Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:40 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A lot of times people mean metros here when they say "cities." We live in a metropolitan nation now and most people aren't looking at hard and fast city boundaries when it comes to topics like this.
I think most people think city proper though. Anyone looking at a location thinks neighborhoods within the city before the burbs generally. If I'm visiting a city it's the proper nit the burbs unless i have a social network there. I take metro talk in these poles as secondary info not primary per say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I think most people think city proper though. Anyone looking at a location thinks neighborhoods within the city before the burbs generally. If I'm visiting a city it's the proper nit the burbs unless i have a social network there. I take metro talk in these poles as secondary info not primary per say.
I'm talking about topics here on C-D. Usually the context of the discussion will make it clear if city proper or metropolitan area is being referenced, but many times it is the metro even if the title says "city"--which is the case here. In practical terms, a city extends well beyond its municipal boundaries.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
I'm talking about topics here on C-D. Usually the context of the discussion will make it clear if city proper or metropolitan area is being referenced, but many times it is the metro even if the title says "city"--which is the case here. In practical terms, a city extends well beyond its municipal boundaries.
I keep checking back to the 1st post of the OP (9 years ago) and it's clearly city proper. Even the arguments back then was speaking of city proper. Regardless, this topic should be closed by now. No 1 city represents a de facto capital of Black America, it's multi-capitals .
ATL = Black Capital Of Georgia
DC= Black Capital Of Mid-Atlantic (?)
Houston = Black Capital Of Texas
NYC = Black Capital Of NY & East Coast

Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I keep checking back to the 1st post of the OP (9 years ago) and it's clearly city proper. Even the arguments back then was speaking of city proper. Regardless, this topic should be closed by now. No 1 city represents a de facto capital of Black America, it's multi-capitals .
The first post isn't clear about whether it's city proper or metropolitan area but that became clear as the thread went on. I'm not sure why you want to be obtuse about this. Do you actually think it makes sense to discuss this topic and exclude suburban areas like PG and DeKalb counties and the "Best Southwest" in metro Dallas? Like seriously???

Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
The first post isn't clear about whether it's city proper or metropolitan area but that became clear as the thread went on. I'm not sure why you want to be obtuse about this. Do you actually think it makes sense to discuss this topic and exclude suburban areas like PG and DeKalb counties and the "Best Southwest" in metro Dallas? Like seriously???
He's being obtuse about it because he keeps trying use selective statistics to push this false narrative that Houston is the blackest city or has the highest black population in the south. He can only do that by only considering the defined city limits since Houston proper is already the largest city in the South. Has nothing to do with it being blacker, there are just far more people in its city limits than all of the other Southern cities period.

As far as there being multiple capitals, of course there are multiple cities that have qualities and significance enough to be a black capital, but the point of this thread or any discussion like this is which ONE city most exemplifies the qualities and characteristics to be considered a black capital. The Root did a poll like this recently for black history month for which city is the blackest in America and Atlanta came out on top. Most polls like this Atlanta is usually going to come out on top but I do agree you can't really pick one city that represents the diversity of the black population.

https://www.theroot.com/bad-and-bouj...bla-1833042949

Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
metro (better necta) makes more sense than city arbitrary boundarys.
i know boston (48 square miles). talking about boston in terms of a vacuum makes no sense due to new englands anti-annexation laws.

e.g. - somerville used to be a part of charlestown but has since separated into its own city; eventhough, charlestown is still technically within the boundary of the city of boston. about the same time new york city built the biggest suspension bridge connecting the city of brooklyn. the next year n.y.c. annexed brooklyn, and then bronx, and then queens, and then staten island (303 square miles).
since 1990 l.a. has made 7 annexations (the latest was in 2015). are you saying that when this thread started certain sections of metro l.a. cannot be considered but now because an imaginary line has been redrawn they are now magically pertinent.

do you honestly believe some random farm land within the political border of jacksonville, fl (747 square miles) is more pertinent to city culture than most of eastern mass. there are probably more t stations in cambridge, somerville, brookline, quincy, ... than within the borders of boston.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
No matter how you look at it is, it’s still metro areas that we are discussing. Just look at the metro areas now, bro.

I actually kinda like your list. I think Atlanta’s boundaries need to be expanded to include a lot of the Southeast. Houston’s should be expanded to include a lot of Louisiana.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
He's being obtuse about it because he keeps trying use selective statistics to push this false narrative that Houston is the blackest city or has the highest black population in the south. He can only do that by only considering the defined city limits since Houston proper is already the largest city in the South. Has nothing to do with it being blacker, there are just far more people in its city limits than all of the other Southern cities period.

As far as there being multiple capitals, of course there are multiple cities that have qualities and significance enough to be a black capital, but the point of this thread or any discussion like this is which ONE city most exemplifies the qualities and characteristics to be considered a black capital. The Root did a poll like this recently for black history month for which city is the blackest in America and Atlanta came out on top. Most polls like this Atlanta is usually going to come out on top but I do agree you can't really pick one city that represents the diversity of the black population.

https://www.theroot.com/bad-and-bouj...bla-1833042949
That poll was a little more diverse than the CD one and included actual cities with some choices being a little absurd.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soolmr View Post
Atlanta
DC

NYC

Philly / Detroit / Charlotte

Dallas / Houston

Others
What you smoking? lol

Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soolmr View Post
Atlanta
DC

NYC

Philly / Detroit / Charlotte

Dallas / Houston

Others
DC (PG County is just a beast.)
Atlanta
NYC
Houston
Chicago
Philly
Charlotte
Dallas
Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City