Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Speaking of, has anybody seen that relatively new National Geo Documentary?

The Human Family Tree | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/the-human-family-tree-3706/Overview - broken link)

They get mouth swabs from all these people in Queens then trace their DNA back.

Also some good shots of Queens in the video.

Not a surprise that LA/SF are extreme diverse, California as a whole is just diverse in general, pretty much wherever you go.

I was thinking NJ would be higher up.

Not a single suburb from Chicago? Ouch. Chicago has some nice burbs but they are pretty lily white for the most part outside of the inner ring.
So much so that most of us (at least in real life anyways) don't even really care that much how diverse a place is. After living around so many different ethnicities and racial groups, at the end of the day you learn that people are just people no matter who they are.

Although, the food options are freakin' amazin However, its hard to find good American fare (meaning other regional American food) ANYWHERE around LA and SF (not that it doesn't exist, just that well, sometimes you want a good steak that ISN'T from Applebees or Sizzler!)

Case in point, in my area, there are (at least, according to Yelp):
6 Japanese restaurants
6 Korean restaurants
5 Indian restaurants
4 Mediterranean restaurants
13 Chinese restaurants
14 Mexican restaurants (with probably just as many taco trucks around)
2 (yes TWO!) Traditional American restaurants, with the same amount of California fusion restaurants about

Which brings me to my next point: where have all the (pre-1965) Americans gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
as Danny stated, Oakland is most definitely NOT a suburb.

Here is a superb post by Lifeshadower that I often reference because its so well done:

So using his formula, I made a map of the East Bay:

Im pretty sure the East Bay could make a case for being the most racially diverse area in the country.
At least someone is using the formula I posted! I would do LA area cities, but it would probably take me more than a day to do so since there are so many municipalities here.

I'm just wondering what the comparison would be between the East Bay, South Bay, SF, and Peninsula cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Chicago Heights, IL is a Chicago suburb with a population of around 30,500. It's a diverse town but doesn't have very many Asians.

I think Bolingbrook, IL might fit the OP requirements. Other very diverse Chicago suburbs are Skokie and Glendale Heights, but I think both still have a slight white non Hispanic majority(51-55%). Asians are more than 20% in both suburbs, but blacks are less than 10% of the community.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

At least someone is using the formula I posted! I would do LA area cities, but it would probably take me more than a day to do so since there are so many municipalities here.
True. I think the part of LA they call 'The South Bay' is just as hyper diverse as the East Bay, if not more so.

Quote:
I'm just wondering what the comparison would be between the East Bay, South Bay, SF, and Peninsula cities.
Well I could do the cities(think this rain is making me lazy..LOL) but I think the County numbers sort of give us an idea of how they compare.

SF Bay Area Counties
Alameda .741
Solano .717
Santa Clara .695
San Mateo .680
San Francisco .671
Contra Costa .662
San Benito .552
Napa .549
Santa Cruz .504
Sonoma .474
Marin .244

To be honest, Solano is the most impressive to me because its so far removed from the Urban core of the Bay Are and such a place would not generally be thought of as diverse because it looks like a rural/suburban place one would normally associate with middle class white families.

But you get off the 80 freeway and drive around the cities and towns and the diversity is quite striking.

And I have to agree that most Californians don't even give diversity a second thought, its just normal.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
So much so that most of us (at least in real life anyways) don't even really care that much how diverse a place is. After living around so many different ethnicities and racial groups, at the end of the day you learn that people are just people no matter who they are.

Although, the food options are freakin' amazin However, its hard to find good American fare (meaning other regional American food) ANYWHERE around LA and SF (not that it doesn't exist, just that well, sometimes you want a good steak that ISN'T from Applebees or Sizzler!)

Yes but Bay Area has its own American Fare... what about tri tip BBQ??? Smoked salmon... etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:00 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True. I think the part of LA they call 'The South Bay' is just as hyper diverse as the East Bay, if not more so.
Could be. If so, its not really that noticeable. After a certain point, a place just can't be any more "diverse", at least on a racial level. After living in the Bay Area for 3 years, I didn't notice that much of a change in terms of that kind of diversity from here and there.

