Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesahlrich View Post
i have lived in minneapolis my whole life, it sucks, winters from hell, cant go outside for 4 months, lakes are frozen over. MN is colder than Alaska..hell is colder than mars...literally..(mars has seasons) spring lasts for a month and construction season begins.....they shut down every freeway for repair from the winter and detour you to iowa....potholes the size of the grand canyon..then summers begins and it feels like texas...90 and humid...meteorologist call it soupy...i call it hell. The sun sets at 9:30 pm.....but now its still 90 degrees because of the humidity......nice time to have a fire.....no...mosquitos come out in full force....thirsty for your blood...sucking every inch of your unprotected skin thats not covered by repellent. Yes..they can get through clothing too. Fall is beautiful..but lasts for a month. Dont forget your somali friends..40% of all somalis that live in the us......live in MN..whole lot of gays too...so if your not a gay somali....i wouldnt suggest living here.
1) You can definitely go outside in the winter, if you are smart and wear layers. You can even exercise (nordic skiing, alpine skiing, ice skating, running, etc.) if you have the initiative. Nobody is keeping you from going outside, that is your own problem.

2) Minnesota is not colder than Alaska (the northern part), and it gets much colder on Mars than here.

3) They don't close down entire freeways, they close a lane or two at a time, and they do them separately and spaced out in different years. Nowhere near as bad as you said. The potholes are not nearly as existent as people claim, they are simply occasional, like any other city in the world that has a winter.

4) Not many days get above 90 in the summer, most days are in the 75 to 85 degree range. and the heat most definitely does not last after the sun sets, it gets cool almost immediately.

5) The mosquitoes are not as bad as you say, unless you are right next to still water where they lay their eggs. You may get a mosquito trying to bite you every 5 to 10 minutes or so, but if you wear clothes and swat them away you are usually fine. I rarely ever wear repellant and I only get about 10 mosquito bites every summer, and I spent a lot of time outside. Also, if you don't itch them, they go away within a day or two.

6) Fall is beautiful, and lasts for more than a month. It lasts about from September to November.

7) Are Somali people automatically a bad thing? Not only is that downright racist, but it is completely disregarding why they are here. A lot of them are refugees who have actually faces real problems in their lives and are here to escape that. And you treat them like a nuisance. Plus, diversity is a good thing, we have more variety in music, ideas, religion, and food because they are here.

8) And you go on to treat gays like a nuisance too. They are people too, their sexuality is only one aspect of them. I don't really care if you don't like them, or Somalis, as it doesn't really affect anyone here. But, you act as if the fact that you don't like them is a reason not to live in the city. Not all people discriminate, they might actually like other people.

I find extremely cold temperature (like the -30 low that we are supposed to get Sunday night) to be exciting. It makes the city more unique, and also makes the people here more hardy towards extreme conditions. People in "perfect" climates are a lot less prepared for issues like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:37 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
I grew up in MN till I was 18. I moved back and staid in MN for another 5.5 yrs in my early 20's. I have lived in colorado springs, CO and have been to Denver (my brother from MN lives in Aurora) and play softball in the Denver area A lot for the past 3 years.

Here is the reality of the situation from my eyes.

Looks.

Minneapolis is a better looking city. It has the mississippi river running through it, nice green trees, etc. I love Minneapolis in the Summer.

Winter comes around and Denver smokes Minneapolis. Minnesota is cold as hell. I HATE the weather in the winter and why I moved. Denver wins hands down in terms of winter living. It's not even winter in Denver.

Snow, come on Minnesota, you get a lot more storms that bring more snow per year in MN than in Colorado front range area. The mountains get a lot of snow, but Denver isn't in the mountains.

Drivers - Colorado has some of the worst drivers. Not sure how or why, but they flip cars on sunny 80F days like Minnesota people flip cars on ice slick pavement in the winter.

People - Minnesota is closed/reserved peeps. It's damn hard to meet people in MN and the girls are so into themselves and their high school/college clicks. My brothers wife is MN, all about her HS friends. The guys in MN are much more open than the girls IMO.

Denver/Colorado people are awesome. We are a mix of people from all sorts of states CA, TX, MN, Southeast, etc. It's SOOOO much easier to meet people here. guys or girls, take your pick its not too tough.

