Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Wow if I've ever seen a hater lmao...First of all Atlanta is an amazing city. Maybe not the best but one of the best by far. Almost every black person I know plans on moving to Atlanta at some point in their life. Not because it's been hyped up but because they have been there and they love the culture, hospitality, and overall vibe of the city. Have you ever been to Atlanta? If you have you don't like it then that's fine it's your opinion but don't get upset because Atlanta is (and has always been) one of the most important cities in American history.
You do realize that the largest percentage of black people moving to Atlanta is coming from southern states right? Atlanta and DC share the same relationship as NYC and LA in my opinion, but obviously for different reason's. Both are major cities with a lot in common socially being the black capitals of the nation just like NYC and LA are the social and fashion capitals of the nation. Both cities are also extremely different like NYC and LA. DC is extremely urban, dense, and way faster. Atlanta is spread out, laid back, slower, and cheaper to live. People move to each city for completely different reasons. Atlanta offers many options with the minority being urban like high rises in midtown. The majority of the city includes living in a beautiful home with a lovely yard and greenery. Cars are mainly the sole means of transport. DC offers urban living options mainly consisting of row houses, or dense condo/apartment buildings without yards and driveways. DC is built to live without a car where walking/biking/or rapid transit is the easiest way to get to everything in the city. Atlanta is more of a drive to my destination city. Two cities with completely different strengths and weaknesses. Both offering different lifestyles yet, both having a wonderful quality of life. It just boiles down to lifestyle choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm black and personally I've had it with black America. I don't want to live nowhere near too many black folk anymore. I can't stand the color and victim mentality that is so prevalent in our communities. I just want to be a normal American. I don't want to talk about the white man, racism, and all that crap. It don't matter where you go or what economic level blacks are at. They always have this same mentality. And it's freaking ignorant. Just live where you wanna live damn it. Why does it have to be where black people are at? Half of the time they are too busy judging you for being successful. So why live where a majority of them are at? Lol Next.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
I wouldn't exactly call Atlanta slow. @ Mdallstar

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't exactly call Atlanta slow. @ Mdallstar
LA isn't slow either except when compared to NYC. Atlanta isn't slow either except when compared to DC. I didn't mean the city is slow period. I meant the city is slow compared to DC. The whole post was about the comparison.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
I'm black and personally I've had it with black America. I don't want to live nowhere near too many black folk anymore. I can't stand the color and victim mentality that is so prevalent in our communities. I just want to be a normal American. I don't want to talk about the white man, racism, and all that crap. It don't matter where you go or what economic level blacks are at. They always have this same mentality. And it's freaking ignorant. Just live where you wanna live damn it. Why does it have to be where black people are at? Half of the time they are too busy judging you for being successful. So why live where a majority of them are at? Lol Next.
The West is your friend. And I'm not being sarcastic, the Western US cities, especially those in the Southwest, Mountain West, and Pacific Northwest, are perhaps the only places where you'll be seen as an American before being seen as a "black person." And you don't even have to move all the way to the West Coast, in fact, I'd personally avoid SF and LA proper, as those are just cities carpetbagged with racist white East Coast and Midwest transplants, and immigrants from countries that hate blacks (Mexico & China).

And as far as "judging you for being successful," the bigger "black meccas" they are, the worst it is. I live in what is considered by the "community" as the 2nd best city for blacks, and most blacks I run into give me constant s**t for not being black enough because I have a steady job and a college degree in something useful, and this includes family members. And mind you, I was raised here, but I get no damn brownie points for being a "local."

Props to you for having the balls to speak against the tide, but be ready for the backlash you're going to receive for responses.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Sounds like the problem is the people you're associating yourself with. LOL at "a normal American." I suppose being Black is abnormal to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You do realize that the largest percentage of black people moving to Atlanta is coming from southern states right? Atlanta and DC share the same relationship as NYC and LA in my opinion, but obviously for different reason's. Both are major cities with a lot in common socially being the black capitals of the nation just like NYC and LA are the social and fashion capitals of the nation. Both cities are also extremely different like NYC and LA. DC is extremely urban, dense, and way faster. Atlanta is spread out, laid back, slower, and cheaper to live. People move to each city for completely different reasons. Atlanta offers many options with the minority being urban like high rises in midtown. The majority of the city includes living in a beautiful home with a lovely yard and greenery. Cars are mainly the sole means of transport. DC offers urban living options mainly consisting of row houses, or dense condo/apartment buildings without yards and driveways. DC is built to live without a car where walking/biking/or rapid transit is the easiest way to get to everything in the city. Atlanta is more of a drive to my destination city. Two cities with completely different strengths and weaknesses. Both offering different lifestyles yet, both having a wonderful quality of life. It just boiles down to lifestyle choices.
You're exaggerating just a tad with the differences, I think. As far as Blacks go in both metros, both are opting for the suburbs--with their cars.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sounds like the problem is the people you're associating yourself with. LOL at "a normal American." I suppose being Black is abnormal to you.

You're exaggerating just a tad with the differences, I think. As far as Blacks go in both metros, both are opting for the suburbs--with their cars.
Most black people opt for cars nationwide when they have the choice. I meant the difference between the urbanity and living style of the cities. Many people prefer not to move south because they prefer a more urban lifestyle. If you don't see major differences between DC and Atlanta when it comes to urban lifestyle, then obviously you have never visited the two cities. Even if someone wants to live in the suburbs in DC, you still can go into the city which is a different experience than going into the city in Atlanta.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Most black people opt for cars nationwide when they have the choice. I meant the difference between the urbanity and living style of the cities. Many people prefer not to move south because they prefer a more urban lifestyle. If you don't see major differences between DC and Atlanta when it comes to urban lifestyle, then obviously you have never visited the two cities. Even if someone wants to live in the suburbs in DC, you still can go into the city which is a different experience than going into the city in Atlanta.
Aren't we specifically talking about Black folks in this thread? In both metros, the cities proper are losing Blacks and they are headed for the suburbs. The way Black folks live in both cities isn't drastically different.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Aren't we specifically talking about Black folks in this thread? In both metros, the cities proper are losing Blacks and they are headed for the suburbs. The way Black folks live in both cities isn't drastically different.
Well, actually, the way black people live in DC proper is drastically different than black people in Atlanta proper. DC is still a 50% black city of over 600,000 people. There is a major difference in lifestyle of black people living in DC proper compared to Atlanta proper. Have you actually visited these cities? They aren't even comparable. There is no similarity in the pace of these cities, vibrancy of these cities, or built environment of these cities.

You may want to research black gentrification. It's happening in DC too. Black professionals are moving back into the city as poor black people move out.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
DC is a great place for blacks but Atlanta is right up there with us on black professions and much ahead of us on black entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City