Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
As you know Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S.Largely due to the number of blacks,Blacks in Atlanta live EVERYWHERE.Its highly integrated.There are no Polish,Irish,or Italian neighborhoods.If anything its all about the classes.

As far as universities go.Atlanta has the largest number of HBCU's than any city in America.You also failed to mention Clark Atlanta University and the International Theological Seminary.

And even in "mainstream" schools like Georgia State University,Ga Tech,Emory and S.C.A.D. just to name a few,blacks are still better than average.

Atlanta has the largest concentration of Black millionaires in the country.It has the highest number of African immigrants than any other city in the U.S.Recently,Senegal moved its consulate from NYC to Atlanta.

There are several neighborhoods like the Westend,Colier Heights:Collier Heights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,The Cascades,Peyton Forest,East Lake,Edgewood,Auburn Ave etc, that are majority or large numbers of A.A.

Also the educational attainment for blacks is the highest among major cities (except maybe D.C.) 21%
Chicago its 15%,NYC 16%,(2000 census)

Cultural and historical Atlanta has as strong a case than most cities.Its also been consistently a good place for black.

The crime rates are not that different now a days.We are not talking major differences.Atlanta is no more dangerous than Chicago or Philly.Its all relative
They don't call it the Promise land for blacks for nothing. When I graduate I should follow suit with the rest of black America. Great post !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM

49 posts, read 105,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
I voted for New Orleans
New Orleans hands down....Has any of these cities listed maintained the music from Africa like New Orleans? Don't forget New Orleans has the oldest Black neighborhood in the United States and Oldest Black Operating church in America too....These videos below are proven proof why New Orleans is the real Black capital of the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBO0w5bVyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBO0w5bVyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJW2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Nwv...x=0&playnext=1

Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM

49 posts, read 105,270 times
I voted New Orleans.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
From my visit to Atlanta, it seems like the entire scene of the city revolves around the African American hip hop culture. I would say that they are the black capital of America.
LOL!!! Are you for real with this mess?

Either you have never been to Atlanta, or you are simply manufacturing things to make some sort of bizarro point here.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
From my visit to Atlanta, it seems like the entire scene of the city revolves around the African American hip hop culture. I would say that they are the black capital of America.
I totally agree with you....

Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 PM

179 posts, read 402,410 times
I think presently, Atlanta wins. HANDS DOWN.
But if it were historical culture, I think New York would definitely be important. You have Harlem and its famous theater etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Then the same goes for you - you have either never been here, or simply can't stand the fact that Fort Worth isn't even an option.

Anyone that actually lives here - black, white or otherwise - will tell you that this statement is beyond ridiculous.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Correction: Chicago is more of an Irish-ran city and a Polish Mecca.

True, but Chicago do have a lot of Black Aldermen/women, state officials and US representatives.

Fact: There's only been 6 black US Senators in US History and three of them are from Illinois (Carol Moseley Braun, Barack Obama and Roland Burris). In fact since the election of Oscar De Priest, Illinois has produced more US Reps than any other state (Chicago has a large number of them). Also, the Illinois's 1st congressional district (aka da Southside/blackbelt of Chicago) has had a Black US Rep since 1929.

Blacks might not run Chicago, but they have ran Cook County since 1994 (Stroger and Son) and another congressional district that covers the areas south of Chicago. So even if Blacks don't run Chicago, they still run Crook County along with most of the "Soufside".

I agree with this statement. However, the southside has come a looooong way. Bronzeville is an up-and-coming trendy area, the South Loop (Roosevelt to Cermack) looks like an freakin downtown and did you forget about Hyde Park? These areas are pretty diverse and has a large number of Blacks.

Atlanta isn't that different. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Buckhead a "Black" area? I always figured it was a majority White area.
What does Buckhead have to do with anything?Its one neighborhood.

I'll give you this one. However, as good of schools as Howard, Spellman and Moorehouse are, those three together don't hold a candle to the University of Chicago. Emory or Georgetown would be a better comparison.For the black community they most certainly DO.Look at the Black Alumni of each.
Morehouse:List of Morehouse College alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Georgia Institute of Technology(GA Tech)graduates more black engineers than any other school in America

Also, Chicago has some of the top schools in the Nation (Northwestern, U of C, IIT, DePaul, etc.). Chicago do have a few "majority Black" schools like East-West, Chicago State, Robert Morris, etc. Ok... maybe they aren't HBCU's.... and maybe they aren't "top tier" schools like Howard, but there are a loooooot of colleges and universities in the Chicago area with a looooooot of Black students enrolled in them. Heck, New Orleans has Dillard, Xavier and Southern. Does that make it a Black Mecca?
You greatly under exagerate the black student population in Atlanta.
Atlanta is THIRD in total number of African American students.(This is not a percentage)

The same can be said for Chicago. Crime in this city has been oooofff the meter lately. However, most large urban areas with 5 million people and up are going to have high poverty and crime rates. Secondly, most of the "successful" Blacks in many of these so-called Meccas live in the burbs. Thus, you can say that cities like the ATL is only a "Black mecca" for successful blacks and hell for the unsuccessful ones.

One thing I do like about the ATL is that when people do come up, they don't leave like many folks have been doing lately in Chicago. It seems as though Blacks can be comfortably rich in that city. Unlike Chicago, where most of the rich folks and all the amenities are far away from the Black folks. Fortunately, this appears to be changing little.

Anyway sorry for the looooooong post.
You made some good points though.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
You aren’t no better with your conspiracies regarding "New World Order".
Touche, but there are at least some truths to what I speak of, it's just that people don't want to open their damn eyes or take their masks off to see what's really going on in this evil ass world. Do your research, sweetheart.

Either way, it sounds a lot more plausible than some sort of "black media" conspiracy from BET of all sources to make all black people move to Atlanta. While it's pretty sad that there are people out there who just go by what the media tells them to do, but it's even sadder when people believe it and feed into it like you are. I have a mind of my own, I like Atlanta, but I know I wouldn't live there. I have a great time whenever I visit, but it's not the city for me.

Like I said earlier, stay mad because people aren't checking for Fort Worth like you want them to. Lovely town, but it's not on the radar for a lot of black folks, sorry.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 10-19-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Stop trolling!LOL.You know that is not true.Unless you have never been here then I can understand why many people think that.Its so far from the truth though.I can go many places easily in the city and not feel like I am anywhere but in another major diverse city in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City