Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 10:18 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Totally agree. Some of my most memorable, live music experiences have been at Red Rocks. I've also seen shows at a number of other Denver area venues, including Ogden Theatre, the Fillmore, Pepsi Center, the Bellco Theatre, and Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre.
If you like music, Denver venues are hard to beat. And since it’s the only major city for hundreds of miles, every band stops there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 10:30 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If you like music, Denver venues are hard to beat. And since it’s the only major city for hundreds of miles, every band stops there
Other than Red Rocks, the venues don't really stand out from what one would find in other cities.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:43 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That's rather absurd. Denver IS the mountains, in the minds of many.
Those "many minds" that you speak of are sadly mistaken. Denver is NOT "the mountains". Denver is a city on the western edge of the Great Plains. Austin, Texas is significantly hillier than Denver. I remember Denver being about as "hilly" as Indianapolis.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-13-2020 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 11:05 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Other than Red Rocks, the venues don't really stand out from what one would find in other cities.
Collectively I think it’s as good as it gets

Old 03-13-2020, 12:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Those "many minds" that you speak of are sadly mistaken. Denver is NOT "the mountains". Denver is a city on the western edge of the Great Plains. Austin, Texas is significantly hillier than Denver. I remember Denver being about as "hilly" as Indianapolis.
The grand majority of the Austin metro isn’t much hillier than Denver. The city isn’t in the mountains itself but people love to conveniently leave out that part of metro Denver actually is. Hill country is beautiful, but can you even find anything comparable to Denver suburbs like Evergreen or Golden in Austin? Even the southern part of Metro Denver with suburbs like Parker, Castle Pines and Castle Rock aren’t flat.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Having lived here for 40 years, I know the bold. I was responding to a post that w/o the Rockies (however far they may be from the actual city) would Denver be any more recognized than Albuquerque. People fly into Denver to go to the mountains year-round. You can't really separate Denver from the Rockies.

I've never been to Austin, but I've been to Indianapolis, and I disagree about Indy. There are several city neighborhoods named for "hills", e.g. Capitol Hill, North Capitol Hill, Ruby Hill, Park Hill, North Park Hill, South Park Hill, Northeast Park Hill, University Hills, and also Highlands. Indy is not much hillier than Chicago.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:20 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No way Denver beats Atlanta in this category.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:28 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No way Denver beats Atlanta in this category.
Music venues? Red Rocks begs to differ. Nothing in Atlanta even comes remotely close.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:33 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Music venues? Red Rocks begs to differ. Nothing in Atlanta even comes remotely close.
My statement still stands based on sheer volume and quality. Atlanta has more and better quality.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The grand majority of the Austin metro isn’t much hillier than Denver.
I beg to differ. Austin is quite a bit hillier than Denver. Austin is one of the hilliest cities in the United States between the Appalachian Mountains and the Rocky Mountains. Some hills are so long and slow grade you don't even realize you're on a hill unless you're going down. Some hills are so long and steep, you'll wonder if you're gonna make it all the way to the top. Some streets are up one hill and down another, block after block.

I challenge you to ride a bicycle thru out Austin and then come and tell me Austin isn't much hillier than Denver. There's a reason so many professional bicyclists train and live in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City