Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times

Advertisements

$31,000 with kids might not be poor but it's barely enough to get by. However depending on how many kids you have you might not be poor enough to recieve financial assistance from the government which is sometimes worse.
mas23

Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 PM

606 posts, read 354,696 times
What exactly is the point of this thread?

So an entire city may eventually surpass a partof NYC in population. *Yawn*. Big deal.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Miami is not nearly as suburban as Dallas, hence it's very dense (unlike Dallas). South Beach, Brickell, Downtown, Coral Gables, the Grove, etc are all very walkable and "beautiful" unlike Dallas. You don't know what you are talking about.
Did you notice that Miami is a small strip abutting Everglades National Park? You can't build inland because the land is protected whether it's a national park or a flood control area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Brooklyn will always be more cultural, fun, and noteworthy.
Until recently Brooklyn was the ghetto backwater of Manhattan. Brooklyn (and Queens) was where the blue-collar types lived and worked (and the ones with the stereotypical New Yawk accents) while Manhattan was the home of jet-setting sophisticated socialites (Sex and the City types with their refined accents) and their nice "things" (the luxury department stores, the world-famous museums, and the media infrastructure to propagandize America with scenes of New York=Manhattan).

Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Until recently Brooklyn was the ghetto backwater of Manhattan. Brooklyn (and Queens) was where the blue-collar types lived and worked (and the ones with the stereotypical New Yawk accents) while Manhattan was the home of jet-setting sophisticated socialites (Sex and the City types with their refined accents) and their nice "things" (the luxury department stores, the world-famous museums, and the media infrastructure to propagandize America with scenes of New York=Manhattan).
My grandpa was from Manhattan. He's anything but all that.

1957 FDNY - Medal Day 2006 - Archer Past Recipients

That's my grandpa

Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
You're boosting. The average household had 2.8 people in 2008 (a number I'm sure has gone up since then) with an average income of $31,000 a year (a number that I'm sure has remained stagnant or even dropped since then).
Which means that some people made more and some made less. That also does not distinguish how many of those were college students or young professionals or how many made more then that or how many where just single parent homes. The statistic does not tell you much of anything. You have to break it down further.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
What an odd comparison. Why would someone compare the gigantic mass that is Houston to a bourough in New York City a fraction of the size of Houston. I would wager that the folks in Brookyn are not thinking about Houston's population.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
What an odd comparison. Why would someone compare the gigantic mass that is Houston to a bourough in New York City a fraction of the size of Houston. I would wager that the folks in Brookyn are not thinking about Houston's population.
Well according to this thread, apparently they are.....

Old 10-11-2010, 04:09 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
"Until recently Brooklyn was the ghetto backwater of Manhattan"-Brooklyn was always brooklyn, theres good parts and theres bad. Same thing for your Houston. I hardly think someone living in brooklyn heights or park slope, who could easily afford a manhattan apt, think they live in manhattans backwater

"while Manhattan was the home of jet-setting sophisticated socialites (Sex and the City types with their refined accents)"-This shows you know nothing about ny outside your tv set and thus should have left the subject alone.Lol if anything "sex in the city" types are moving to brooklyn in droves

the world-famous museums-The brooklyn museum one of the biggest in the united states

and the media infrastructure to propagandize America with scenes of New York=Manhattan) Its pretty safe to say that brooklyn has a bigger presence in pop culture today than houston.Whats the last movie set in houston-Apollo 13?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Which means that some people made more and some made less. That also does not distinguish how many of those were college students or young professionals or how many made more then that or how many where just single parent homes. The statistic does not tell you much of anything. You have to break it down further.
I don't think anyone thought that every single person living in that zip code made exactly $31,000 a year. There's a difference between analyzing data and splitting hairs, which is what you're doing. The Gulfton (or whatever it's called) is what it is. No matter how hard you try, you can't change what the statistics prove. I could say Englewood is one of the poorest neighborhoods in Chicago, BUT ONE PERSON MAKES $100,000 A YEAR SO OBVIOUSLY IT'S A DESIRABLE AREA!!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I don't think anyone thought that every single person living in that zip code made exactly $31,000 a year. There's a difference between analyzing data and splitting hairs, which is what you're doing. The Gulfton (or whatever it's called) is what it is. No matter how hard you try, you can't change what the statistics prove. I could say Englewood is one of the poorest neighborhoods in Chicago, BUT ONE PERSON MAKES $100,000 A YEAR SO OBVIOUSLY IT'S A DESIRABLE AREA!!!!
stop going on about this. My earlier years of undergrad I lived marvelously on half that amount.

Rent an bills were 450 TOTAL!!!!!!!!
It was an apartment in a nice area and I didn't have roommates. That left 400 bucks A WEEK for clothes, food and fun. That is more than most people have now.

so don't give me that nonsense. 31K amounts to 2.5 a month. which would leave 2k after rent.

You know darn well that apartment living is much cheaper than home living. In an apartment area in Houston 31k a year is not poor. If you made 10K more than that you would be moving on to a new area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City