Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Funny I lived in Austin 3 yrs ago and didn't like it much. I moved to Houston and LOVED it, and I know many people who did too. Look at the Houston Boom thread and see how many people moved here and absolutely fell in love with it.

People fall in love with it for things you would not expect. I have heard people who got tired of snow comment how they love the weather, others like the food variety, others like the economy, my microbiology professor loved the variety and prices of homes, others like the diversity.

I think it is a personal taste thing if you love Houston or Austin. I have met people who moved from one to the other and I have met many who run back from one or the other.

Same with the other cities. Some go for Dallas others go for San Antonio.
I've never met anyone in person who's from Austin that LOVES Houston. In fact, most of the time it's the other way around. All of the things you said make it a likable city but, with the exception of the economy, you can find all that in almost every major city in the South and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I've never met anyone in person who's from Austin that LOVES Houston. In fact, most of the time it's the other way around. All of the things you said make it a likable city but, with the exception of the economy, you can find all that in almost every major city in the South and California.
Quite honestly I've had the same experiences. Except for my brother and sister.... they hate Austin, but I understand why.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:

well, I have met them.

I found Austin to be quite expensive for what I was getting and in comparison to other southern cities.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:25 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Yes you are correct San Antonio's is not titled a district yet, but the city is working on forming one. Houston has the upper hand in that sense but as far as cultural venues and the number of theatre seats concentrated in a downtown area San Antonio has more now, by several thousand.

Aztec Theatre
Majestic
Alameda Latin Performing Arts Center.
The Charlene Mc Combs Empire
Lila Crockrell Theatre
Magik Theatre
Beethovan Hall
Municipal/Tobin Center Performing Arts center UC
Scotish Rite
Arneson River Theatre

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Quite honestly I've had the same experiences. Except for my brother and sister.... they hate Austin, but I understand why.
now I know where the brains went in the family

Old 12-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Yes you are correct San Antonio's is not titled a district yet, but the city is working on forming one. Houston has the upper hand in that sense but as far as cultural venues and the number of theatre seats concentrated in a downtown area San Antonio has more now, by several thousand.

Aztec Theatre
Majestic
Alameda Latin Performing Arts Center.
The Charlene Mc Combs Empire
Lila Crockrell Theatre
Magik Theatre
Beethovan Hall
Municipal/Tobin Center Performing Arts center UC
Scotish Rite
Arneson River Theatre

Anyway dude, the theaters are exceptionally pretty, SA is good about preserving beautiful buildings. but this is way of track from what the other two were arguing about.

The arguments were about Theater districts, of which Houston has the second highest concentration of seats. If other cities would just add up the number of Theater seats in their City I doubt SA would even crack the top 30 on that list. furthermore, no award winning performances spring from there. Its not just having the seats that make an arts scene. Houston Theater district performances have won various awards.

San Antonio theaters are used most often for special events

Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
well, I have met them.

I found Austin to be quite expensive for what I was getting and in comparison to other southern cities.
That depends on the neighborhood you live in. If you live inside the Loop in the center of the city, it can get pretty pricey. If you move out to Katy, than yes. If you don't mind living in a big, cookie-cutter, mass produced house in a monotonous suburban neighborhood, than yes, you can find a nicely sized house for a good price. I for one, wouldn't give up my little two-bedroom apartment inside the Loop for some McMansion in suburbia not matter how cheap the neighborhood is.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Houston Performance Awards:
Emmy Awards
Hitting the High Cs, Marion Kessell and Rick Christie, 1998
Nixon in China, John Adams and Alice Goodman, 1987
Grammy Awards
Nixon in China, John Adams and Alice Goodman, 1987
Porgy and Bess, George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward, 1976
Tony Awards
Grand Prix du Disques

More than two million people visit the Houston Theater District annually.
The Houston Grand Opera is the only opera company in the U.S. to win a Grammy, a Tony, and an Emmy.
In 2007, Da Camera of Houston was awarded the CMAcclaim Award from Chamber Music America, for significant contribution to the cultural life of its region.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
That depends on the neighborhood you live in. If you live inside the Loop in the center of the city, it can get pretty pricey. If you move out to Katy, than yes. If you don't mind living in a big, cookie-cutter, mass produced house in a monotonous suburban neighborhood, than yes, you can find a nicely sized house for a good price. I for one, wouldn't give up my little two-bedroom apartment inside the Loop for some McMansion in suburbia not matter how cheap the neighborhood is.
no only the north west quadrant and some specific other neighborhoods in the loop are expensive. that Houston loop is pricey thing is overblown. only one quadrant is uniformly pricey.

There are huge mansions where I live, within the loop less than two miles from downtown for under 250K.

where are you getting this all the way in Katy thing from?? I am not being facetious or anything I really want to know

Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Anyway dude, the theaters are exceptionally pretty, SA is good about preserving beautiful buildings. but this is way of track from what the other two were arguing about.

The arguments were about Theater districts, of which Houston has the second highest concentration of seats. If other cities would just add up the number of Theater seats in their City I doubt SA would even crack the top 30 on that list. furthermore, no award winning performances spring from there. Its not just having the seats that make an arts scene. Houston Theater district performances have won various awards.

San Antonio theaters are used most often for special events

Will the city had a love affair with building them in the 1920's? Special events? You mean touring broadway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City