Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. Denver
Atlanta 42 28.38%
Denver 106 71.62%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:17 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times

Advertisements

Obviously, the big difference would be the presence of the Rocky Mountains right next to Denver. But I do hear about similarities, sprawl and traffic being two of them. Which would you choose and why?

Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
I would choose Denver for two reasons. It is a very clean city and the weather there would be more my cup of tea. I hate hot, humid weather so I would never consider Atlanta.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I've lived in both places, and love both places. I think you are comparing apples and oranges here... but since you asked I can move anywhere (newly retired) and I considered returning to Denver.

However, I bought a house near Atlanta.

The warm winters and low cost of housing were primary factors. I like Coloradans, but I really love the friendliness of Georgians, and the festivals of the North GA mountains. Also, I never liked "the brown cloud" that hung over Denver (air pollution trapped over the city because it's next to the Rocky Mountains). And, Atlanta's airport has more direct flights to more interesting places--that's a real plus for a retiree.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I would choose Denver for two reasons. It is a very clean city and the weather there would be more my cup of tea. I hate hot, humid weather so I would never consider Atlanta.
I would have to give the edge to Denver as well; although, parts of the Atlanta area are nice too

Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I've lived in Denver and used to go out to Atlanta one week out of every month for a short time, so I'll take a stab at this;

I agree that it's like comparing apples to oranges, so it's difficult in comparing the two.

As far as similarities, I'd have to say that the airports are based on the same model.

Airports; DIA has Concourses A, B, and C. ATL has 5 or 6 concourses and counting, with a train to connect them. DIA is a joke. Literally. But it serves the city pretty well. Other than the fact that it's way out in Strasburg. It's like north and WAY east of the city. Atlanta's airport is at the south end of the city and they have this train system that starts there and goes all the way up to the north end and maybe beyond by now. At some point I think it splits off a bit. On one fork you can go to the Medical Center section. Now, in the middle of the MARTA system or at the center of the city, you can go east and west. I haven't gone that way before. But at the center, you've got that Underground place. I haven't heard about it post-911. Is it still there? If not, that's a bummer. Advantage, the ATL.

Traffic; Denver doesn't have the best roadways in the world, but TREX did spruce it up pretty nicely. If E-470 ever connects all the way to C-470 at Golden or wherever and becomes a "Freeway", then advantage Denver. That Spaghetti Junction with the 75, 85, 400 Interconnector and whatever it's all called-just is a mess! That and the fact that every roadway in Atlanta is called Peachtree! All that being said, I changed my mind. MARTA vs. Lightrail, advantage again, the ATL.

Sprawl; The fact that the ATL is right out in the middle of nowhere, they've got Denver beat hands down when it comes to sprawl. But then again, look at Waterton Canyon (Deer Creek Canyon, whatever you call that road), 285, Morrison Rd, 6, 70, etc. on any given Monday morning. I see no evidence that the Rocky Mountains are stopping sprawl to the west of Denver and that is disgusting. Advantage again, the ATL.

Sports; The Rat beat Reeves and thus validated Elway's career. Advantage, Denver!

Industry; Coke vs. Coors. Can't really compare those on any level! They both are equally usless to me, so tie. Krystals vs. Good Times, DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Krystals give me the urge to regurge. Krispy Kreme, Denver owes the ATL a thanks here. Thanks for NOTHING! Advantage, ATL.
(that one's a tie)

Overall liveability; drier air and 4 seasons give Denver the nod. Don't think that the ATL is a picnic when it gets down to 20! That Brown Cloud in Denver is temporary and usually blows away into Nebraska along the South Platte valley with a good brisk wind. Denver has drinkable water. I'm not sure about water in the ATL. Advantage, Denver.

Night Life; Gold Club vs. Shotgun Willies. Gee, I don't know. Ask Terell Davis. LoDo. Broncos. Rockies. Avs. Nuggets. A thriving downtown and growing city, I'm gonna go advantage Denver.

Hospitality; As far as hospitality goes, I get along with all different types of people, so it doesn't matter where I'm at. I get hospitality everywhere I go. Advantage, neither. Not an issue for me.

Outdoors; Don't think that the ATL isn't near mountains and rolling hills. Up towards Gwennett (sp??) County, I saw some places where you could probably hunt, fish, and who knows what all. They have an abundance of trees, plants, greenery. Denver's climate is altogether different. Not necessarily worse, just different. Denver is at the gateway of World class mountains, skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, river-rafting (granted, you've got to drive down to my river-the Arkansas or West Water), etc. Advantage Denver.

So I've gotta say the ATL overall. But if I HAD to live in one or the other, I'd pick Denver.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-24-2007 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: to add something

Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Atlanta is full of rolling hills and is only an hour away from the Blue Ridge Mountains (depending on what side of the metro area you are at).

Old 11-24-2007, 01:57 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
More vs. threads (sigh). Denver.... but that's the most you're gonna get from me!

Old 11-24-2007, 02:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
I'm not really big into the whole mountains thing and take away the mountains and Denver's no match at all for Atlanta. I have family in Denver. Things I like about it the most are it's clean, thriving downtown, good economy. However, It's winters are a little too intense. Atlanta has four seasons but it's winter is milder than Denvers by far.

If I were really into the whole outdoors thing all I would have to do is visit my friends in South Georgia. There's enough hunting and fishing down there to last one a lifetime and half of my friends down there are trully hunting and fishing freaks that have access to thousands of acres of hunting land and countless fishing holes, lakes, rivers.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,911 times
I lived in Atlanta for a year and now live in Denver. I definitely prefer Denver. I think the people are more down to earth and less superficial in Denver. I remember thinking some of the people in Atlanta were very concerned with impressing people and in my opinion, there is less to do. I love Denver for both the great city life and the close proximity to the mountains. I love that when you want to get together with friends out here you might actually go for a hike rather than going out to dinner or getting a drink.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 PM

194 posts, read 303,818 times
Atlanta has Chik-Fil-A (!!!), and a subway system, *and* Zaxby's.

Atlanta wins. The end.

Versus threads only result in hurt feelings and civic pride-spawned anger. All vs. threads should be banned after today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City