Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,549,039 times

Advertisements

All the previous posters who say Minneapolis winters are milder than Denver's have no idea what they are talking about!

Yes snow is possible in Denver in June and September but this rarely rarely RARELY happens, and if it does it happens for 10 minutes and never leaves any sign. Besides why is this the basis that Minneaspolis residents go by to determine winter climates? They've obviously never been to Denver!

The average Temp in Denver in the winter is 50 degrees, and several winter days can reach 60!

The average temp in Minneapolis in the winter is between 20 and 40 and the sun only comes out briefly.

Yes Denver gets a little more snow than Minneapolis, but it melts within 48 hours every time it happens.

The snow in Minneapolis falls in October and stays there until March or April. So Minneapolis is covered in snow much more than Denver is in the Winter! Plus the snow in the midwest is ICE not snow.

I'll never understand how people can be so smug and ignorant to think that just because Denver can recvieve snow in June and September that it is a blizzard all month long. Really?????

No one from Denver has taken a cheap shot or made a bogus comment about Minneapolis for no reason. Minneapolis residents have done this many times, and yet they blame Denver residents for being naive and rude. HMMMMM?

If you can prove me wrong I welcome any responses!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
Yeah, but how many blizzards did you guys have in the last month alone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
FYI, Minneapolis only averages about 10% less sunshine on average than Denver. Oooh ahhh, thats so awful now isnt it? They get less snow, more lush vegetation, just as many amenities, nicer suburbs overall, and downtown MPLS has been well planned out with many tunnels and skyways to navigate around in. What do you get in Denver in winter? 2 feet of snow, howling winds, and no protection on the streets in downtown. MPLS schools and cities consistently rank above Denver's, and far more corporations are based in MPLS than Denver.

I wont mention the June and September snowfalls that Denver can experience either. So if you want to talk about a long winter season, Denvers easily beats MPLS' in terms of length. Denver has more sunshine in winter, but is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Whatever, it just snowed in Denver. I just met somebody from Denver and he said he's seen winter in every month besides July and August.

Which 7 months are winter in Minnesota, ComfortablyNumb? Just Curious, because we had 70 degree weather in September and October and 60s in April... So... IDK, November to March is like 4 months. So you're wrong. How does it feel to be wrong?
First of all I must say how clueless you are about Denver's climate! Your arrogance that you express these insane statements with make you sound even more pathetic!

November to March is 5 months, and it can snow in October and April in the midwest as well, although it's also rare. The 7 month comment that you people get so angry about is just refering to the periods of mostly grey and cooler temps in the midwest. And anyone who thinks Minneapolis only gets 10% less sun than Denver is obviously just going crazy from the lack of sun there. Come to Denver for a year and then tell me what you think! I've lived in both areas so I know!

For the 1,000,000,000,000 time the statement about it snowing in Denver in June and September only means that it is possible! It rarely rarely happens, never leaves a trace, and is accompanied by 50 to 60 degree weather immediately before and afterward. All this means is that June and September can have frozen precipitation. Do you people really not understand this? Do some damn research if you are capable of it!

The comments about there being a blizzard in may, or that it frequently snows in May by EastSideMike and Steve-o are the most insane comments I have ever heard! I have only seen flurries in May once in 9 years, and only two blizzards have hit Denver in the same period of time both occuring in winter months. How is having a small flurry in May a blizzard? HMMMMM?

Wow you know nothing about Denver weather, the guy you met only meant that it has "snowed" in Denver in June and September. Snow in June and September is VERY VERY rare and when it happens it happens for 5-10 minutes and leaves no trace. WOW you midwesterners are clueless, and bark about topics you have no knowledge of. I saw snow in NOVI, MI in April once, and it actually accumulated!

The temps in Denver in September and October are usually in the high 60's to low 80's, you don't know this? How does it feel to be wrong? Today Sept. 21 was 85 degrees!

Even March and November can bring 60 to 70 degree weather. I never had this happen in the midwest when I lived there.

I have lived in Michigan before and the weather was gray and cold from October to April. Yes there are the occassional nice days but they are very rare. The snow in the midwest is on the ground for 5 months, so the fact that it snows in Denver slightly more is irrelevant because it melts in a day or so!

How is having snow on the ground for 5 months, with gray skies and 35-45 degree temps milder than a climate of 40 to 60 degree temps with sunny days, with occasional snow that melts when it falls quickly and only the occasional day of freezing temps and blizzards? Yeah that's what I thought.

As my previous post explains, all this BULL S**T about Denver winters being worse that Minneapolis is Hillarious. Minneapolis residents should do a little more reaserch about Denver's climate than just skimming wikipedia or interpreting one person's opinion about it before they make themselves look foolish. You've apparently never been to Denver for a long period of time so why do you think you have the right to compare it to Minneapolis?

So how does it feel to be wrong and ignorant?

Last edited by JMM64; 09-21-2012 at 11:54 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,345,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
All the previous posters who say Minneapolis winters are milder than Denver's have no idea what they are talking about!

Yes snow is possible in Denver in June and September but this rarely rarely RARELY happens, and if it does it happens for 10 minutes and never leaves any sign. Besides why is this the basis that Minneaspolis residents go by to determine winter climates? They've obviously never been to Denver!

The average Temp in Denver in the winter is 50 degrees, and several winter days can reach 60!