NYC is different in that the city itself is hyper diverse (unlike LA and SF where they are probably NOT the most diverse cities in their own metro). I miss the fact that you can walk a few blocks and come across different sorts of people. In LA and the Bay Area, the diversity is more within the suburban regions of the metro than the urban core regions. It makes for extremely INTERESTING neighborhood BBQs (if they still exist, because they sure don't here).

However, my old HS there (Brooklyn Tech) pretty much looked like my elementary school here in LA...mostly Asian with some Whites/Hispanics/Blacks thrown in. My sister's school (Stuyvesant) was even MORE Asian. It felt like I never left LA.

Quote:
To be honest, Solano is the most impressive to me because its so far removed from the Urban core of the Bay Are and such a place would not generally be thought of as diverse because it looks like a rural/suburban place one would normally associate with middle class white families.

But you get off the 80 freeway and drive around the cities and towns and the diversity is quite striking.
Yup. I have many a relative in Vallejo and Fairfield. Man...talking about Fairfield, I COULD go for some Baldo's Carne Asada fries right now....they don't have any Carne Asada fries in LA!

Quote:
And I have to agree that most Californians don't even give diversity a second thought, its just normal.
Yup. Although, I would say across America (at least in the metro regions), that is becoming more and more of the norm. At least with my generation.

But I have to say that an increasing amount of Californians (55+) feel that they need to go "back to America" I don't know why I don't see this kind of talk more in real life, but at least on this site, there's a HUGE complaint on what California is turning into.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...false&-format=

California 2009
Non-Hispanic White: 15,325,751
Hispanic: 13,681,370
Black (alone and in combination): 2,596,923 (2,159,178 alone)
Asian (alone and in combination): 5,137,990 (4,559,739 alone)

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ng=en&-_sse=on

California 2000
Non-Hispanic White: 15,816,790
Hispanic: 10,996,556
Black (alone and in combination): 2,513,041 (2,263,882 alone)
Asian (alone and in combination): 4,155,685 (3,697,583 alone)

Non-Hispanic White Decrease: -431,039
Black alone decrease: -104,704 (but the combination increased by 83,882)

Hispanics increased by 2,684,814
Asians increased by 982,305 (which is the TOTAL Asian population of TX right now)

Quote:
Yes but Bay Area has its own American Fare... what about tri tip BBQ??? Smoked salmon... etc.
Compared to the amount of Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Filipino, Korean, Salvadorian, Vietnamese, etc etc. restaurants and food trucks in the Bay Area, there aren't NEARLY as many places serving American-fare as one would expect.

Maybe Berkeley is the worst example to give, but there were as many Ethiopian restaurants as there were places serving burgers (there were only two near campus; Smart Alec's and Bongo Burger). While there was Chinese takeout next to Chinese takeout, next to sushi bar, next to pizza place, next to Indian takeout, next to Korean BBQ, etc etc.

My friends and I were SEARCHING for a good American food place, at least somewhere within a walking distance of campus. None could be found! There was one BBQ place, but it was too pricey.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:30 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:

Case in point, in my area, there are (at least, according to Yelp):
6 Japanese restaurants
6 Korean restaurants
5 Indian restaurants
4 Mediterranean restaurants
13 Chinese restaurants
14 Mexican restaurants (with probably just as many taco trucks around)
2 (yes TWO!) Traditional American restaurants, with the same amount of California fusion restaurants about

Which brings me to my next point: where have all the (pre-1965) Americans gone?

I don't think american restaurants are always that hard to find, though at times definitely. Also i like comparing stuff, so here are some restaurants in my area of SF, off the top of my head:

8 mexican
1 peruvian
12 american
8 japanese
4 chinese
1 korean
7 italian
2 indian
1 french
4 thai
10 delis (from restaurants to corner store/supermarket delis)
2 mediterranean

Not hard to find american food here...but if you go one neighborhood over (the Mission), you'll be finding way less of it.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I don't think american restaurants are always that hard to find, though at times definitely. Also i like comparing stuff, so here are some restaurants in my area of SF, off the top of my head:

8 mexican
1 peruvian
12 american
8 japanese
4 chinese
1 korean
7 italian
2 indian
1 french
4 thai
10 delis (from restaurants to corner store/supermarket delis)
2 mediterranean

Not hard to find american food here...but if you go one neighborhood over (the Mission), you'll be finding way less of it.
This is all making me very hungry.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Speaking of, has anybody seen that relatively new National Geo Documentary?

