Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah it's wild; PG is looked down in metro DC more than DeKalb is in metro Atlanta. I think it's because DeKalb has Dunwoody/half of Perimeter, Emory, the CDC, and Decatur within its borders.
Interesting take on the evolution of PG County over time:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...7-668b51398b6f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM

9 posts, read 6,358 times
I consider black capitals to be places where blacks live , where money matters more than race

1) New York For Black America is Philadelphia and Dc combined

2) Los Angeles For Black America is Atlanta and Miami Combined

Last edited by 5thmadison; 03-17-2019 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-17-2019, 03:07 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thmadison View Post
I consider black capitals to be places where blacks live , where money matters more than race

1) New York For Black America is Philadelphia and Dc combined

2) Los Angeles For Black America is Atlanta and Miami Combined
What??

Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What??
Yeah this post makes no sense, maybe he was saying Los Angeles overall population has more people than Atlanta and Miami combined still has zero relevance to the black population since Atlanta has more than twice as many blacks than L.A. does and a far higher percentage.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:05 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Yeah this post makes no sense, maybe he was saying Los Angeles overall population has more people than Atlanta and Miami combined still has zero relevance to the black population since Atlanta has more than twice as many blacks than L.A. does and a far higher percentage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thmadison View Post

1) wall street For Black America is Philadelphia and Dc combined

2) hollywood For Black America is Atlanta and Miami Combined
my interpretation.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Do you have proof of that statement about Miami’s black population?
A relatively recent and interesting list: https://blackdemographics.com/popula...ty-population/

I think a lot of it has to do with the big Caribbean presence in the Miami area, but like some other places, I think the African American population in the area gets underestimated.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A relatively recent and interesting list: https://blackdemographics.com/popula...ty-population/

I think a lot of it has to do with the big Caribbean presence in the Miami area, but like some other places, I think the African American population in the area gets underestimated.
It absolutely does. Plenty of Black Americans in South Florida. Always has been and people want to erase that.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The first post isn't clear about whether it's city proper or metropolitan area but that became clear as the thread went on. I'm not sure why you want to be obtuse about this. Do you actually think it makes sense to discuss this topic and exclude suburban areas like PG and DeKalb counties and the "Best Southwest" in metro Dallas? Like seriously???
I'm back.

No if the conversation excludes metropolitan talk.
Yes, if the focus is strictly city proper.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
He's being obtuse about it because he keeps trying use selective statistics to push this false narrative that Houston is the blackest city or has the highest black population in the south. He can only do that by only considering the defined city limits since Houston proper is already the largest city in the South. Has nothing to do with it being blacker, there are just far more people in its city limits than all of the other Southern cities period.

As far as there being multiple capitals, of course there are multiple cities that have qualities and significance enough to be a black capital, but the point of this thread or any discussion like this is which ONE city most exemplifies the qualities and characteristics to be considered a black capital. The Root did a poll like this recently for black history month for which city is the blackest in America and Atlanta came out on top. Most polls like this Atlanta is usually going to come out on top but I do agree you can't really pick one city that represents the diversity of the black population.

https://www.theroot.com/bad-and-bouj...bla-1833042949
LoL, smh. You seem to let a historical fun fact go over your head. I said it in a historical sense and that ATL' s black commumity was larger prior to Houston's ( city proper wise).

If one will be chosen then I'll pick D.C for the De Facto Capital

Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
metro (better necta) makes more sense than city arbitrary boundarys.
i know boston (48 square miles). talking about boston in terms of a vacuum makes no sense due to new englands anti-annexation laws.

e.g. - somerville used to be a part of charlestown but has since separated into its own city; eventhough, charlestown is still technically within the boundary of the city of boston. about the same time new york city built the biggest suspension bridge connecting the city of brooklyn. the next year n.y.c. annexed brooklyn, and then bronx, and then queens, and then staten island (303 square miles).
since 1990 l.a. has made 7 annexations (the latest was in 2015). are you saying that when this thread started certain sections of metro l.a. cannot be considered but now because an imaginary line has been redrawn they are now magically pertinent.

do you honestly believe some random farm land within the political border of jacksonville, fl (747 square miles) is more pertinent to city culture than most of eastern mass. there are probably more t stations in cambridge, somerville, brookline, quincy, ... than within the borders of boston.
To put it bluntly, I prefer city proper over metro. Simple enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City