Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Just because someone does not live in a certain neighborhood does not preclude them from visiting, traveling through, going to school, or working there.
That's true. And there are far more non-Black people in the DC metro area who travel in from Northern Virginia and Maryland to enjoy the city.

Besides, the people you are going to see most often in residential neighborhoods are going to be residents, not suburbanites who may live up to 45 minutes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Saying one does not see black people in Georgetown, for example, is a blatant lie. Saying one would not see black people near UDC, or Howard Law, or visiting or working at the stores/restaurants along Connecticut Ave would also be a lie. Residential percentages will not capture that. Again, there are very few places in DC where black people are not visible.
That's not what I said. You are selecting very specific places like Howard Law where, yeah, of course you are going to see Black people. I'm talking more about going to restaurants and other establishments or even walking the streets within certain neighborhoods where there will be few if any Black people, and even fewer ones in possession of a college degree. The reality, and it is a depressing reality, is that Black people in nearly all U.S. cities are economically excluded from the most transit-rich, amenity-rich areas of central cities and largely relegated to less walkable food deserts that offer long commutes to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM

College Degree Holders by Race

19119 (Ft. Greene, Brooklyn, NY)

White - 4,964
Black - 4,487
Asian - 191
Hispanic - 121

11205 (Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, NY)

White - 6,658
Black - 2,929
Asian - 1,046
Hispanic - 1,046

11216 (Stuyvesant Heights, Brooklyn, NY)

White - 8,338
Black - 7,068
Asian - 1,234
Hispanic - 1,681

10027 (Harlem, Manhattan, NY)

White - 9,114
Black - 5,056
Asian - 2,969
Hispanic - 2,083

20001 (Howard University, Washington, DC)

White - 14,086
Black - 3,603
Asian - 1,874
Hispanic - 1,731

30309 (Midtown, Atlanta, GA)

White - 10,571
Black - 1,157
Asian - 1,364
Hispanic - 487

30308 (Midtown, Atlanta, GA)

White - 6,619
Black - 1,577
Asian - 722
Hispanic - 683

60653 (Bronzeville, Chicago, IL)

White - 619
Black - 5,197
Asian - 203
Hispanic - 138

60615 (Hyde Park, Chicago, IL)

White - 6,172
Black - 6,509
Asian - 2,092
Hispanic - 638

10030 (Harlem, Manhattan, NY)

White - 2,082
Black - 3,309
Asian - 220
Hispanic - 919

10026 (Harlem, Manhattan, NY)

White - 5,357
Black - 4,324
Asian - 1,177
Hispanic - 1,583

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-19-2019 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 04:10 PM

Atlanta and DC have the most suburban Black affluence in the country, but surprisingly very little in their respective central cores. There's nothing really "chocolate-y" at all about the more urbanized parts of the metro Millennials are attracted to.

Not too familiar with Chicago, but Bronzeville and Hyde Park seem like walkable neighborhoods that have not succumbed completely to gentrification.

Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill and Bed-Stuy continue to be the strongest urban concentration of Black professionals in the country. Strivers Row in Harlem is still a solid neighborhood for the young Black professional.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:26 PM

51 posts, read 49,130 times
Are New York & Los Angeles the Co-Capitals of white America? There is no black capital, whites control DC, MD, ATl and GA, are there less poor blacks in atlanta and dc metro , yes, but the richest blacks live in NY and La, so what's the point?

Last edited by PaulGreggs55; 02-19-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Atlanta and DC have the most suburban Black affluence in the country, but surprisingly very little in their respective central cores. There's nothing really "chocolate-y" at all about the more urbanized parts of the metro Millennials are attracted to.

Not too familiar with Chicago, but Bronzeville and Hyde Park seem like walkable neighborhoods that have not succumbed completely to gentrification.

Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill and Bed-Stuy continue to be the strongest urban concentration of Black professionals in the country. Strivers Row in Harlem is still a solid neighborhood for the young Black professional.
Ward 7 and Ward 8 in DC are experiencing major development. Many commercial blocks of Ward 7 and 8 look just like U Street and 14th Street did in the year 2000. They will begin to look more like the core looks in 2019 over the next decade. Ward 7 and Ward 8 have the bones to look like Queen’s in New York I would say and there are a lot of college educated blacks in Ward 7 and 8. That’s who is buying the renovated homes in zip codes 20019, 20020, and 20032.