Denver/COS - Much more military presence. MUCH different than Minneapolis.

Taxes, COL - Denver all day baby. Minneapolis rapes you on property taxes and income taxes compared to CO. Sales taxes are comparable depending on where you live. Colorado home prices are much cheaper than MN.

If I had to pick between the two, I would choose Colorado Springs I am not sure where I would live between the two cities. Probably MN since I ma married. If I was single, Denver for sure. but then again, I grew up in MN and know a ton of people there. Denver is a boring looking city....and I hate how they built homes in the area. Minneapolis has character and you can tell a difference between certain areas of the city, Denver is a damn sea of homes and ugly IMO.

Tough call.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
1) You can definitely go outside in the winter, if you are smart and wear layers. You can even exercise (nordic skiing, alpine skiing, ice skating, running, etc.) if you have the initiative. Nobody is keeping you from going outside, that is your own problem.
I can go outside just by wearing normal clothes
Don't have to warm up the car
No risk slipping on ice when walking or driving
No dirty snow on my shoes

You know life in MN gets uncomfortable during the winter, just admit it.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:45 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

I grew up in MN, Winter is Annoying as hell. It sucks trying to go out to a club, it sucks driving in snow and rusting out your car all winter long. It sucks waking up and having it be 5 degrees for a couple of months.

It sucks having the overcast days for weeks in a row. It sucks shoveling. Thank god I played hockey all winter long.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
i didnt know this was a debate...why do you care what i think..this is just my opinion...not the exact truth..your gonna try to correct every statement you dont agree with on the internet...christ...get a girl friend...or go work on your abs or something.
Well, how this website works is that people comment, and other people comment back, either disagreeing with, agreeing with it, commenting on it, or adding to it. That's kind of the reason why there is a "comment" button. I had time to respond to it, and I did, since it was an overdone and exaggerated post that made the city unrightfully look bad. Trust me, I see plenty of things I don't agree with on the internet, and ignore essentially all of them. You shouldn't be surprised though, that you received a response in an internet forum. No point in making fun of me for posting in a forum that I'm a member of...

I was going to ignore the last comment since it's pretty immature (considering to you all I am is words on a screen), but if you must know, I do work on them almost every day including today. Outside. In the winter. Nordic skiing. Up hills. It's an interesting concept.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Well it does differ by opinion, and I really do enjoy the cold winter. I like wearing cold weather clothes, I don't really mind the cold, and I can usually walk across ice without slipping providing I keep my feet flat. It really isn't that uncomfortable.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I grew up in MN, Winter is Annoying as hell. It sucks trying to go out to a club, it sucks driving in snow and rusting out your car all winter long. It sucks waking up and having it be 5 degrees for a couple of months.

It sucks having the overcast days for weeks in a row. It sucks shoveling. Thank god I played hockey all winter long.
I do agree with the part about overcast days, I wish there were more clear days. Shoveling, though, it builds strength. It forces people to do exercise, I only think of it as a benefit.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
Quote:
Not really. No more uncomfortable than Texas gets in the summer. I'm very VERY sick of this conversation happening in literally every thread Minneapolis is part of. It's ONE aspect of the city that is truly inconsequential to 99% of your everyday life.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
i have lived in minneapolis my whole life, it sucks, winters from hell, cant go outside for 4 months, lakes are frozen over. MN is colder than Alaska..hell is colder than mars...literally..(mars has seasons) spring lasts for a month and construction season begins.....they shut down every freeway for repair from the winter and detour you to iowa....potholes the size of the grand canyon..then summers begins and it feels like texas...90 and humid...meteorologist call it soupy...i call it hell. The sun sets at 9:30 pm.....but now its still 90 degrees because of the humidity......nice time to have a fire.....no...mosquitos come out in full force....thirsty for your blood...sucking every inch of your unprotected skin thats not covered by repellent. Yes..they can get through clothing too. Fall is beautiful..but lasts for a month. Dont forget your somali friends..40% of all somalis that live in the us......live in MN..whole lot of gays too...so if your not a gay somali....i wouldnt suggest living here.
An ellipses does not replace normal punctuation. Your trolling is beyond obvious.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
agree, i did just that and its so much more better down here.
Wait 'till summer dunce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City