Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times

Advertisements

While I know that Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah are largely arid, I can visualize many interesting mountain ranges and microclimates in each state. All three have very impressive landscape diversity, which I find appealing. Interestingly, even Oregon, my home state, is largely semiarid by area. Not the westside, of course, or the higher parts of the Blue Mtns., but fully 2/3s of the state is semidesert/ steppe. Taken as a whole, all four states are kaleidoscopes of ecosystems and scenery. So, your perspective depends upon how you use/experience your state. If you only intend to stay in the Rio Grande Valley below 5,000', sure NM is definitely pretty arid (but that can be beautiful too, google the Organ Mtns., white sands,etc.) , but if you intend to hike in the spruce-fir and aspen forest of the San Juan and Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the Sacramentos, and Gilas, ski Taos, flyfish the Chama or upper Pecos, trail run in the Valle Grande, or take the kids hiking and exploring ancient cultures in Bandelier NM, you can find many amazing spots. Also, New Mexico gets some epic monsoon thunderstorms, which I love, but which are perhaps not so impressive for a Midwest dude. And if you add in trips to the San Juans near Durango in SW Colorado, world class mountains and rivers.

As an aside, and not to cap on ChrisC, I take issue with the description of "sagebrush-choked wastelands" above for Utah or anywhere in the Intermountain West. Just because one does not appreciate the subtle beauty of arid landscapes does not make them wastelands. Sagegrouse, wild horses, pronghorn, eagle, coyote, cougar, sagebrush lizards, meadowlarks, yellow-headed blackbirds, Bonneville cutthroat trout, bighorn sheep,marmots, kit fox, leopard frogs, and a whole lot of other species swim along just fine in the Sagebrush Ocean. And I think the smell of sagebrush after a thunderstorm is one of God's gifts to the West.

To a newcomer from afar, like MidWestPeace and family, I would further pontificate that I do not think one should expect the landscape to conform to their preconceptions, but should instead focus on learning about and embracing it on its own terms. A wonderful learning journey. To paraphrase Ed Abbey, neither Utah nor New Mexico landscapes need any defense, just more defenders. (steps off soapbox...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugisnaks101 View Post
So....This question is for Lobo....My Husband and I want to move our small family to Rio Rancho Albuquerque NM...from Anahiem Ca....The cost of living in CA is crazy.....compaired to NM costs of living....so would it be a wise choice to relocate to NM from CA? My Husband needs a break from the hustle and bustle of the cities here in CA.....I ask you because you seem to know a lot more with out being to critical.....thanx.
I can say that the cost of living here is far less than in California. Other than that, you'd have to consider job prospects and the things you like that this area has to offer vs the things you'd be missing. Make a list of pros and cons. If you can come out for a visit to look around, that would probably answer a lot of your questions.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,774 times
To be honest since I have lived in both places each state offers many charms. I am sure Utah is divearse, however being in utah county I have not seen much of it. New Mexico is very divearse pretty much through out the whole state, the schools are fairly good. Sandia labs is a good place to work for and 100,000 is a very good income in New Mexico. I do not know if you are LDS New Mexico has a good number of LDS if that is a preferance. Then again crime is high in New Mexico you just need to be smart and aware of what is around you. Utah has almost no crime, if you choose to live in the heart of Utah county it can take time to getting used to, its a good place to live though. Really check out the schools your children will be attending if you live there they are kind of hit and miss. The teachers do what they can with what they have They really need more. I really do not have any bad things to say about either place, if you can you should visit each place for about a week and get a feel for it. Both are beautiful in there owne way and both are good places to live(I am home sick now)

Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
but, as I said above, are largely desert.
Maybe *deserted* would be a better description ... ?

We very often fly (recreational) north and south of I-70, and that is pretty deserted there.
I-70 = the longest stretch of hiway with out anything,
no phone, no nuthin, may be two reststops ....
But the landscape ... ????

Indescribable !!!
24 July 2009 flight trip | Facebook

Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM

350 posts, read 768,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyw View Post

All my comments are with basis and references. As you can see, I don't just write something with numbers out of nowhere. All with public references.

Well, some may still argue that the statistics are biased, incorrectly interpreted…..etc. Of course there are different statistic results.
It’s like college rankings, there are reasons that why Harvard is often ranked among the tops, although many may not agree with that result.
Again, you can Google it and interpret yourself. (By the way, I would like to stick with some major sources, not just with one guys personal opinions - including mine. The major statistics have basis. That's my point. They can't just publish some results without any basis.)
Stats are good, but don't really give people a great gut-indication of what it's like to live somewhere. If you re-read my response, you'll notice I've actually spent a considerable amount of time in both places. I'm trying to give these people - who are coming from almost the exact location I came from - a good overall picture of what it's going to be like if they're actually living in either area.

I would never move somewhere based on some random stats I pulled off a website. Stats are easy to find, educated opinions on relatively obscure regions/cities aren't.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:38 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times
I'd much rather live in New Mexico

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
I'm originally from Orem (right next to Provo) and couldn't wait to move out of Utah County. Didn't fit in with the predominant religious influence of that area. My sister got married and moved to Albuquerque in 1980. She loves it there. Her husband has worked at Sandia since they moved there. They have raised 3 kids there. They love the climate and like being away from the LDS influence.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
My sister moved to Albuquerque in 1980. They have raised 3 kids there.
After so many years, they are still there ....
Can't be as bad as *they* (who is *they* anyway ???) claim, no ???
Her hubby still works for Sandia ????
He must love it too there, working so long for them !!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Yes they have no plans to move--even after retirement. He's a workaholic, rarely takes time off.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,774 times
I miss New Mexico specially around Christmas time,both are good places to live you just need to find your niche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City