Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 18,699 times

Advertisements

I got my PhD in Electrical engineering from Purdue a few years ago. I am specialized in avionics, microwave and software engineering. I was wondering if there's a good chance of getting a good job in UT? Well, pay is not that important. We're not looking for any kind of luxury enjoyment. I'm not LDS, but have no problem with them. I've lots of LDS friends though.
Education and crime problem are the things that worry us for the job in ABQ. Numbers seem to be pretty rough there, but how bad is it?
We are very family oriented. Either my wife or I can give up the job to stay with our kids. Are we more UT or NM type of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:48 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestPeace View Post
I got my PhD in Electrical engineering from Purdue a few years ago. I am specialized in avionics, microwave and software engineering. I was wondering if there's a good chance of getting a good job in UT? Well, pay is not that important. We're not looking for any kind of luxury enjoyment. I'm not LDS, but have no problem with them. I've lots of LDS friends though.
Education and crime problem are the things that worry us for the job in ABQ. Numbers seem to be pretty rough there, but how bad is it?
We are very family oriented. Either my wife or I can give up the job to stay with our kids. Are we more UT or NM type of people?
Look at the stats I posted above, crime sounds bad in NM. I crossed it off my list fast. Considering ABQ had almost twice as many murders as all of Utah, I don't see that as safe.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
I will say I was in Albuquerque last year for a conference and it did seem a bit seedy. I stayed on the west side in in the barrio, so perhaps I did not see the best of it.

You seem like Utah folk, but I have heard Provo is in a league of its own as far as LDS dominance. I certainly have nothing against LDS people, but when any group, especially a religious one, gets cultural dominance, it can get difficult for outsiders, especially children. I saw a great job there last year, and I scratched it off the list for that reason. The rest of Utah seems great however.

Frankly, as someone who grew up in a religious family and has pondered the nature of the universe my whole life, I have a profound respect for one's beliefs, and I even discuss these things with family and friend some times, but I find it very tedious to listen to some zombie with a high school education, hair gel, and a playbook reading me the recipe (any recipe). God doesn't need middlemen, IMHO.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
I got my PhD in Electrical engineering from Purdue a few years ago. I am specialized in avionics, microwave and software engineering. I was wondering if there's a good chance of getting a good job in UT?
I have an advanced degree in Engineering and 30 years of background in my field of Aerospace Science. Worked for the major airframe mfgrs, and umpteen years in Europe. When it was time to think about where to spend our last days, we choose Utah (as mentioned above).
When I was looking for work, I could not find anything for 8 months (1993).
When I filled out an application, I started to lie about my education and earned wages, because the HR people were snickering about my salary history. Finally found a decent low tech job in the upper percentile of the wage structure. Just sufficient for us to have the kids finish college.
Do you have a chance to find a good job ? Never know until you get here and try. Nobody here on this forum has jobs to give away !!!
You may find one, you may not find one at the salary offer from SNL.
When our boy graduated, he had Masters, and could not find anything here, because so many are willing to work for minimal wages.
He was offered the job at SNL, is doing great, and loves it.
The first few years, he was constantly traveling all over the world (he is also a polyglot).
Did not like it because of his kids, *complained* and was offered another position where he now only travels maybe four times a year ...
Which company does that ?

Quote:
Now there is a big factor to take into account.
Where my boy lives, we have not seen anything that suggests that he lives in a high crime area. But that maybe of the specific neighbourhood he lives in. Even in Salt Lake City, I would not live, or even be, in certain neighbourhoods, and I can do that, because I have no business there anyway, so I stay out of there. We often visit our boy in ABQ (married with 3 young children). Never felt that ABQ was a scary place to be in or around. Just my opinion.
When we visit there, I often query our grandkids, and it is my opinion that the education they receive there is rather good.

Quote:
You would do well in Utah, with your wife being the sole provider for a while. You WILL find something sooner or later.

The only reason I mentioned that SNL is a good choice, is because of my personal experience AND I have a son there.
When my son was hired in, the next guy with the shortest tenure after him, was 8 years !!!
Huh .... 8 years, they never laid off or fired anybody ????
From what I hear, it still is the norm there.
So .... for the future (and who does NOT think of that), SNL is a good place to be .... IF you can live with what the general consensus is about *safety*.

LBNL, SNL, just does not do one thing only. They have so many facets that it is easy to move all over that place without ever leaving SNL.
I do not know what my son *really* does ...
When I ask, he just says, *I work for the government* ....
Uhuh, I used to say the same thing ....
Geesj, with his clearance level, he may be able to just walk in and out of the White House without getting patted down all over ...
One bad thing about that is that even our neighbours wonder why strange people ask about us (his parents) once and a while ...

