Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 04:07 AM

381 posts, read 862,447 times

Advertisements

Big dig was estimated at $2.8 billion but ended up costing nearly $15 billion and taking forever

SR 99 Bored Tunnel in Seattle, up to 200 feet undergorund, is estimated at a total cost of $4.2 billion but has huge risks with potential of tunnel-boring machine getting stuck. This could be a huge debacle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSPmJw8JxY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Big dig was estimated at $2.8 billion but ended up costing nearly $15 billion and taking forever

SR 99 Bored Tunnel in Seattle, up to 200 feet undergorund, is estimated at a total cost of $4.2 billion but has huge risks with potential of tunnel-boring machine getting stuck. This could be a huge debacle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSPmJw8JxY
We won't know if the Seattle tunnel is a "debacle" until we know whether or not the boring machine will get stuck, or how much the final bill for the project is.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Debacle or not, the Alaskan Way Viaduct is a death trap. It was built in the early 1950's before proper seismic risk assessments had been done, and is built on a combination of infill and land near a vulnerable seawall. Making matters worse, it's a double-decker, which means that when it collapses, half the cars will get crushed underneath the other half, and all of that will fall on top of cars, pedestrians, and buildings underneath.

Not to mention that the seawall is expected to give way in the event of a major quake, thus tossing another nearby surface road into the bay along with buildings along the waterfront.

You might have several thousand killed along the AWV/seawall in their current conditions, as opposed to a few dozen dead if all that is replaced with a seismically-resistant tunnel and new seawall.

Along with a new levee system for the Sacramento basin, this is probably the most-pressing civil infrastructure need on the entire west coast of the US.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM

381 posts, read 862,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Debacle or not, the Alaskan Way Viaduct is a death trap. It was built in the early 1950's before proper seismic risk assessments had been done, and is built on a combination of infill and land near a vulnerable seawall. Making matters worse, it's a double-decker, which means that when it collapses, half the cars will get crushed underneath the other half, and all of that will fall on top of cars, pedestrians, and buildings underneath.

Not to mention that the seawall is expected to give way in the event of a major quake, thus tossing another nearby surface road into the bay along with buildings along the waterfront.

You might have several thousand killed along the AWV/seawall in their current conditions, as opposed to a few dozen dead if all that is replaced with a seismically-resistant tunnel and new seawall.

Along with a new levee system for the Sacramento basin, this is probably the most-pressing civil infrastructure need on the entire west coast of the US.
Yeah, but is the current solution really the best way to go?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
Yeah, but is the current solution really the best way to go?
This was investigated for almost 10 years, and this is the best solution all the experts came up with. So I guess the answer to your question is yes- I'm not sure there are any options anyone could come up with that haven't already been studied.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM

571 posts, read 1,173,956 times
The SR99 project is so very complex and risky, but I'm all for it. That along with the seawall replacement will give Seattle its waterfront back. That being said, I was not 100% against the alternative, which was tear down the viaduct, put in a surface street and hope that that, the rest of downtown, and I5 could absorb the overflow that used to rely on the viaduct to get through downtown. I do think that it may meet or exceed the complexity of the Big Dig.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I thought the Seattle tunnel might be cancelled with the election of the new mayor

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought the Seattle tunnel might be cancelled with the election of the new mayor
The mayor is against it, but the city council has overridden his veto with every roadblock he's put up against it.

In all seriousness, I do not think a surface road would have worked either. Would have overwhelmed traffic on I-5.

And what is lost on most people is that the city held a referendum on what option they wanted (surface street vs. tunnel) and they waffled. So the state came in and decided for them.

And to be blunt, the current elevated highway is an eyesore and a danger. If another Nisqually quake happened, this is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hos_uIKwC-c

Personally, I don't want this to happen. What do you want, keep the current one? Baloney.

And it's funny you think TBD was a blunder .... everyone I know in Boston raves about it now. Sure it was confusing when it first opened and there were issues after it opened, but now it's awesome.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The mayor is against it, but the city council has overridden his veto with every roadblock he's put up against it.

In all seriousness, I do not think a surface road would have worked either. Would have overwhelmed traffic on I-5.

And what is lost on most people is that the city held a referendum on what option they wanted (surface street vs. tunnel) and they waffled. So the state came in and decided for them.

And to be blunt, the current elevated highway is an eyesore and a danger. If another Nisqually quake happened, this is the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hos_uIKwC-c

Personally, I don't want this to happen. What do you want, keep the current one? Baloney.

And it's funny you think TBD was a blunder .... everyone I know in Boston raves about it now. Sure it was confusing when it first opened and there were issues after it opened, but now it's awesome.
I totally agree about the viaduct being an eyesore! You walk along the waterfront and see that big ugly monstrosity up there, with the roaring/thumping of traffic as it passes overhead- it really does take away from the experience down there.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
When did I say that? I might have a while ago...

I'm a bit mixed myself. It did good things but I'm not sure if it was worth the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City