Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

I think this comparison thread will be interesting. I decided to make this thread comparing these three Western metropolitan areas since they all have around the same population (around 3 million for Denver, 4 million for Phoenix and Seattle) but offer something different for everyone. There have been many threads in the Phoenix, Seattle, and Denver forums comparing 'Phoenix vs Denver' 'Seattle vs Denver' 'Phoenix vs Seattle', but never all three at the same time on the 'City vs City' forum. I feel that they are perhaps, some of the most comparable cities outside of 'Atlanta vs Dallas vs Houston'

All three of these metro areas also take up around 60-65% of their respective state's population offer mountain backdrops, but in extremely different contexts (Phoenix in the middle of the desert, Seattle next to Puget Sound, and Denver on the outskirts of the Great Plains). All three of these metro areas also have extremely different climates (Denver with a semi-arid 4 season climate, Phoenix with a classic desert climate, and Seattle with the oceanic 9 months of cloud cover) which brings out different vegetation. All three of these areas are also growing at an extremely fast rate, with Phoenix growing at phenomenal speed (31% since 2000), Denver being in the middle (16% since 2000), and Seattle growing the slowest (11% since 2000). However, as cities, all three could be considered vastly different from one another, with Seattle being the densest of the bunch (7100 ppsm), with Denver being in the middle (at around 3900-4000 ppsm) and Phoenix being the least dense (2900-3000 ppsm). All three are greatly expanding their light rail systems to address the local traffic concerns in their region (Denver opened their light rail in 1994, Phoenix in 2008, Seattle in 2009).

I've lived in Phoenix and made extensive visits to Seattle, and love them both greatly. I haven't have the opportunity to visit Denver, but I hope to do so very soon.

My question to you is this: which of these metro areas would you live in the most? What do you think, overall, has the best quality of life? What scenery do you prefer? What climate do you prefer? What city has the best urban amenities?

I'm a pretty outdoorsy person, and I could see myself satisfied in any of these three fine metropolitan areas.

Phoenix, Arizona (2008)
City: 1,567,294
Metro: 4,160,999 (Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008)

Seattle, Washington (2008)
City: 571,293
Metro: 4,030,692 (Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008)

Denver, Colorado
(2008)
City: 584,563
Metro: 2,985,761 (Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO CSA - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008)

Pictures would greatly be appreciated!

Whoops, I meant to make this a poll. If the mods could edit this thread to a poll to it, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Seattle has 9 months of cloud cover? I think not.

In fairness, Seattle typically has 71 sunny, 93 partly cloudy and 201 Cloudy days. And a partly cloudy day in Seattle is usually very beautiful.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:59 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I would definately take Seattle's weather over the other two. Overall again Seattle. More compact, dense, surrounded by water, the best downtown of the three by far. Just love its vibe the most. As for Phoenix, I was there in May and it was unbearable. The heat, the traffic, not much foot traffic, lots of strip malls and just too sprawly.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:42 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
A person who liked BOTH Seattle and Phoenix? It'd be interesting to hear your perspective. The only nice thing I had to say about Phoenix after I left from doing business there for a few months on assignment was that land was cheap, cost of living was in general cheaper, and some of the people I met were nice. I really hated everything else about that place. Phoenix, IMHO, doesn't even approach Seattle in natural beauty. Now if you talk about stuff OUTSIDE of Phoenix, like the petrified forest and high desert forests to the north, the Grand Canyon, and Saguaro desert with their cacti, then you're onto something.

I just think they're different in every way. People in Seattle are a lot less gun-crazy and speed demons (to a fault). They're also more progressive and less racist.

I wouldn't live in Phoenix even if my position in my company required it - I'd quit. Being able to afford a three story home with garage and basement for $220k just isn't worth the cost of what you'd have to sacrifice in terms of quality of life, the activities, and the scenery.

