Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Why shouldn't Philly be in this poll? Because its not stereotypical DC, ATL, NO, down-south blackness?

Philly has a much stronger west indian presence than the others on the list, and that equals more after-hours spots, and underground parties. Nobody parties quite like us. Except New York, which is on a whole nother level and IMO has by far the best nightlife(black or otherwise) of any US city.
you hear stories about new york's nightlife being glamorous, glitzy, and pretentious. but never in my life have i ever heard the phrase, "man, those new yorkers sure know how to party"....and what makes you so sure that we don't party better down south? do y'all even dance on the east coast? i know y'all's females can't bounce it as good as ours can. not even close lol

the only northern cities i'd give it to are chicago, dc, and baltimore. but i voted for atlanta

Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
The dumbest statement of the year. I'm not even going to honor this statement by looking up the numbers. Philly is probably only behind NYC and Miami/SoFlo in terms of west indian population.
Yeah, why bother doing that....it's not like there is a way to find out which is true...oh, wait, there is:

Metro Atlanta
West Indian (excluding Hispanic origin groups) 98,885
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Metro Philadelphia
West Indian (excluding Hispanic origin groups) 59,925
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...false&-format=

In other words, Brent6969 is correct. There are way more West Indians in Atlanta than Philadelphia...

Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
yeah, why bother doing that....it's not like there is a way to find out which is true...oh, wait, there is:

metro atlanta
west indian (excluding hispanic origin groups) 98,885
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

metro philadelphia
west indian (excluding hispanic origin groups) 59,925

in other words, brent6969 is correct. There are way more west indians in atlanta than philadelphia...
#oop

Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you hear stories about new york's nightlife being glamorous, glitzy, and pretentious. but never in my life have i ever heard the phrase, "man, those new yorkers sure know how to party"....and what makes you so sure that we don't party better down south? do y'all even dance on the east coast? i know y'all's females can't bounce it as good as ours can. not even close lol

the only northern cities i'd give it to are chicago, dc, and baltimore. but i voted for atlanta
You obviously know nothing about NYC.

"Bull$hit, and party, and bull$hit, and party, and bull$hit, and party"
-Christopher Wallace, aka Notorious BIG

Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
#oop
Thank you....

Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I don't know about the down south blackness. But I do know that Philly does not get it in like DC does. Maybe for Bars/Italians but not for blacks. There used to be a bus from Philly to DC every Friday that took people to Love/Dream.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, why bother doing that....it's not like there is a way to find out which is true...oh, wait, there is:

Metro Atlanta
West Indian (excluding Hispanic origin groups) 98,885
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2009

Metro Philadelphia
West Indian (excluding Hispanic origin groups) 59,925

In other words, Brent6969 is correct. There are way more West Indians in Atlanta than Philadelphia...
Nope. Cuz nightlife is a city thing

ATL
Atlanta city, Georgia - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder=

Philly
Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder=

Philly proper has nearly nine times as much as ATL city.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:42 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
The dumbest statement of the year. I'm not even going to honor this statement by looking up the numbers. Philly is probably only behind NYC and Miami/SoFlo in terms of west indian population.
I don't think it's a dumb statement at all. In fact, it's probably true. Without consulting the actual numbers, I'd venture to say that the top West Indian U.S. cities are:

1. NYC
2. Miami
3. Boston
4. DC
5. Atlanta
6. Philly

Atlanta's had so much migration from the Tri-State area that I pretty much have to give it to the A over Philly. Atlanta's carnival is getting bigger and bigger by the year. I doubt Atlanta will ever rival DC as a center of West Indian culture because Howard pulls so many West Indians to the DC area, but I think Atlanta will certainly overtake Philly if it hasn't already.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:42 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Those stats are 11 years old...........

Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Which is yet another reason why city proper population is irrelevant compared to metro population. Even before seeing the stats that the poster up their posted, I would have bet Phillies Black west Indian population is closer to Atlanta's and DC's than it is to New York or South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City