Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly in many ways this does make sense; Philly is somewhat of an outlier in PA overall and in many ways shares as much (in many ways more) culturally with NJ lets say as does overall to the remainder of PA. But also remember that ~50% of the states population lives within 50 miles of Philly and PA is a pretty large state. Now Philly is the city that pops to my mind for PA (but I was born here and have returned to reside here so I am poor barameter on that), but if just asked to associate a thought with PA I am not sure it would be Philly, as a state I think of mountains, small towns, rolling countryside etc.. In many ways I think people associate with the region as much as the state in the NE Corrider

That's exactly what I was thinking. Philly is the more important urban center, but when I think of PA it's generally the rolling hills, PA Dutch, etc. They're complete stereotypes (I don't spend a ton of time in PA), but it's what comes to mind. I think of Philly Separately from my PA generalizations. I also think of Philly as a much larger, important and more integrated (with surrounding states and metros) urban area than the rest of PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Honestly in many ways this does make sense; Philly is somewhat of an outlier in PA overall and in many ways shares as much (in many ways more) culturally with NJ lets say as does overall to the remainder of PA. But also remember that ~50% of the states population lives within 50 miles of Philly and PA is a pretty large state. Now Philly is the city that pops to my mind for PA (but I was born here and have returned to reside here so I am poor barameter on that), but if just asked to associate a thought with PA I am not sure it would be Philly, as a state I think of mountains, small towns, rolling countryside etc.. In many ways I think people associate with the region as much as the state in the NE Corrider
I sorry this make NO SENSE....A person can clearly tell when they're in Philadelphia and in Jersey. When I lived in Philly I found A LOT of residences had this barrier with anything in NJ almost the same way Pittsburgh does with OH, They simply tell you "I dont go to Jersey" I heard that almost everyday.

Philadelphia is PA first and for most, otherwise it would not be the first people think of when they here PA.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia DO NOT live in each other shadow, they're the capital cities of their Metro Area..Pittsburgh more so than Philly because of the NYC influences that have pushed greatly into Philly's sphere.

Philly is going to get the lions share of 1st city, simply because its the larger city Pittsburgh, nothing more.

I noticed looking at most of the replies here, the 1st city thought of is also the largest city in those same states....Gee what Diverse and Eclectic group opinions.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Arizona - Phoenix
California - San Diego
Florida - Orlando
Missouri - St Louis
New Jersey - Newark
North Carolina - Charlotte
Ohio - Cleveland
Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh
Tennessee - Memphis
Texas - Houston

Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I sorry this make NO SENSE....A person can clearly tell when they're in Philadelphia and in Jersey. When I lived in Philly I found A LOT of residences had this barrier with anything in NJ almost the same way Pittsburgh does with OH, They simply tell you "I dont go to Jersey" I heard that almost everyday.

Philadelphia is PA first and for most, otherwise it would not be the first people think of when they here PA.

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia DO NOT live in each other shadow, they're the capital cities of their Metro Area..Pittsburgh more so than Philly because of the NYC influences that have pushed greatly into Philly's sphere.

Philly is going to get the lions share of 1st city, simply because its the larger city Pittsburgh, nothing more.

I noticed looking at most of the replies here, the 1st city thought of is also the largest city in those same states....Gee what Diverse and Eclectic group opinions.
It's funny, this is true. Many NE Ohioans do not go into PA and ignore it all together, its like you just want to skip over it to get to New York and dare I say... New Jersey!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Actually, this does make sense to me. It's not that Philly isn't in PA, of course. I simply find that Philly has more in common with NJ and the rest of the northeast than it does with the rest of PA. As another way of illustrating this, I find heading north and/or west feels more "foreign" to me than heading east - smaller towns, farms and rolling hills/foothills/mtns, etc. v. the flatter, denser confines of NJ. Also, I personally don't really hear this refrain "I don't go to Jersey" too much either. Lots of folks do their big box shopping there and of course this being summer, the local playground is "down the shore."

If the question is the first city that comes to mind in PA - yea, Philly. As you noted:
Quote:
Pittsburgh, however, would be a better choice for a city more typical of PA, IMO, even though it might not be the best choice.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

Thanks for the Pittsburgh perspective, not sure I agree but thanks anyway

And all that NY influence; you mean the number of NYers moving to Philly? Philadelphia has and will always retain its own identity; the areas to the North of philly in Jersey do blend in the burbs as there is no real break in the development between the two so some areas are more grey so to speak but as a City; there is no doubt that Philly stands alone with a singular identity

Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the Pittsburgh perspective, not sure I agree but thanks anyway

And all that NY influence; you mean the number of NYers moving to Philly? Philadelphia has and will always retain its own identity; the areas to the North of philly in Jersey do blend in the burbs as there is no real break in the development between the two so some areas are more grey so to speak but as a City; there is no doubt that Philly stands alone with a singular identity
Where do you think that 8K+ in population growth came from over the last decade....

Has nothing to do with Pittsburgh perspective....has to do with Philly vs. NJ perspective, and most native Philadelphiaians will not go to Jersey.

I know the Philly cheerleaders like to think they're more associated with NJ because its more liberal and PA is more conservative. So its more "popular" I guess to be associated with NJ.

But Pittsburgh/Philadelphia and PA are much like the cities of TX...in that they're islands of Blue in a sea of Red.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Where do you think that 8K+ in population growth came from over the last decade....

Has nothing to do with Pittsburgh perspective....has to do with Philly vs. NJ perspective, and most native Philadelphiaians will not go to Jersey.

I know the Philly cheerleaders like to think they're more associated with NJ because its more liberal and PA is more conservative. So its more "popular" I guess to be associated with NJ.

But Pittsburgh/Philadelphia and PA are much like the cities of TX...in that they're islands of Blue in a sea of Red.
I've never heard of "I don't go to NJ" or vice versa. Thats actually kind of ridiculous seeing as where people may live in NJ but work in Philly or vice versa. Also as someone else mentioned its now the time of year where everyone goes to the shore..so you're completely wrong..having "lived" in Philly you would know this. They're practically on top of each other.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
I've never heard of "I don't go to NJ" or vice versa. Thats actually kind of ridiculous seeing as where people may live in NJ but work in Philly or vice versa. Also as someone else mentioned its now the time of year where everyone goes to the shore..so you're completely wrong..having "lived" in Philly you would know this. They're practically on top of each other.
Well I have, again I heard it all the time and most from Native Philadelphiaians, not a bunch of Center City Transplants.....

Most people living in Philly, work somewhere PA or DE...very few work in NJ, now alot of NJ people do commute to PA or DE as well for work, and these same NJ commuters will be the first to tell you "I from South Jersey" they do not assoicate themselves with being from Philly.

And going to shore has nothing to do with with "Associating with NJ"...Unfortunatly if want to go to beach you must go to the Jersey shore, PA doesnt have beaches.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Well I have, again I heard it all the time and most from Native Philadelphiaians, not a bunch of Center City Transplants.....

Most people living in Philly, work somewhere PA or DE...very few work in NJ, now alot of NJ people do commute to PA or DE as well for work, and these same NJ commuters will be the first to tell you "I from South Jersey" they do not assoicate themselves with being from Philly.

And going to shore has nothing to do with with "Associating with NJ"...Unfortunatly if want to go to beach you must go to the Jersey shore, PA doesnt have beaches.
ok. Although you just said people from Philly say "I don't go to NJ" but this is silly, you're in pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City