Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I agree a school doesn't automatically make a city world class what so ever. However Boston does have it's merits. A high quality of living, a strong economy (one that is very much related to there stellar schools), good places to eat, a lot of history. I think if you add all these things up Boston can make a strong case of being a very world-class boutique city.

Out of this list though, I still think Atlanta has the best chance of maturing a bit more into a world class city. I honestly don't think it is as close as some people try to make it out to be. I have been to Atlanta twice, and both times I went with southerns and they def gave me the impression that Hotlanta is the big city of dixieland.
I would agree with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
Because artists hate the outdoors, they're bookworms, really, they just can't stand living in cities with cheap quality alcohol and now even legal weed. Yep, it makes plenty of sense why artists, who have always been the most straitlaced and square among us will be turned off by this heathen pleasure dome out west. Whatever list you're looking at that says it's not in the top 20 of vibrant, living arts culture in the US is likely at least a decade old, unless you've made it up yourself. High incomes of potential patrons, the easy to find straight gigs, the lifestyle, and all the urban amenities have made it a very popular relocation place for US and international artists in the last few years, just as it's a popular relocation place for everybody else.

Not counting Aspen and a few other mountain festivals outside the metro, it's lagging a bit in the performing arts still, but otherwise it's very strong.
Nothing you write here does anything to explain why Denver would be comparable to Barcelona and a global cultural heavyweight.

I mean, seriously? High incomes? Huh? What does that have to do with cultural vibrancy?

Urban amenities? What city outside the U.S. is less urban than Denver? Is there even one? Outside of NYC, no U.S. city can match up with or surpass Barcelona in urban amenities.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:59 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Actually, Atlanta, and especially Miami, are quite behind Houston and Dallas in that department.
Miami: Do you know Claudia?
Atlanta: "I know of Claudia, yeah."

Houston and Dallas:

Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Nothing you write here does anything to explain why Denver would be comparable to Barcelona and a global cultural heavyweight.

I mean, seriously? High incomes? Huh? What does that have to do with cultural vibrancy?

Urban amenities? What city outside the U.S. is less urban than Denver? Is there even one? Outside of NYC, no U.S. city can match up with or surpass Barcelona in urban amenities.
Someone on this thread claimed that Denver is comparable to Barcelona?

I guess we might as well compare Salt Lake City to London.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:04 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
World-Class or being of the highest caliber in the world. For the most part this means comparing the cities here to those in Europe and that's rather like apples to oranges. The first thing that came to mind about many on the list was the amount of crime they have. The other thing I immediately thought of was that World-class made the list of overused words.

World-Class based on what exactly? Livability perhaps? Well that depends on where ya sit. For those living in the Camps Bay area of Cape Town life differs greatly from those living in the Cape Flats. The worker bee's continue to get squeezed, and are very angry at the way the country continues to go. But it's a beautiful city and certainly a nice place to visit and live especially if you're loaded.

It does seem this thread is more speaking of which cities are growing and progressing the fastest and have features that attract folks to the city.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:20 AM

528 posts, read 866,734 times
Tampa Bay fails to make it in here again but guess what that's ok. More space for me when I move back there! I thank god people aren't moving in droves there like they are to Denver or Houston or Phoenix now but I don't want to let that secret out so shh.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 AM

465 posts, read 658,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

You seriously don't understand the correlation between high incomes and high culture? I'm just as incredulous of you as you are of me, here. Art isn't cheap, it never has been. Florence didn't become Florence because artists went there for the architecture. They went for the Medici's money. Artists don't make a living selling only to other artists. Because of this, as a city's incomes rise, the quality of its arts rapidly rise with them. This happened in Dallas a bit over 20 years ago. It used to be as much the hick town you seem to see Denver as, and then overnight, everybody had to be there, it seemed everyone in NY and LA had some piece of art from Texas.

Denver's undergoing a similar transformation culturally. This gives it cultural vibrancy. Artists want to be there and more and more are relocating. It means those of us that deal in the contemporary arts have to deal more and more with Denver the last few years. There's no other city in the US that's currently moving like this in my field, except perhaps Minneapolis because of large grants making organizations there like the Jerome Foundation. You don't have to believe me, I hope many don't because it's also creating a bit of a lucrative arbitrage situation.

Denver's more dense than Chicago and Washington D.C. (see http://cltblog.com/files/2014/01/cox-charlotte-1.png ) Yes, it's an American city which by default will be less dense than global cities, but that doesn't mean as much in terms of vibrancy as income and the amount of artists.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
You seriously don't understand the correlation between high incomes and high culture? I'm just as incredulous of you as you are of me, here. Art isn't cheap, it never has been. Florence didn't become Florence because artists went there for the architecture. They went for the Medici's money. Artists don't make a living selling only to other artists. Because of this, as a city's incomes rise, the quality of its arts rapidly rise with them. This happened in Dallas a bit over 20 years ago. It used to be as much the hick town you seem to see Denver as, and then overnight, everybody had to be there, it seemed everyone in NY and LA had some piece of art from Texas.

Denver's undergoing a similar transformation culturally. This gives it cultural vibrancy. Artists want to be there and more and more are relocating. It means those of us that deal in the contemporary arts have to deal more and more with Denver the last few years. There's no other city in the US that's currently moving like this in my field, except perhaps Minneapolis because of large grants making organizations there like the Jerome Foundation. You don't have to believe me, I hope many don't because it's also creating a bit of a lucrative arbitrage situation.

Denver's more dense than Chicago and Washington D.C. (see http://cltblog.com/files/2014/01/cox-charlotte-1.png ) Yes, it's an American city which by default will be less dense than global cities, but that doesn't mean as much in terms of vibrancy as income and the amount of artists.
Denver is not more dense than Chicago and DC..... Absurd. The list you posted included DC and its suburbs not the city itself.... Read.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 AM

465 posts, read 658,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Denver is not more dense than Chicago and DC..... Absurd. The list you posted included DC and its suburbs not the city itself.... Read.
I've been talking about urban areas, meaning cities and suburbs. City limits mean little to me.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
I've been talking about urban areas, meaning cities and suburbs. City limits mean little to me.
The list you showed is only counting denver and not its suburbs. The list is showing DC suburbs and Chicago suburbs. So therefore your statement is WRONG. Denver is not more dense than DC or Chicago.... Can you read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City