Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 03:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that in those areas, black people didn't necessarily migrate directly to the city center, but may have migrated directly to secondary city centers within those areas. Even in Boston, some black people went directly to Cambridge, Lynn, Medford and a few other first ring cities, as some have had visible black communities themselves for a long time. So, what sometimes happens is that people may move from the city center to a secondary or satellite city in the same area or to a nearby area.
1st wave into Cores

2nd wave into Cores, 1st wave into Surburbs

3rd wave & latter into nearby metros & suburbs with 1st wave & 2nd wave additionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 10:08 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You had it right the first time. I never heard anyone say "shaw-tee" west of the Mississippi. Certainly isn't big at all in Texas, Louisiana, or Arkansas. At least from my observations. Everytime I use to hear shaw-tee back in the day, I instantly thought Atlanta.
Back in 2nd grade I went school in Bowie, Md and even then they were talk bout you dont know me "Shod-ee". I ain't know wtf they were talking bout til I learned they were saying shorty!

Old 03-11-2020, 10:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that in those areas, black people didn't necessarily migrate directly to the city center, but may have migrated directly to secondary city centers within those areas. Even in Boston, some black people went directly to Cambridge, Lynn, Medford and a few other first ring cities, as some have had visible black communities themselves for a long time. So, what sometimes happens is that people may move from the city center to a secondary or satellite city in the same area or to a nearby area.
Yep. Lots of Black folks went to Newark and other north Jersey cities the same time as NYC. Likewise Gary, IN got a good chunk of transplants during the Great Migration.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:53 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Yea you could even add Chelsea into the mix. Funny thing is since 2000, Cambridge Boston and Medford have probably pushed ~10,000 blacks in Malden and Everett which have become migration center for foreign born blacks (they’ve probably added another 5-10,000 immigrants blacks).

Malden and Everett are now more diverse than those three. West Medford and East Cambridge/the Coast/the Port have changed a good deal, crime dropped to negligible levels and biotech and tech have eaten up tons of real estate that used to be cement factories, storage facilities, waste treatment etc...

Cambridge and Boston have more train access and Medford has a lot of SFH’s. Malden and Everett are full of neighborhoods that were never blockbusted, redlined, schools that never had busing and tons of lower costs 2/3 family multi-family homes. The great thing is they’re very close to the core of Boston. As a result, Malden and Everett are far more integrated with much lower income inequality than Cambridge and Boston.

Boston Globe called the hood life chances and social equity of he area “the Miracle in the Mystic (River)” they followed a bunch of black and brown youth growing up in that area in the 80s and 90s when those areas were still predominately white. They found they fared far better than their peers in Boston who were in segregated black and brown neighborhoods despite some similarities economically. They admit in the article they’ve got to cone back and study in the 2010s/2020s when all those areas are predominately minority. Here’s the link: https://apps.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...ateway-cities/

“Just north of Boston, on the other side of the Mystic River: an unlikely engine of upward mobility in a land of greasy spoons and auto body shops and modest two-family homes with chain-link fences.

The blue-collar cities of Chelsea, Revere, Everett, and Malden managed to put thousands of their poorest Black and Latino children on paths to upward mobility.

The gains were modest in places. But they were real. And for the researchers, they were a revelation.

Low-income Black and Latino children who grew up in the blue- and green-shaded neighborhoods in the 1980s and 1990s earned more as adults than peers who grew up in the orange- and red-shaded neighborhoods.

In Boston, poor kids of color were heavily concentrated in Dorchester and Roxbury — and they struggled to get ahead. But kids from similar backgrounds who grew up in large swaths of the blue-collar cities to the north — Chelsea, Revere, Everett, and Malden — did well.”

Overall though, the bulk of suburban/periphery settlement for black people has revolved around Brockton and its burbs.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-11-2020 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
still lmao @ seattle.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:05 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
still lmao @ seattle.
49er fan I see ya lol #Ninergang

Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. Lots of Black folks went to Newark and other north Jersey cities the same time as NYC. Likewise Gary, IN got a good chunk of transplants during the Great Migration.
Exactly, as industries such as steel in the case of Gary or auto manufacturing in the case of some Detroit suburbs like Inkster and River Rouge have black populations that came directly for work.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
I got curious on the city proper distribution portion of Black communities by metropolitan populations and these are not precise percentages. The difference in those residing in the city vs surburbs. For 2 cities combos i combined the urban core of both. ATL & Miami metros stands out for heavy Black surburban residence.

City core within metro:

NYC- 3.45M (59%)
Detroit- 960K (55%)
Philly- 1.27M (52%)
Chicago- 1.59M (51%)
Baltimore - 812K (46%)
Houston- 1.14M (45%)
Dallas- 1.09M(45%)
DMV- 1.54M (21%)
Los Angeles- 882K( 40%)
ATL- 1.92M (13%)
Miami- 1.28M (11%)

Bonus: Jackson- 284K (47%)

Old 03-14-2020, 11:22 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I got curious on the city proper distribution portion of Black communities by metropolitan populations and these are not precise percentages. The difference in those residing in the city vs surburbs. For 2 cities combos i combined the urban core of both. ATL & Miami metros stands out for heavy Black surburban residence.

City core within metro:

NYC- 3.45M (59%)
Detroit- 960K (55%)
Philly- 1.27M (52%)
Chicago- 1.59M (51%)
Baltimore - 812K (46%)
Houston- 1.14M (45%)
Dallas- 1.09M(45%)
DMV- 1.54M (21%)
Los Angeles- 882K( 40%)
ATL- 1.92M (13%)
Miami- 1.28M (11%)

Bonus: Jackson- 284K (47%)
This isn’t apples to apples. Political boundaries for cities are arbitrary. Houston, for instance, has a huge land mass that is considered “city core” but looks more like the suburbs of NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, and Baltimore in comparison.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:40 AM

561 posts, read 513,683 times
This thread started nearly 10 years ago and y’all still have it wrong..

The Capital of Black America is Omaha. End of discussion..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City