Neighborhoods like Parkside, Kenilworth, River Terrace, Benning, Anacostia, and Congress Heights will be the new black DC.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:27 PM

17 posts, read 11,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I get you man... I'm not Black but I'm very interested in why Black folks out of all racial groups have this need to stand separate from the rest... call me whatever you want but I don't understand why a city like SF or Seattle isn't also a Black mecca since all of my Black friends that live there are very successful and wealthy.
It's an acceptance issue. I'm a black immigrant and not necessarily authentically African American....and even with me, I felt more comfortable in Atlanta....I also felt treated better in Atlanta....COMPARED TO CHICAGO......and what you're saying is false because certain racial groups have a visible presence is SPECIFIC regions of the United states. Cubans tend to flock to Miami. Mexicans tend to flock to the Midwest and Texas. Eastern Europeans seem to prefer the Midwest. East Africans tend to be based in Minnesota. Asians flock to the L.A area and the west coast....so why is it a PROBLEM when African Americans seems to be Attracted to Atlanta and the DMV?....why is it labelled as "separation"?...probably better there are better networks and HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES in those area to help facilitate Empowerment.....probably because city mayors in those regions are black and can understand the NEEDS of black residents in those regions....tons of reasons......You're insinuating that blacks are the ONLY group that does this and that is simply not true....I personally prefer to live in San Diego because I love S.D in general but I'd be lying to myself if I said I'd do better is S.D.......I honestly feel more opportunities will come my way in Maryland than in S.D eventhough I'd be happier in S.D......If I decided to live in S.D as a man of color, I'd be doing so OUT OF CHOICE......not because of exceptional benefits.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghana_Mafia View Post
It's an acceptance issue. I'm a black immigrant and not necessarily authentically African American....and even with me, I felt more comfortable in Atlanta....I also felt treated better in Atlanta....COMPARED TO CHICAGO......and what you're saying is false because certain racial groups have a visible presence is SPECIFIC regions of the United states. Cubans tend to flock to Miami. Mexicans tend to flock to the Midwest and Texas. Eastern Europeans seem to prefer the Midwest. East Africans tend to be based in Minnesota. Asians flock to the L.A area and the west coast....so why is it a PROBLEM when African Americans seems to be Attracted to Atlanta and the DMV?....why is it labelled as "separation"?...probably better there are better networks and HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES in those area to help facilitate Empowerment.....probably because city mayors in those regions are black and can understand the NEEDS of black residents in those regions....tons of reasons......You're insinuating that blacks are the ONLY group that does this and that is simply not true....I personally prefer to live in San Diego because I love S.D in general but I'd be lying to myself if I said I'd do better is S.D.......I honestly feel more opportunities will come my way in Maryland than in S.D eventhough I'd be happier in S.D......If I decided to live in S.D as a man of color, I'd be doing so OUT OF CHOICE......not because of exceptional benefits.
That poster is Asian and has routinely displayed his prejudices with black Americans. He refuses to check himself, that's why he can make so crass a statement and not even blink. Trust, this isn't the first time he's given a false narrative about us, and usually will respond in defiance when confronted. It'd be a waste of time to think you can educate that guy on any depth of being black in America, he has all the answers already...

Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Seattle definitely. Maybe even Portland Oregon?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That poster is Asian and has routinely displayed his prejudices with black Americans. He refuses to check himself, that's why he can make so crass a statement and not even blink. Trust, this isn't the first time he's given a false narrative about us, and usually will respond in defiance when confronted. It'd be a waste of time to think you can educate that guy on any depth of being black in America, he has all the answers already...
I stopped reading his post after he said Seattle or SF should be considered a black mecca because he has some black friends that live there.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Seattle definitely. Maybe even Portland Oregon?
My vote is for Cheyenne, Wyoming I saw a black person standing in the middle of the street there one time when I drove up there from Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City