The average temp in Minneapolis in the winter is between 20 and 40 and the sun only comes out briefly.

Yes Denver gets a little more snow than Minneapolis, but it melts within 48 hours every time it happens.

The snow in Minneapolis falls in October and stays there until March or April. So Minneapolis is covered in snow much more than Denver is in the Winter! Plus the snow in the midwest is ICE not snow.

I'll never understand how people can be so smug and ignorant to think that just because Denver can recvieve snow in June and September that it is a blizzard all month long. Really?????

No one from Denver has taken a cheap shot or made a bogus comment about Minneapolis for no reason. Minneapolis residents have done this many times, and yet they blame Denver residents for being naive and rude. HMMMMM?

If you can prove me wrong I welcome any responses!!!!!!
I'd never claim Minneapolis has a milder winter than Denver, but I think the bolded comments above are incorrect.
While not as sunny as Denver, Minneapolis tends to be quite sunny compared to most other cities.
Also, snow rarely falls in October. We did have our famous Halloween Blizzard back in 1991, but that's unusual. I lived in Minneapolis from 1992 - 2012, and snow was pretty rare in November. Typically, snow would begin sticking on the ground in mid-December.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I'd never claim Minneapolis has a milder winter than Denver, but I think the bolded comments above are incorrect.
While not as sunny as Denver, Minneapolis tends to be quite sunny compared to most other cities.
Also, snow rarely falls in October. We did have our famous Halloween Blizzard back in 1991, but that's unusual. I lived in Minneapolis from 1992 - 2012, and snow was pretty rare in November. Typically, snow would begin sticking on the ground in mid-December.

I agree it's rare for snow to fall in October in Minneapolis, yet when it does it sticks around far longer than it does in Denver. That's all I meant, and I'm just trying to help all the clueless MN residents on this thread understand this. It's been 60 degrees and 90% sunny in Denver all November with 0 snowfall, yet Minneapolis has been mostly 45 degrees and cloudy. Just thought I'd mention.

On a sidenote (not directed at you) snowfall in both cities is actually about the same, 50 inches yearly. Yet in Denver it happens a little more spread out and melts quickly with 55 to 70 degree days in between. In the midwest it all happens mostly in November through March and stays on the ground all season in 25 to 40 degree weather. I've lived in the midwest and CO for years at a time, you MN residents have just been to Denver for a week of your entire lives, or not at all! I know what I'm talking about. I'll never understand why MN residents get so mad about this and bash Denver there's a million topics on this site with MN residents complaining about this for no reason. What did Denver do to you? At least CO can admit it has a real winter! Get a life people!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,866,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesahlrich View Post
i have lived in minneapolis my whole life, it sucks, winters from hell, cant go outside for 4 months, lakes are frozen over. MN is colder than Alaska..hell is colder than mars...literally..(mars has seasons) spring lasts for a month and construction season begins.....they shut down every freeway for repair from the winter and detour you to iowa....potholes the size of the grand canyon..then summers begins and it feels like texas...90 and humid...meteorologist call it soupy...i call it hell. The sun sets at 9:30 pm.....but now its still 90 degrees because of the humidity......nice time to have a fire.....no...mosquitos come out in full force....thirsty for your blood...sucking every inch of your unprotected skin thats not covered by repellent. Yes..they can get through clothing too. Fall is beautiful..but lasts for a month. Dont forget your somali friends..40% of all somalis that live in the us......live in MN..whole lot of gays too...so if your not a gay somali....i wouldnt suggest living here.
I would recommend moving to a sterile, temperature-controlled quarantine.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I would recommend moving to a sterile, temperature-controlled quarantine.
agree, i did just that and its so much more better down here.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
Which city do you think is better? I currently live in Minneapolis and have only visited Denver once. From reading different threads it seems that both of these cities are looked upon pretty favorably. They seem very similar in size, look, and things to do. I think Minneapolis is a very nice city(minus the weather) and Denver looks very nice as well so I'm interested to see what you guys think if you had to compare the two.
Uhhh. Denver... at least you'll have the Rocky's right in your back yard.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,890,504 times
Quote:
i have lived in minneapolis my whole life, it sucks, winters from hell, cant go outside for 4 months, lakes are frozen over. MN is colder than Alaska..hell is colder than mars...literally..(mars has seasons) spring lasts for a month and construction season begins.....they shut down every freeway for repair from the winter and detour you to iowa....potholes the size of the grand canyon..then summers begins and it feels like texas...90 and humid...meteorologist call it soupy...i call it hell. The sun sets at 9:30 pm.....but now its still 90 degrees because of the humidity......nice time to have a fire.....no...mosquitos come out in full force....thirsty for your blood...sucking every inch of your unprotected skin thats not covered by repellent. Yes..they can get through clothing too. Fall is beautiful..but lasts for a month. Dont forget your somali friends..40% of all somalis that live in the us......live in MN..whole lot of gays too...so if your not a gay somali....i wouldnt suggest living here.
This is the most hilarious post I've read in a while!

Funny thing is, it's probably very actuate, too! Poor Minnie.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
This is the most hilarious post I've read in a while!

Funny thing is, it's probably very actuate, too! Poor Minnie.
actually....mosquitoes have gotten better (there are less of them) now... yea weather sucks doe.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Quote:
Well, damn.

Both cities have their negatives and positives. I'm sure Minneapolis has many positives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City