Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 03:05 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Is Denver really better connected to western cities than Atlanta? Atlanta generates considerably more business activity than Denver. Especially with California. Being closer doesn't necessarily mean more connected.
Maybe because of the film industry, and some tech companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 09:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,022 times
I don't know if this makes any difference but Atlanta doesn't go from 98 degrees to a Winter Storm Watch in September or really ever.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:54 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Denver is an attractive metropolis in many respects, but their weather forecast given the early September timeframe is a bit ridiculous. Temperatures plummeting 60 degrees in a matter of hours, followed by a blizzard? Thankfully such weather patterns will never happen this time of year in Atlanta.

Labor Day
Sunny, with a high near 92. South southwest wind 6 to 9 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph.

Monday Night
Rain, mainly after midnight. Low around 31. Blustery, with a north wind 10 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Tuesday
Rain before 7am, then rain and snow between 7am and 9am, then snow after 9am. High near 36. Breezy, with a north wind 13 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Tuesday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.

Wednesday
A slight chance of snow before 11am, then a slight chance of rain and snow between 11am and noon, then a slight chance of rain after noon. Sunny, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Also for the political trolls bashing Atlanta for voting Democratic ... did y'all realize that Denver isn't exactly a conservative hotspot either, and is situated in a state that is way more liberal than Georgia?

Old 09-06-2020, 12:59 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Two of my favorite cities but I'll go with Atlanta here.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:13 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
I’ve lived in both. Atlanta is okay but it’s a little too much for me. I’ll definitely take Denver any day but I wouldn’t die if I had to move back to Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
I don't know if this makes any difference but Atlanta doesn't go from 98 degrees to a Winter Storm Watch in September or really ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Denver is an attractive metropolis in many respects, but their weather forecast given the early September timeframe is a bit ridiculous. Temperatures plummeting 60 degrees in a matter of hours, followed by a blizzard? Thankfully such weather patterns will never happen this time of year in Atlanta.
This happens every year. People see the first/last snow forecast and use it as an opportunity to bump a thread involving Denver just to have that “Gotcha” moment. There hasn’t been a September snowfall in Denver since 2000 but the wild climate is not news and frankly Coloradans expect/welcome the first snow no matter how early it is. Especially right now with all the wildfire happening.

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 09-06-2020 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 04:52 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
So you're saying snowfall in September is a possibility? That's just bizarre.

I went to Minneapolis once in May...it was 90, but there were piles of snow on the ground. Then it snowed after I left. It was surreal. Sounds like Denver can be like that, even if it's not normal.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

I went to Minneapolis once in May...it was 90, but there were piles of snow on the ground. Then it snowed after I left. It was surreal. Sounds like Denver can be like that, even if it's not normal.
Denver can get snow anywhere from early September-late May. Again, not news. Denverites call it snow season but actual Winter weather where it’s consistently cold doesn’t really start until maybe November

Old 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

not a possibility, a prediction. It was 99 as a high today, it will be close to that again tomorrow and then on Tuesday, we are expect 1 to 3 inches of snow

Old 09-06-2020, 08:42 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Is Denver really better connected to western cities than Atlanta? Atlanta generates considerably more business activity than Denver. Especially with California. Being closer doesn't necessarily mean more connected.
Much of Atlanta's business activity is intraregional in nature and it is the hub of a more populous and developed region; when it comes to the federal government, Atlanta and Denver serve their respective regions in much the same way as mini capitals in essence. Interregionally, Atlanta's connections are much stronger with the Northeast and Midwest--connections that are largely responsible for its very existence today due to their importance in the city's founding as a rail hub and in cementing its status in air travel in the 20th century. Also Atlanta is much more likely to be the new home of companies that were formerly based in regions to the north than in the West, and I'd surmise the opposite is true of Denver. The only distinctly/direct important business connection Atlanta has with another Western city that I can think of is LA with the TV/film industry.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:16 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Much of Atlanta's business activity is intraregional in nature and it is the hub of a more populous and developed region; when it comes to the federal government, Atlanta and Denver serve their respective regions in much the same way as mini capitals in essence. Interregionally, Atlanta's connections are much stronger with the Northeast and Midwest--connections that are largely responsible for its very existence today due to their importance in the city's founding as a rail hub and in cementing its status in air travel in the 20th century. Also Atlanta is much more likely to be the new home of companies that were formerly based in regions to the north than in the West, and I'd surmise the opposite is true of Denver. The only distinctly/direct important business connection Atlanta has with another Western city that I can think of is LA with the TV/film industry.
This is spot on, Mutiny.

There are solid connections with the Bay Area with Tech companies and McKesson (major presence here), and with Portland and Seattle with Georgia Pacific (major facilities in Portland and Bellingham) but L.A. absolutely reigns supreme. Prior to COVID, there were over 20 daily flighs to LAX on 5 Airlines. Only New York had more from the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City