Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is where you don't understand so I'm going to give an example even in Texas.
San Antonio pop 1,373,668
Dallas 1,299,543
Now sane person that has actually spent time or even visited both these cities believe that San Antonio is bigger than Dallas? Because in feel, urbanity, economic, and socially, Dallas is significantly larger than San Antonio. You don't even have to add FW with Dallas and Dallas is still significantly larger than San Antonio.

that is exactly what I said genious.

I said your example is poor because you are comparing it to cities that drop off the map at MSA level. Houston does not drop off the map. It is almost the smae rank for City as it is for msa

CITY => #4
MSA=> #5

what is which drops from #7 to #33??

your point fails. it is not valid son.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

I said your example is poor because you are comparing it to cities that drop off the map at MSA level. Houston does not drop off the map. It is almost the smae rank for City as it is for msa

CITY => #4
MSA=> #5

Except the CSA, by and large show you the bigger picture w/ the exception of single core primary census metropolitan areas such as Miami, Phoenix and San Diego.

PS Houston MSA is double in size of Philadelphia's ...

PPS Philadelphia is still #8 CSA, as well as #4 Media Market.

So you can keep tweaking the #'s to somehow adjust your ego, but everybody else sees through it.

And if you want to go by MSA data, Houston is still trailing at #2 in it's own state. It's hard to argue raw numbers.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, Washington DC, Los Angeles, need I go on?
these are all msa's not csa's

Quote:
Tax dollars go to city/county/parish/state level...

Wait, you just argued for the metro importance, now you are arguing for the city when the actual "metro" data is pointed out and Houston is now 9 (CSA) and not 4 (city limit)? Back to square one.

you ar etaking my arguments out of context.
go read them agian. this time read at your comprehension level.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:

CITY => #4
MSA=> #5

No you didn't say that, genius.
I never said that Houston drops off the map if you look at metro. That was your perception from my argument. So you need take care of your own insecurities.

I said that city population statistics are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Metro population or urban populations are what matter to most people that are looking for the true size of the city. Apparently, you don't get that.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Except the CSA, by and large show you the bigger picture.

PS Philadelphia is still #4 CSA, as well as #4 Media Market.

So you can keep tweaking the #'s to somehow adjust your ego, but everybody else sees through it.

Not to mention the # 4 UA - actually Philly is #7 CSA (still far larger no mater how you slice it when compared to Houston - Philly is larger than Houston on 3 out of 5 metrics - and the the ONLY two that do not get influenced by land area covered by municipality) I believe Boston and DC and Bay pass it with the combined MSAs - weird part is Philly either this census or next will be part of the NYC CSA. Either way you slice it Houston is an economic engine and a very large Metro though

But HTown although fun is not always the best debator and he is harmless sometimes just bantor, sometimes just to irratate me

Quote:
these are all msa's not csa's

you ar etaking my arguments out of context.
go read them agian. this time read at your comprehension level.
oh my.

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
Are city boundaries irrelevant for tax purposes.

you all need to step into reality.
Who the hell is moving to Houston just to say they are paying taxes to Houston? You missed the whole point or you are just playing dumb.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Except the CSA, by and large show you the bigger picture w/ the exception of single core primary census metropolitan areas such as Miami, Phoenix and San Diego.

PS Philadelphia is still #4 CSA, as well as #4 Media Market.

look who is adjusting. at first you say city isn't important it is metro. when you geniouses realise that Houston's city and Metro are ranked about the same you went 's mean nothing son.

apart from a small percentage of people moving about from one msa to another CSA's mean nothing.

The CNN anchor earlier mentioned Houston, as the 4th largest city in the country, she didn't say the 9th largest CSA

CSA and urban area data is for nerdy bragging rights.

A metro area is valid for partnership sake, cities are valid for taxing purposes, CSA??? well they are just not valid

Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not to mention the # 4 UA - actually Philly is #7 CSA (still far larger no mater how you slice it when compared to Houston - Philly is larger than Houston on 3 out of 5 metrics - and the the ONLY two that do not get influenced by land area covered by municipality) I believe Boston and DC and Bay pass it with the combined MSAs - weird part is Philly either this census or next will be part of the NYC CSA. Either way you slice it Houston is an economic engine and a very large Metro though

But HTown although fun is not always the best debator and he is harmless sometimes just bantor, sometimes just to irratate me
Woops, confused the numbers for a second. I don't think anybody disregards how close it is to the 22 Million CSA which is NYC. Well, actually...many do, take that back.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Who the hell is moving to Houston just to say they are paying taxes to Houston? You missed the whole point or you are just playing dumb.

who said anything thing about moving for taxes. what are you in 3rd grade?

I think you may need glasses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City