Since I've never been to Denver, I cannot comment on it. Seemed nice when I drove through it.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
A person who liked BOTH Seattle and Phoenix? It'd be interesting to hear your perspective. The only nice thing I had to say about Phoenix after I left from doing business there for a few months on assignment was that land was cheap, cost of living was in general cheaper, and some of the people I met were nice. I really hated everything else about that place. Phoenix, IMHO, doesn't even approach Seattle in natural beauty. Now if you talk about stuff OUTSIDE of Phoenix, like the petrified forest and high desert forests to the north, the Grand Canyon, and Saguaro desert with their cacti, then you're onto something.

I just think they're different in every way. People in Seattle are a lot less gun-crazy and speed demons (to a fault). They're also more progressive and less racist.

I wouldn't live in Phoenix even if my position in my company required it - I'd quit. Being able to afford a three story home with garage and basement for $220k just isn't worth the cost of what you'd have to sacrifice in terms of quality of life, the activities, and the scenery.

Since I've never been to Denver, I cannot comment on it. Seemed nice when I drove through it.
Well, I like Phoenix for personal reasons (had my first girlfriend and first kiss there ) but I also feel that its very underrated on this site. In terms of feel, I didn't feel like it was that much drastically different in layout than the San Fernando Valley part of LA where I've lived most of my life. Of course, Phoenix lacks the beach, but the feel wasn't all that much different culturally from where I live in California.

I'd say you're right about Seattle and Phoenix being polar opposites, with Denver being somewhere in the middle (on almost ANY metric, from politics, ethnic diversity, weather, age etc.) I loved hiking on Camelback Mountain, South Mountain, Squaw Peak (now Piestwa Peak), and all the desert scenery within 30-45 minutes of downtown Phoenix. Of course, when you leave the metro area, scenery drastically improves. It also doesn't hurt that Sedona and Flagstaff are within 2 hours, and the Grand Canyon within 3 hours of Phoenix. I think Phoenix itself is making great strides in becoming a major tourist destination in itself, but this will take time. After all, the city pretty much grew in the past 30 years, unlike Seattle or Denver. However, they are all pretty much the same size nowadays.

I love all types of scenery; desert, mountains, forest. I'm pretty outdoorsy, so all three of these cities could fufill that need once I get a bit older.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM

253 posts, read 967,474 times
I live in the Seattle/Bellevue area and I wouldn't consider living in Phoenix (too much like Houston) but I might be ok with living in Denver if I wanted a slower pace. I think a Seattle vs Vancouver vs SF would have been more comparable...imo

Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I've only been to Phoenix once, but I know Seattle and Denver (live here) pretty well.

I would outright turn down any relocation to Phoenix. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life slowly (quickly?) frying. Other than that, I can't think of anything that would be positive (for me) about the place.

I was almost faced with the prospect of moving to Seattle, which really wouldn't have been anything new to me, since I spent 10 glorious summers in/around there as a boy. Seattle is beautiful, but I think I'd need a snowier winter to be completely happy there. There is something about the people there that kind of puts me off as well (they're "better" than me).

I've lived in Denver for almost three years. It's not perfect, but it has its merits. Just about anything you'd ever want to do can be found here, or close by. The weather here is nuts, but mostly in a good way. Cost-of-living is reasonable, traffic isn't too bad, it's not ugly, but the people could be a little more outgoing.

Denver is not the "bee's knees" (for me), but out of the three it is the most balanced IMO. It's my second-favoritest place that I've ever lived (and my wife's favorite).

Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
A person who liked BOTH Seattle and Phoenix? It'd be interesting to hear your perspective. .
Actually that's more common than you might think. There are tons of snow birds here in the Seattle area that winter in or around Phoenix.

Not a bad way to go. Especially come spring training.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Actually that's more common than you might think. There are tons of snow birds here in the Seattle area that winter in or around Phoenix.

Not a bad way to go. Especially come spring training.
Snowbirds from Seattle?

What snow?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Snowbirds from Seattle?

What snow?
You get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City