Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Bu who really cares? Except some diehard urbanophiles on C-D? I am from the very heart of the mighty Northeast and would never move back. DC is nice. Atlanta is nice. They are two different cities with two different personalities. But I personally prefer the Southeast, as does MOST of my friends and family who either have already left the area or wish they could get out. However, I would move to DC way before going back the the "true" NE, which is in the upper NE regions, but still I prefer Atlanta and it's lifestyle option and cost of living over DC. There is enough "NE standard" of urban living in ATL if I ever wanted that also.
I actually know many people who think Atlanta is country. You probably like that lifestyle so to each his own. D.C. is the Mid-atlantic really. I should probably start differentiating it because if you know DC, we don't identify with any of you north or south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM

229 posts, read 520,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I actually know many people who think Atlanta is country. You probably like that lifestyle so to each his own. D.C. is the Mid-atlantic really. I should probably start differentiating it because if you know DC, we don't identify with any of you north or south.
Deep Alabama and Mississippi is country. Atlanta is not country. Again, by your own standards DC, compared to NYC is country.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
It's pretty obvious that Atlanta is the Capital of Black America; it's been a successful area for decades for African-Americans ranging from movie directors to entrepreneur's to civil right leaders to musicians. But it's weird anytime in Atlanta I don't see as many African-Americans as I suspect it to be but I always see plenty native Africans.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Deep Alabama and Mississippi is country. Atlanta is not country. Again, by your own standards DC, compared to NYC is country.
D.C. is country compared to Manhattan. Have you been to Manhattan? Every city in the nation is country compared to Manhattan. Some cities are just more urban simple as that. New York is way more urban than D.C. and D.C. is way more urban than Atlanta. Problem with New York is black people don't run that city. So I may get very urban in NYC, but I won't get the black scene I get in D.C. I may get the black professional scene in Atlanta, but I can't get an urban environment. D.C. offers both. That is the only point I have been making.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM

229 posts, read 520,820 times
Quote:
D.C. is country compared to Manhattan. Have you been to Manhattan? Every city in the nation is country compared to Manhattan. Some cities are just more urban simple as that. New York is way more urban than D.C. and D.C. is way more urban than Atlanta. Problem with New York is black people don't run that city. So I may get very urban in NYC, but I won't get the black scene I get in D.C. I may get the black professional scene in Atlanta, but I can't get an urban environment. D.C. offers both. That is the only point I have been making.
I've been to Manhattan over 150 times. I used to spend every summer of my youth with family in Brooklyn. We'd take the train from Canarsie into "the city" all the time to hang our haggling with the merchants on Delancey street, and beat the 3-card marly crooks at their own game I know what urbanity is. I've grew up and lived in metro Boston and Providence. I've travelled to well over 15 nations and still do. Been to 47 US states and every major metro in the US, including Honolulu. Yes, compared to ATL, DC is more urban. But my point is "so what". Blacks or most other groups don't move to a place based on statistics on how many PPSM live in that environment.

People are attracted to a place (Blacks included) based on much more important factors, such as can they get a J-O-B, and if the COL is at least consistent with average wages. As well as a host of other reasons such as school for their kids. Which is one of the reasons most upwardly mobile Blacks do not want to live in inner city DC (or most other urban locations), because the schools are abysmal.

Again, DC is nice. But it is not that special. Neither is Atlanta. But both are nice places that can offer the same basic things and well as a little something different for an individual.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the income level dropping in Atlanta which signals a surge in unqualified workers. Many people moving to Atlanta are looking for service jobs which is why many people on your own forum on city-data.com talk about the income level dropping from low qualified new residents fueling the growth in the region. As for the people moving to Atlanta, the census data will tell you most people that move to Atlanta actually come from surrounding states. I have read threads on the Atlanta forum where this topic was discussed and you have also participated in them so don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.
You are deflecting like hell. There have been absolutely NO threads in the Atlanta forum about people from other parts of the South that move to Atlanta lacking education--NONE. Show it to me if you're so certain.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You are deflecting like hell. There have been absolutely NO threads in the Atlanta forum about people from other parts of the South that move to Atlanta lacking education--NONE. Show it to me if you're so certain.
Dont worry just a troller!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I didn't say threads meaning thread titles. I said people have brought up the topic. It mainly comes up when people complain about people moving to Atlanta without jobs or when they come to the forum looking for service jobs. Posters quickly tell them it's hard to get service jobs and they should have jobs lined up before moving. You don't remember this topic coming up over and over again? It's normally the reason people on the Atlanta forum complain about too many people moving there compared to jobs.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I didn't say threads meaning thread titles. I said people have brought up the topic. It mainly comes up when people complain about people moving to Atlanta without jobs or when they come to the forum looking for service jobs. Posters quickly tell them it's hard to get service jobs and they should have jobs lined up before moving. You don't remember this topic coming up over and over again? It's normally the reason people on the Atlanta forum complain about too many people moving there compared to jobs.
There's only one thread I can remember where someone came in the ATL forum asking about this, and they were from metro DC.

At any rate, you still have no source about Southerners lacking education moving to Atlanta. One of the largest contingent of people without college degrees moving to Atlanta are older people from up North who can retire down here and live comfortable off their pensions.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I've been to Manhattan over 150 times. I used to spend every summer of my youth with family in Brooklyn. We'd take the train from Canarsie into "the city" all the time to hang our haggling with the merchants on Delancey street, and beat the 3-card marly crooks at their own game I know what urbanity is. I've grew up and lived in metro Boston and Providence. I've travelled to well over 15 nations and still do. Been to 47 US states and every major metro in the US, including Honolulu. Yes, compared to ATL, DC is more urban. But my point is "so what". Blacks or most other groups don't move to a place based on statistics on how many PPSM live in that environment.

People are attracted to a place (Blacks included) based on much more important factors, such as can they get a J-O-B, and if the COL is at least consistent with average wages. As well as a host of other reasons such as school for their kids. Which is one of the reasons most upwardly mobile Blacks do not want to live in inner city DC (or most other urban locations), because the schools are abysmal.

Again, DC is nice. But it is not that special. Neither is Atlanta. But both are nice places that can offer the same basic things and well as a little something different for an individual.
Ummm....see this is the problem. When did I say people move places with the sole factor or even most important factor being urban or suburban environments? It is not the sole factor but people consider it when they choose a home. It's why some people move to more suburban environments too. Lifestyle choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City