Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 02:41 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Not anymore. Sky Valley Ski Resort closed a few years ago.
Yikes, I just check the nearest in AL, GA not really using it mountains outside Camping and National parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 03:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Not sure I'd agree with opinions that Atlanta is better know internationally. Sure, there was an Olympics there, but Denver has been the primary airport destination for global elite bound for Vail, Aspen, Steamboat, and Telluride for the better part of 50 years. Royalty from around the globe own real estate in those mountain towns and often come through Denver on their way to those places.
Atlanta get more tourist then Denver and outside Business, Education/Medical Atlanta has very large media presence in pop culture.

tbh this not really a fair comparison, Atlanta is twice Denver size.
Quote:
The artists that made the music there certainly associated Denver with it. Any number of major rock hits from the 70s to early 80s were recorded just outside of Denver. Little know artists like John Lennon, the Eagles, Elton John, Michael Jackson. Yea, nobody of any note knew of Denver's rock association.

https://bestclassicbands.com/caribou...g-high-5-8-15/

Country

Atlanta was actually the center of the Country music industry before 1950's.At some point the country music shift from Atlanta to Nashville.

Atlanta country music

Rock n Roll and R&B

Rock and Roll started in the South. So many early Rock and R&B artist associate with Atlanta, especially if they were from GA, Little Richard, James Brown. Ray Charles. etc etc etc.

In the late 80's. Laface records was base in Atlanta. And later So So Def also was base in Atlanta, by this time Atlanta became on the centers of modern R&B. So many famous producers, and song writers became base in Atlanta.

When Atlanta became home to LaFace, LA Reid and Babyface

From That multi platinum R&B artists TLC, Usher, Toni Braxton, Xscape, 112, Monica, Ciara and etc where base in Atlanta. While other artists like Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Neyo, Akon etc recorded parts of their albums and had homes in Atlanta.

And that just Country, Rock, R&B

I'm not even going to try to list Hip hop it's dozens of major acts and even more smaller ones. Because of this significance in Hip hop and R&B, There have even a few BET hip hop Awards and Soul train Awards shows held in Atlanta.

But just "record in" who wouldn't assocate with ATL, would include Beyonce, Elton John, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Pussycat Dolls, The Weeknd ete etc etc. Pop acts recorded Atlanta because Atlanta has a lot of producers and song writers.

Fox even ran a musical drama set in Atlanta, about singer trying make in the industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2snL9QUIZI

Atlanta also now large foot print in film and movies industries. Atlanta basically has been 3rd in US for film the last decade. There have been a lot investment in studies. People probably watch a lot films that were shot in Georgia they didn't realize. But there also have been a lot films and TVs show overtly set in Atlanta.

How Georgia Became the Hollywood of the South: TIME Goes Behind the Scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUMLeiRyMOE

CNN has move most of it shows to NY, but there still News hours shot in Atlanta, the same with on TBS, TNT, CN etc. In stuff like TNT's inside the NBA you overtly see Atlanta skyline.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:29 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Quote:
Denver is probably better well know internationally due to marijuana and rock and roll music.
I bet it was the tv shows and marijuana references that compelled you to comment. And there’s not a minute that goes by that I’m not reminded of Rock and Roll without trying. I have a feeling that a lot of people in Denver listen to hip hop artists from Atlanta. I’m also pretty sure people in Atlanta, while following up after the light and puff, aren’t thinking of Denver’s contribution to their zen and peacefulness.

Without the Rockies, I wonder if Denver would be anymore recognized than Albuquerque? Regardless, Denver is the next city, I really want to visit, trumping Dallas, Houston or Nashville.

Crunkin’ in Denver. Reminds me when I was traveling across country and while in Minneapolis, we happened to be there during the black student union convention. Half the city was black. What a trip, the locals where walking around with glazed eyeballs. Lol. Ironically, when we got to Pittsburgh, they where holding the black body builders convention, although not as big an event. They should hold both events in San Francisco simultaneously, with satellite events in Mill Valley and Palo Alto. Lol

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 03-09-2020 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-09-2020, 10:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I bet it was the tv shows and marijuana references that compelled you to comment. And there’s not a minute that goes by that I’m not reminded of Rock and Roll without trying. I have a feeling that a lot of people in Denver listen to hip hop artists from Atlanta. I’m also pretty sure people in Atlanta, while following up after the light and puff, aren’t thinking of Denver’s contribution to their zen and peacefulness.