The Human Family Tree | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/the-human-family-tree-3706/Overview - broken link)

They get mouth swabs from all these people in Queens then trace their DNA back.

Also some good shots of Queens in the video.

Not a surprise that LA/SF are extreme diverse, California as a whole is just diverse in general, pretty much wherever you go.

I was thinking NJ would be higher up.

Not a single suburb from Chicago? Ouch. Chicago has some nice burbs but they are pretty lily white for the most part outside of the inner ring.
I live in south suburban Cook County and its far from lily white. This part of Chicago suburbia is more Prince George county in demographics with a black majority and a growing Mexican population.

Chicagoland for the most part is white/hispanic/black. Asians only make up 5% of the metropolitian as a whole. However, Dupage County(pop 932,000) is 10% Asian. Northwest Cook County also has a sizeable Asian population. But the only suburb that meets the OP criteria is Bolingbrook, IL and its a bit far out from Chicago.

Bolingbrook, IL pop. 68,000 (2009 ACS)
White- 37.6%
Hispanic- 32.3%
Black- 16.9%
Asian- 10.4%(5% Filipino)
Foreign born- 30.3%

Other suburbs that didn't quite meet the standards

Glendale Heights, IL pop. 33,606
White- 44.2%
Hispanic- 28.5%
Asian- 22.5%( 7.7% Indian, 7.2% Filipino, 4.2% Vietnamese)
Black- 3.2%
Foreign born- 35.3%

Skokie, IL pop. 66,457
White- 58.7%(includes a large Jewish community and some Arabs)
Asian- 24.3%
Blacks- 8.6% (3.5% reported Caribbean ancestry)
Hispanic- 6%
Foreign born- 40.7%

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-24-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times
Quote:
7,526 posts, read 2,022,967 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
Oakland, CA (San Francisco Bay Area- pop. 362,342)
Race/Ethnicity:
31.9% black, 16.7% asian, 25.2% hispanic, and 25.4% white alone
Foreign-Born population:
28.3% were foreign born (breakdown: 5.2% in Europe, 39.2% in Asia, 4.5% in Africa, 0.6% in Oceania, 49.6% in Latin America, and 0.9% in Northern America)

Jersey City, NJ (New York Metro area- pop. 227,797)
Race/Ethnicity:
28.7% black, 20.7 asian, 27.3% hispanic, and 24.0% white alone
Foreign-Born population:
37.0% were foreign born (7.7% in Europe, 43.9% in Asia, 9.0% in Africa, 0.1% in Oceania, 39.0% in Latin America, and 0.3% in Northern America)

These two are NOT suburbs. Oakland is its own principle city to the Bay Area CSA alongside San Francisco & San Jose.
From my original post: "Here's a list of what I believe to be the most diverse racially/ethnically suburbs and satellite cities in the country. My basis for determining a city's diversity is the asian/black/hispanic/white make-up of the city along with the presence of individuals born abroad and the make-up of the foreign-born population. The asian and black percentages displayed include those who may be mixed with another race; hispanics may be of any race; however, the whites percentages correspond to those who are white only. This setup inherently strengthens the "diversity score" for a suburb in which many individuals are of mixed-race background. Please note that ALL data has been taken from U.S. Census' Bureau's American Community Survey: 2006-2008 Estimates."

While Oakland, Richmond, and possibly Hayward aren't suburbs, they're definitely Satellite cities. However, an argument can be made for Hayward being a suburb of Oakland.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think Bolingbrook, IL might fit the OP requirements. Other very diverse Chicago suburbs are Skokie and Glendale Heights, but I think both still have a slight white non Hispanic majority(51-55%). Asians are more than 20% in both suburbs, but blacks are less than 10% of the community.

There's also waukeegan, aurora, Joliet, even naperville has ann indian community but its mostly White. There's Elgin too but its mostly White and Latino but i hear they have a Laotian community there.

The SW burbs are the most diverse imo

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City