Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Htown: Let me ask you an honest question. If you are so upset that I brought up Orlando in reference to a discussion about Houston's tourism numbers, then why are you still talking about it? I've been willing to drop Orlando from the discussion since the moment I said I don't consider it one of Houston's peers. I didn't use those other cities because I wasn't trying to make a numerical comparison between Houston and any city. The comparison was simply to illustrate that Houston has some added help to push up it's numbers, it's up to you locals to say why like Danny did. He explained how tight the relationship is between Houston and Galveston. Would you like me to go back and use Miami and Atlanta, they both outrank Houston? Do me a favor if the history is clear for you, please quote me as comparing Houston to Orlando or suggesting a peer relationship between the 2? The only place they are even considered peers is on the list of top 10 destinations in the US, but then again, I wouldn't exactly say that's a fair comparison.
It's a lost cause trying to dialogue with Htown. Unless you're kissing Houston's feet, you think it's a hellhole not even worth the land its built upon. That's his perspective. You'd be wise to just simply avoid him from now on, as I have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:33 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's a lost cause trying to dialogue with Htown. Unless you're kissing Houston's feet, you think it's a hellhole not even worth the land its built upon. That's his perspective. You'd be wise to just simply avoid him from now on, as I have done.
Thanks, I know this is a discussion I should have walked away from a long time ago but something about being insulted about my opinion ticks me off enough to play some defense. Of course I'm sure it didn't help that I stated that I actually far prefer Houston's peer of Atlanta, which looks like where you are from? I've seen you talk about Charlotte a lot though, did you ever live there or do I have you mixed up? I do far prefer Houston to Dallas, which is Houston's closest peer.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
you just wanna spread lies and you expect no one to call you out on it

Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I know this is a discussion I should have walked away from a long time ago but something about being insulted about my opinion ticks me off enough to play some defense. Of course I'm sure it didn't help that I stated that I actually far prefer Houston's peer of Atlanta, which looks like where you are from? I've seen you talk about Charlotte a lot though, did you ever live there or do I have you mixed up? I do far prefer Houston to Dallas, which is Houston's closest peer.
Yeah, I used to live in Charlotte. Moved to the ATL area a few weeks ago. For some people, where you live is enough to make you a target, LOL.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:35 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I don't know where prestige came into this. I never said the others were in the first place though. I just listed them because we were talking about college nightlife in which case I listed schools in the Houston area to establish it has schools, and I forgot to list how many attend those schools. U.H has like 25,000 students, and I was trying to correlate that to college nightlife which was the topic you had brought up.
Right, I think I explained why prestigious matters in the initial post. Schools that cast wider nets because they are well known tend to have smaller commuter populations. You're less likely to have "student ghettos" oriented towards kids with disposable time and income in large groups who are on the look-out for kicks.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Also, why is DC in this thread? It's a pretty singular entity.

Anyhow, Houston's my choice despite its problems. Museums and friends there pretty much clinch it. Money, too, because I love me some money.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Yeah, I used to live in Charlotte. Moved to the ATL area a few weeks ago. For some people, where you live is enough to make you a target, LOL.
Charlotte is totally underrated as a city. It's not my end all be all city but it sure doesn't deserve the flack it gets on here. Well since Atlanta is more relevant to this thread, how do you like it? What is your take on Atl vs Hou?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:12 PM

301 posts, read 639,919 times
Houston is best city to its peers, it has a little something called good economics, nice standard of life, and I am just not fan of demographics of ATL, am not racist but it is overrated and I just do not like ATL compared to Hou/Dal/Mia. and Dallas is close to Houston, Miami is good for vacation and winter home but it is not place where I would live all year. I have been to Hou 2 times where my business partner lives near westheimer and entertainment in Houston is not NY but it is good.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, why is DC in this thread? It's a pretty singular entity.

Anyhow, Houston's my choice despite its problems. Museums and friends there pretty much clinch it. Money, too, because I love me some money.
yeah I think DC is too different to be compared to any other city. It is a totally different beast

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Charlotte is totally underrated as a city. It's not my end all be all city but it sure doesn't deserve the flack it gets on here. Well since Atlanta is more relevant to this thread, how do you like it? What is your take on Atl vs Hou?
I actually miss Charlotte. Definitely undeserving of a lot of the flack it gets here. Not all, but a lot of it. As far as my new location, I live in one of the northern 'burbs and have a reverse commute into the mountains so my interaction with the city itself is rather limited. As far as Houston and Atlanta, they both compare quite favorably with each other. Obviously each has its own strengths, but they make for a good comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City