Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:52 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Don’t throw shade, bro. Never once I thought Houston was blacker than Atlanta, but Houston doesn’t have far less blacks than DC or Atlanta (to an extent). NYC has far more blacks than any metro in the nation. Houston may be 17%, but it feels more than that due to the way blacks are distributed throughout the area and the fact Houston’s demographics have no majority. Blacks in Houston aren’t confined to one area like they are in DMV, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. NYC has blacks in different areas just like Houston, but the white percentage in Metro NYC is greater than Houston’s.

And before the Holy Trinity crucifies me, Houston is seen as an alternative to Atlanta; say what y’all want, people on social media are real people like us, so if most of them are saying the same thing, then something must be true.
Of course Houston is an alternative for some, as is Dallas, as is DC. It's all up to the individual person's preferences. A lot of blacks hate the sprawl of Atlanta, Houston and Dallas and would prefer a Chicago, New York, DC or Philly. I don't get what you're saying about people on social media. There are a lot of people moving to Texas for job opportunities right now. Some of them move, and move back for various reasons. Houston and Dallas both have a buzz to them right now as they are seen as the new place to be. Atlanta doesn't have the buzz that it had in the late 90s and early 2000s but black migration in particular in Atlanta is still seeing massive increased domestically and from the Caribbean in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:08 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Yes, Houston has more blacks than Atlanta has people, but we’re talking about metro areas. Atlanta’s suburbs make up most of its metro area, which also helped to give the city the status that it has. For that sake, it’s only fair to use metro metrics.
I understand your point yet the OP stated cities not metros to be fair. Even using metros is abit unbalance when listing qualities or themes to consider for a Black capital to some degree. Still fun topic and shoutout to Houston. I got to get there in the future.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Almost lol.. but I'm talking metros because that's the far more relevant comparison between cities in my opinion, but I can talk just the city population too since you seem to be stuck on that statistic like it's the only one that matters. Houston the city is only blacker than Atlanta the city in only sheer numbers. Again this is primarily due to Houston being a wayyyy larger city than Atlanta to begin with than being "blacker" than Atlanta. By percentages even with the gentrification going on, Atlanta the city is still way blacker than Houston. Houston is around 23.6% black compared to 54.0% for Atlanta for the 2010 census. Of cities that have 300,000 people or more within their city limits, only Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis and New Orleans have a higher percentage of blacks than Atlanta. For metro areas of over 1 million or more only Memphis has a higher percentage of blacks than Atlanta does.
I'm not stuck on it , you're just riding it as if I made it the only point. It was just an additional historical fun fact that some readers may not be aware of. More historical fun fact, I stated Houston's Black population have been largest since the 70s , prior then it was New Orleans. Also, ATL Black community was larger than Houston's Black community.

I talk about metros another time. In a nutshell like SouthernBoy stated , no singular Black capital. We have Black Capitals though for nearly every state ( especially in the South).

Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Of course Houston is an alternative for some, as is Dallas, as is DC. It's all up to the individual person's preferences. A lot of blacks hate the sprawl of Atlanta, Houston and Dallas and would prefer a Chicago, New York, DC or Philly. I don't get what you're saying about people on social media. There are a lot of people moving to Texas for job opportunities right now. Some of them move, and move back for various reasons. Houston and Dallas both have a buzz to them right now as they are seen as the new place to be. Atlanta doesn't have the buzz that it had in the late 90s and early 2000s but black migration in particular in Atlanta is still seeing massive increased domestically and from the Caribbean in particular.
I’m done with it.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I understand your point yet the OP stated cities not metros to be fair. Even using metros is abit unbalance when listing qualities or themes to consider for a Black capital to some degree. Still fun topic and shoutout to Houston. I got to get there in the future.
Houston is dope, but it can be annoying at times. It ain’t perfect. There’s so much going on in the black community, and I’m helping with the efforts! Look out for some cool stuff coming up!

Yea, we can sit and argue about the capitol, but no place is the capitol. My life as a black man doesn’t revolve around ATL, DC, Chicago, or NYC. Each place excels in a space where another one lacks. That’s true.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
I’m done with it.
lol don't get offended you know I like Houston but your comments making it seem like all black people just hate Atlanta were a little over the top.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
lol don't get offended you know I like Houston but your comments making it seem like all black people just hate Atlanta were a little over the top.
Trust me, I’m not offended at all. I said based on what I’d seen on social media, blacks hate Atlanta; yea, it’s an exaggeration. It’s all over YouTube and Lipstick Alley (no, I don’t have an account on there; I just lurk); when they hate Atlanta, they mostly look at Houston as an alternative. I read comments all the time on this. Don’t discredit social media as a way to gague things because it’s nothing more than another way to communicate, especially in the comments; it’s no more than what we’re doing.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Has anyone compared the differences between the majority black neighborhoods (80% - 100% black) in 2019 across the nation? How many full service grocery stores exist with bakeries, deli, butcher, florist, etc.? Sit down restaurants? New luxury apartment buildings with luxury amenities? If those black neighborhoods in city proper don't have these things, are the professional black people moving to other parts of the metro area to black neighborhoods that are 80% - 100% black, but have access to the things listed above?
i'll big-up mattapan, ma (according to wikipedia, its still 82 % black of all ethnicities). it has a few markets, boulangeries, pâtisseries, charcuteries, ...
not really luxary apartment buildings though. its mostly triple-deckers but gentrification hasnt hit yet (the average house is worth $ a quarter-million but only about 1/3rd own).

Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
A lot of times people mean metros here when they say "cities." We live in a metropolitan nation now and most people aren't looking at hard and fast city boundaries when it comes to topics like this.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Houston is dope, but it can be annoying at times. It ain’t perfect. There’s so much going on in the black community, and I’m helping with the efforts! Look out for some cool stuff coming up!

Yea, we can sit and argue about the capitol, but no place is the capitol. My life as a black man doesn’t revolve around ATL, DC, Chicago, or NYC. Each place excels in a space where another one lacks. That’s true.
That's quite true and i wondered what other categories that could be listed by professional capitals too. I have a relative that's over there or should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City