Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is The #1 Sports City in America?
Dallas 11 7.53%
Los Angeles 5 3.42%
New York 22 15.07%
Chicago 18 12.33%
Boston 38 26.03%
SF Bay 7 4.79%
Other 45 30.82%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,381,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Sure 18-1 sucks, but 3 superbowls before that helps ease the pain...and it looks like we are in pretty good shape this year too.

I'd make a joke about your local football team but...um...oh ya...
Haha, true story, but I was at a sports bar a few weekends ago and I saw this Boston transplant (obvious because he was wearing a Pats jersey) watching the Patriots game. I was drunk and said out loud "Wow, I hope the score is 18-1" then ducked my head to see the lulz ensue.

He came out screaming "WHO THE **** SAID THAT" while I was ducking away. Best drunk fun ever!

I voted for Boston in this poll. However, since Wiz Khalifa's song is stuck in my head, I have a sudden urge to jump on the Steelers bandwagon, but won't because that's what every single LA sports fan does (yeah, so much hometown pride you can find all 2 Clippers fans in the same seats)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePtoxDhJSw

Most people around here have NO clue what the song means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
haha I didn't realize what that song meant either...but at the same time I don't really listen to Wiz Khalifa either.

After the Pats lost that game I didn't watch ESPN for a month...seriously. But now I'm ok with it. Like I said before, it helped having 3 Superbowls prior to that haha. I don't know what I would have done if the Pats didn't have a Superbowl though.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
haha I didn't realize what that song meant either...but at the same time I don't really listen to Wiz Khalifa either.

After the Pats lost that game I didn't watch ESPN for a month...seriously. But now I'm ok with it. Like I said before, it helped having 3 Superbowls prior to that haha. I don't know what I would have done if the Pats didn't have a Superbowl though.
Well, look at it this way. At least your city has a team. We had 2, and lost them both within a week. How is that for getting owned?

Oh well, at least we have 2 MLS teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 NHL, and 2 MLB teams. Honestly though, the gear you see most people wearing around here are the Dodgers (way too common) and Lakers (common, but not as common as the former) gear, with a rare person wearing Angels gear. I usually go to sporting events if I have a free ticket, so I guess I'm included in the 'fairweather fan' club.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
haha I wouldn't worry about being a "fair weather fan". At least you're not losing years of your life following a team.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM

70 posts, read 111,027 times
Wow are these polls serious?!
Now I can tell people put the bay for really anything and not even be true. Thet just want to add it for the hell of it.
How could you add such a crappy city for sports over philly.

Philly: 1 (or 2) out of 3 boys who play sports go professional or play sports in college
There major sports figures from philly or outside Kobe,bernard hopkins,wilt,stevie williams, bam margera ect.
Philadelphia is that city where you see a lot of sports Basketball football baseball skateboarding hockey

Phillies went to world series
Flyers went after
Eagles are going this year
And pennsylvania might have the nations first In-state superbowl. (Steelers vs Eagles)
But back to philly
Adding nerdy places like san fran over philly is a big insult..

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsterling View Post

Philly: 1 (or 2) out of 3 boys who play sports go professional or play sports in college
slight exaggeration maybe

Old 12-20-2010, 07:15 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
And pennsylvania might have the nations first In-state superbowl. (Steelers vs Eagles)
Superbowl 29 was between the Niners and the Chargers.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You must be one of them aforementioned nerdy types, knowin' all yer geographies and such...

Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 PM

70 posts, read 111,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that is true

But let's change that into this century or in 60+ years

Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
haha I wouldn't worry about being a "fair weather fan". At least you're not losing years of your life following a team.
Man, you gotta admit that this past decade has been a real sweet one for Boston sports fans. What a spoiled sports team

Oh well, at least Boston's MLS team isn't championship winning..yet!

Is it just me, or does it seem like most Boston sports fans are Pats fans first, then Red Sox, then Celtics? What's the hierarchy over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City