.

That's honestly why I always debate aggressively with Philadelphia posters more than anyone else, its really frustrating, and thats why I can sometimes end up looking like I hate the place when in reality I think its a nice city for what it is, and thats a great American city. Strong and very historical.

And nahh not talking about Kidphilly with my above statement, he hasn't done that in the Houston forum. I meant two other Philly posters from this section of the forum.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
So the past 6-7 pages proves how irrelevant city population statistics really are. Houston has a population of around 2.25 million people. Chicago has a population of over 2.9 million people. But Houston just feels so much smaller than Chicago and this is because Chicago has a much larger and connected core than Houston. Nobody really cares that Houston is the 4th largest city in the country but civic people and people that think city population tells the entire story. Jacksonville is the Largest city in the state of Florida. If you ask any Floridian what is the largest city though, they will tell you Miami. Kansas City is the largest city in Missouri. But if you ask anybody from Missouri what is the largest city in the state, they will tell you St. Louis.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So the past 6-7 pages proves how irrelevant city population statistics really are. Houston has a population of around 2.25 million people. Chicago has a population of over 2.9 million people. But Houston just feels so much smaller than Chicago and this is because Chicago has a much larger and connected core than Houston. Nobody really cares that Houston is the 4th largest city in the country but civic people and people that think city population tells the entire story. Jacksonville is the Largest city in the state of Florida. If you ask any Floridian what is the largest city though, they will tell you Miami. Kansas City is the largest city in Missouri. But if you ask anybody from Missouri what is the largest city in the state, they will tell you St. Louis.

again with chicago??

dude you made the same flawed argument that the person comparing san antonio to SF did.

Jacksonville's city and metro are about the same size, just like San Antonio.
o number 4 for City.
Houston is number five for metro. it ranks almost the same for both measures.

so your assertion is absolutely stupid.

The Kansas City argument is just as stupid. it is an exceptionally wrong comparison.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Nahh grapico is pretty level headed and he isn't biased like that. I just think he meant that city boundaries should be left alone as they aren't as important is metropolitan area populations. Which I think grapico would agree with the statement that its more important than city boundaries. As it tells the real scope of a cities influence upon a region.
it is raining crazy chicago posters today. you must be the only sane one.

Quote:
Well to be honest my personal irritation comes with the fact that I actually do take time in some posts to post areas and populations in which I do carefully put together mathematically and I do give Houston every single disadvantage when calculating it to see if it passes up my expectations also. So I go brutal on that, but the problem is when I have to do it in the Houston board from two Philadelphian posters who post on City vs City and come in there to give their little chant.

Then I state the facts and even give sources and links for everything so they can check up on it themselves and they still keep repeating the same things.

Personally, I myself have had enough of the Houston population discussions, no one knows what will happen but everyone wants to act like a super hero know-it-all and make their cute little guesses.

Also thats where my frustration with Philadelphians comes into play, they seem to go out of their way, come into the Houston board and then on this section also to say the same thing. To me it feels like they have Houston on their thoughts 24/7 if they are waking up at 4 AM to come into the Houston board spewing trash and illogical mathematics.

I mean its cool and all, do whatever you want. But seriously though? It comes off like they literally do have a chip on their shoulders about something when they invade the Houston forum just to say that in threads that aren't even about population... And its even weirder when they average like 30 posts about Houston in threads about it (Here in city vs city and the Houston forum), thats more than the actual Houston residents themselves.. unfreakinbelievable. I mean I never go into the Philadelphia forum to spew about poverty rate or crime and stuff like that.

That's honestly why I always debate aggressively with Philadelphia posters more than anyone else, its really frustrating, and thats why I can sometimes end up looking like I hate the place when in reality I think its a nice city for what it is, and thats a great American city. Strong and very historical.

And nahh not talking about Kidphilly with my above statement, he hasn't done that in the Houston forum. I meant two other Philly posters from this section of the forum.

yeah it is irritating to spend time looking up stuff and then people then come in and throw in their nonsense with stuff they heard somewhere.

I know exactly which posters you are talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City