Without the Rockies, I wonder if Denver would be anymore recognized than Albuquerque? Regardless, Denver is the next city, I really want to visit, trumping Dallas, Houston or Nashville.

Crunkin’ in Denver. Reminds me when I was traveling across country and while in Minneapolis, we happened to be there during the black student union convention. Half the city was black. What a trip, the locals where walking around with glazed eyeballs. Lol. Ironically, when we got to Pittsburgh, they where holding the black body builders convention, although not as big an event. They should hold both events in San Francisco simultaneously, with satellite events in Mill Valley and Palo Alto. Lol
Great post!

Old 03-10-2020, 05:06 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
It’s funny because one City is known as a mecca for blacks and the other for whites. Different promised lands. Lol

It should be noted that Atlanta is heavily gentrified and there are lots of white people loving the urban life there. Atlanta’s suburbs are where minorities are streaming into; blacks, Asians and Hispanics.

Denver is gaining two groups, primarily. Whites in the city and suburbs and Hispanics in the suburbs.

The CBD’s are different and difficult to compare. Atlanta has a more spread out CBD than Denver. For now, Denver has the better downtown to walk around and explore. Once downtown and midtown Atlanta fill in more, it will exceed Denver. Buckhead and Cherry Creek are very comparable, though even here, Buckhead is more spread out than Cherry Creek.

Suburbs are pretty even. Denver has Boulder, Littleton, Castle Rock, Louisville and Golden. Atlanta has Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Roswell, Woodstock and Newnan.

Atlanta probably better known internationally, due to tv shows and hip hop music.

Even though Atlanta is 5 hours from the coast, it’s still a viable option to take advantage of. You can also access skiing in Atlanta (though non comparable to Denver at all). Decent water activities are just not available in Denver in any way shape or form. Those little lakes just can’t even compare to what a place like Cleveland can even offer.

I would choose Atlanta, but not by much. Though living outside NYC, I would only ever be able to live in Philadelphia or DC if not here. I’ve lived in Philadelphia, Miami, Chicago, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and now NJ.

Savannah(the coast) is only 3hr-3.5hr drive,Not 5

Old 03-10-2020, 05:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta might take more of Georgia GDP than Denver to Colorado, but GA's GDP with ATL would still be larger than CO with Denver.

Without Atlanta, Georgia is still 4 million people. Co with out Denver is 3 million.

I agree with your with general point both are better competing with there major cities. but there is more in GA outside of ATL, then CO with out Denver.
Not to mention Georgia major ports in Savannah and Brunswick. You also have more corporate headwuarters.
Columbus-AFLAC,Synovus,TSYS
Savannah-Gulf Stream
Dalton-Mohawk and Shaw Industries
Another thing of note is that Georgia has a lot more military installations that employ thousands

Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Denver is probably better well know internationally due to marijuana and rock and roll music.
LOL. Few people associate Denver with music.

Yes, the area has decent concert venues, but the local music scene is weak at best. The music coming out of Denver is either fashion folk or bad, pop garbage meant for suburban people.

Quote:
The artists that made the music there certainly associated Denver with it. Any number of major rock hits from the 70s to early 80s were recorded just outside of Denver. Little know artists like John Lennon, the Eagles, Elton John, Michael Jackson. Yea, nobody of any note knew of Denver's rock association.

https://bestclassicbands.com/caribou...g-high-5-8-15/

Old 03-10-2020, 10:50 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL. Few people associate Denver with music.

Yes, the area has decent concert venues, but the local music scene is weak at best. The music coming out of Denver is either fashion folk or bad, pop garbage meant for suburban people.

I certainly don’t. But red rocks is one of the best venues in the US for sure

Old 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I certainly don’t. But red rocks is one of the best venues in the US for sure
Totally agree. Some of my most memorable, live music experiences have been at Red Rocks. I've also seen shows at a number of other Denver area venues, including Ogden Theatre, the Fillmore, Pepsi Center, the Bellco Theatre, and Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:

That's rather absurd. Denver IS the mountains, in the minds of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City