Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times

Advertisements

As of 2017, I don't know how it's not Birmingham lol; Birmingham in 2010 is completely different to Birmingham in 2017, a lot has changed in seven years. And that's for Educated Blacks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
As of 2017, I don't know how it's not Birmingham lol; Birmingham in 2010 is completely different to Birmingham in 2017, a lot has changed in seven years. And that's for Educated Blacks...

Birmingham, Jefferson County end violent 2016 with spike in homicides | AL.com

Ouch. Alabama city named 1 of 50 worst places to live in the U.S. | AL.com

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.co...ndroid-verizon

Census projections show Philly-to-Pittsburgh migration | WPXI

Why Are Millennials Being Drawn To Pittsburgh? « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
FBI: Birmingham is 3rd most violent city in U.S. – The Trussville Tribune

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_campaign

[quote]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffer...kruptcy_filing

10 US Cities Attracting Millennials

The 9 Most Segregated Cities In America | The Huffington Post

Birmingham, Jefferson County end violent 2016 with spike in homicides | AL.com

Pittsburgh Black Business Directory

Pittsburgh is poised for growth for the first time in 60 years. Will the city

Pittsburgh's African American History | Culture & Tours

The Underground Railroad | Pittsburgh PA History

Old 01-09-2017, 11:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Both cities have positives and negatives and you could post links as examples for both cities ad nauseum, so that proves nothing either way. Just make an actual argument.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Quote:

With these 2 cities, I dont think it matters if it's 2010 or 2017. The same arguments can be made for both. (As far as this topic is concerned)

Pittsburgh is safer and has bigger city amenities.
Birmingham has a much higher % of African Americans, deeper rooted AA community, HBCU Culture, etc.

It is amazing what can change with time though. When this thread was made, I chose B'ham because of the aforementioned reasons. As of now, I'd go with Pittsburgh.

Being older now, the bigger city amenities matter more to me. While not having Birmingham's AA population, Pittsburgh still has a large enough AA population where I wouldnt feel isolated, with more amenities in a safer environment. It's not as big of a deal for me now that Birmingham performs better than Pitt at things like hosting HBCU Classic football games lol.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Both cities have positives and negatives and you could post links as examples for both cities ad nauseum, so that proves nothing either way. Just make an actual argument.
We are just playing, _OT gets me so it's cool.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
With these 2 cities, I dont think it matters if it's 2010 or 2017. The same arguments can be made for both. (As far as this topic is concerned)

Pittsburgh is safer and has bigger city amenities.
Birmingham has a much higher % of African Americans, deeper rooted AA community, HBCU Culture, etc.

It is amazing what can change with time though. When this thread was made, I chose B'ham because of the aforementioned reasons. As of now, I'd go with Pittsburgh.

Being older now, the bigger city amenities matter more to me. While not having Birmingham's AA population, Pittsburgh still has a large enough AA population where I wouldnt feel isolated, with more amenities in a safer environment. It's not as big of a deal for me now that Birmingham performs better than Pitt at things like hosting HBCU Classic football games lol.
It matters, a lot actually.

The US in 2017, is significantly different than the US in 2010, a lot changed within a six/seven year span; that applies to both cities as well. Americans think different, millennials think different. Yes Birmingham has a higher % of African Americans, deeper rooted AA communities, HBCU culture, etc. etc. But Birmingham also has a much more sense of diversity.

Personally I think Birmingham has much more room to grow than Pittsburgh, not to say that Pittsburgh isn't obviously the larger of the two, or won't be for a while. But bigger city amenities are a wash outside of Sports, that's very debatable.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
It matters, a lot actually.

The US in 2017, is significantly different than the US in 2010, a lot changed within a six/seven year span; that applies to both cities as well. Americans think different, millennials think different. Yes Birmingham has a higher % of African Americans, deeper rooted AA communities, HBCU culture, etc. etc. But Birmingham also has a much more sense of diversity.

Personally I think Birmingham has much more room to grow than Pittsburgh, not to say that Pittsburgh isn't obviously the larger of the two, or won't be for a while. But bigger city amenities are a wash outside of Sports, that's very debatable.

I haven't been to Birmingham, so I'm not trying to make a case either way, but will you explain how the amenities are a wash, outside of sports? Birmingham can't match Pittsburgh's public transit or airport. Would you say it has comparable cultural institutions, dining and nightlife?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I haven't been to Birmingham, so I'm not trying to make a case either way, but will you explain how the amenities are a wash, outside of sports? Birmingham can't match Pittsburgh's public transit or airport. Would you say it has comparable cultural institutions, dining and nightlife?
Birmingham probably comes very close to Pittsburgh on dining, and nightlife would probably be better for a 20-something Black male generally speaking. Pittsburgh would definitely have the advantage with cultural institutions and public transit. For any other amenities Birmingham lacks, Atlanta is only a two hour drive away with even more to offer 20 something Black males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City