Still interested in ABQ ?? DM me.
Else get here to Utah and start looking.

Last edited by irman; 11-25-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 06:52 AM

9 posts, read 20,997 times
I've been living in Southern Utah for 2 1/2 years. Utah is extremely colorful and beautiful and filled with awesome slot canyons to explore. Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef rock!

Though I am sure Provo is a lot different than Cedar City, where I am now, you might want to be aware that 99.5% of the state is Mormon. It's hard to find non-Mormon friends. It's really hard to find a liquor store. But it's not hard to find a temple. Liquor stores are state-run. Religion and State are fused in Utah.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I suggest you read this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/utah/...unty-faqs.html. The OP is a respected member of City-Data who is quite measured in what he writes.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:25 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Personally, I'd chose New Mexico. But you have to understand that everyone has their own perspective. There are less of the things I don't like in New Mexico. My perspective. But you may feel just the opposite about those same points. For instance, the Wasatch Front more and more has a "California East" feel to it--not my thing. But then again, Albuquerque is no Utopia, either. If climate is any concern, Albuquerque will be a little drier, but slightly more moderated--similar summers on average and somewhat warmer winters on average. As for crime, CD shows Albuquerque to have a slightly lower crime rate right now than SLC. So much for the higher crime in Aluquerque, eh? But, Provo definitely has an edge in that regard. State average crime rates are meaningless--averaging crime for that large an area--an entire state--is an absolutely useless statistic.

About the "Mormon thing" (assuming you're not LDS): if you are the sort of person who constantly worries about everyone else's religion and lifestyle, you may have a problem with Provo. If you don't care how others run their lives and firmly believe it's their choice and none of your business, you'll be fine--that and knowing the phrase "no thanks," Moderator cut: not funny to many

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-26-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB222 View Post
Though I am sure Provo is a lot different than Cedar City, where I am now, you might want to be aware that 99.5% of the state is Mormon.
Holy Cow! That' is absolute nonsense! 70% of the state is Mormon -- not 99.5% and Salt Lake City only about 50%.Why would you make such an outlandish statement? Do you really think people are so stupid as to believe that kind of exaggeration?

Quote:
It's really hard to find a liquor store. But it's not hard to find a temple.
It's probably harder to find a liquor store in southern Utah than it is along the Wasatch Front, but it's also harder to find a temple. There are 130 operating temples worldwide now. I'm surprised you didn't try to tell people there are 400 in Utah alone.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-26-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 11:41 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,209,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Personally, I'd chose New Mexico. But you have to understand that everyone has their own perspective. There are less of the things I don't like in New Mexico. My perspective. But you may feel just the opposite about those same points. For instance, the Wasatch Front more and more has a "California East" feel to it--not my thing. But then again, Albuquerque is no Utopia, either. If climate is any concern, Albuquerque will be a little drier, but slightly more moderated--similar summers on average and somewhat warmer winters on average. As for crime, CD shows Albuquerque to have a slightly lower crime rate right now than SLC. So much for the higher crime in Aluquerque, eh? But, Provo definitely has an edge in that regard. State average crime rates are meaningless--averaging crime for that large an area--an entire state--is an absolutely useless statistic.

About the "Mormon thing" (assuming you're not LDS): if you are the sort of person who constantly worries about everyone else's religion and lifestyle, you may have a problem with Provo. If you don't care how others run their lives and firmly believe it's their choice and none of your business, you'll be fine--that and knowing the phrase "no thanks," Moderator cut: not funny to many
Nice try on the crime stats. Look at the actual crimes, SLC has higher theft rates but not violent crimes. ABQ has 10.6 murders per 100k people, SLC 1.3. 3 murders verses 56, no contest in my book.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Nice try on the crime stats. Look at the actual crimes, SLC has higher theft rates but not violent crimes. ABQ has 10.6 murders per 100k people, SLC 1.3. 3 murders verses 56, no contest in my book.
I didn't see "murder rate" mentioned originally. I only noticed "crime rate"...

As for murder rates, yes, there is a difference: .000106 compared to .000013 . I don't think I'd be overly paranoid about either rate. They are both pretty minuscule. And that is not taking into account that murders are seldom randomly committed. In most cases, murders are committed due to some sort of involvement in other crime or committed upon acquaintances (family, friends, or marriages turned sour, gang-related, drug-related, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City