Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Agreed man, I can't stand the bashing and if any place doesn't deserve it, it's New York City. Your a positive poster which is great but remember that this site is meant for relentless discussion as long as it stays cordial, on topic, and is not overly redundant. I also agree that when discussing the typical urban criteria, NYC wins by a mile in almost any comparison. However, I still find great value in the competition exchanged among those wishing to see their cities become more like our nations premier urban destination.
It cant be done dude. I found out in my 3rd month on this site that it is not mature enough for everyone to get along and have intellectual discussions.

I find myself having to clue people in on what color the roads look like in their own neighborhoods sometimes. That is not supposed to be the case here.

Here take a look at this:
Atlanta vs New York City: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...york-city.html
The result? Atlanta got BLASTED like no tomorrow
Chicago vs New York City: See this thread as a reference of whats been done 10000000 times already
Los Angeles vs New York City: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-new-york.html
Los Angeles got MURDERED like no tomorrow
San Francisco vs New York City: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-greater.html
No one bashed San Francisco in that thread though, in my opinion the most overrated city on this site (not real life), and everyone else apparently gets bashed for it. I call that double standard at its best.

Yeah there are aspects of any city that can compare to any other city, but we're not at that level yet here on City-Data. We're not at the comprehensible level to maturely understand that yet here.

I think everyone here knows that a city of 22,000,000 people in 6,000 square miles (Sorry Los Angeles but 17,000,000 in 32,000,000 miles doesn't cut it) and an economy of $1.46 Trillion is obviously going to be beyond more than just "a bit ahead" of the very next competitor. But that doesn't mean that someone cant pick another place to live above it.

But on City-Data of course the understanding is, if its against New York City, then anyone with a mind shouldn't want to live there. And it's not even the New Yorkers that live there that advocate things like that, its these hacks that live in other places that say things like that and New Yorkers get the full blame for it.

I defend New York City a lot, I like New York City a lot, but these threads shouldn't exist in the first place. In my opinion, cities shouldn't be compared to New York City not because New York City is the stronger city in most ways (because it is) but because this site doesn't have the maturity to handle a comparison like that. If its which is the most powerful city between these two: Hands down New York City by a mile. But where people want to live? Why the hell is everyone getting so worked up here? State where you want to live and move on.

My answer for this thread: Manhattan > The Loop Chicago > Brooklyn > every other part of the other cities. I would take Manhattan first, I want to live there first because I already do in The Loop of Chicago, so its something I am already used too. Change in scenery and setting would be a new experience, and I'm up for that.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Why would anyone want to compare their city to New York City? Is it from lack of knowledge about the city's stature or based on the ignorance of not having been there?

If no one has bashed San Francisco in this comparison, then let me say this: San Francisco is a small inexperienced boy compared to the mighty giant that is New York City. Done, glad to have gotten that over with. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-09-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Yeah I wouldn't compare New York City to anything else in the country to be frank. Whether the reason is that other cities get bashed or whether the reason is that because any set criteria (besides the subjective ones) set will go in favor of New York City and that is mostly factual on an overall basis. New York City by bulk size and engineering has a good edge over everyone else.

I personally think any comparison to New York City is illogical for various reasons and should not be done. And anyone who has seen all of New York City and knows all of Los Angeles, Washington DC, Chicago, & San Francisco will know not to compare them to New York City either. And if my city were compared to New York City, I wouldn't even open the thread and forget about it and let it die off.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
And it's not even the New Yorkers that live there that advocate things like that, its these hacks that live in other places that say things like that and New Yorkers get the full blame for it.
They create the image, we're notoriously known for.

I do hope people on C-D realize this is a forum, on the internet - And don't let people create bad images of NYC for them. I love my city but sometimes people who claim to be "Natives" or "Born here". . . (which doesn't really count) screw it up for the people, who are REAL natives.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 PM

301 posts, read 639,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Los Angeles vs New York City: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-new-york.html
Los Angeles got MURDERED like no tomorrow
why do you continue to defend that dump? its third world, run by an illegal immigrant mayor, illegals drug smuggling, impoverished, hellhole. compare that suburban wasteland to its peer Pyongyang, North Korea and East St. Louis, IL before comparing to NY

I prefer NY but if I had to live any where else it the country it would be CHI or SF

Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
why do you continue to defend that dump? its third world, run by an illegal immigrant mayor, illegals drug smuggling, impoverished, hellhole. compare that suburban wasteland to its peer Pyongyang, North Korea and East St. Louis, IL before comparing to NY
Dude whatever, I seriously don't care about where the mayor of Los Angeles is from and what he does. I don't live in Los Angeles and probably wont, so it doesn't matter to me.

I stated my preference for Manhattan in this thread, I still want to find out about some cool neighborhoods there though. I think TriBeCa is probably my favorite one so far. But I am curious if there is anything better.

I love Chicago, but I do plan on living in Manhattan at some point after grad school and get a feel for New York City. I've actually been waiting for a long time for New York City but always told myself its some place I'd much rather be after grad School.

My dad grew up in New York City and he hated it, he preferred Washington DC most. So I am curious to experience it, and get to develop my own opinion for it.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Its not that Chicago is inferior, it is just not on the level of New York City.
I agree Chicago cannot be compared to NYC. This is a silly thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why would anyone want to compare their city to New York City? Is it from lack of knowledge about the city's stature or based on the ignorance of not having been there?

If no one has bashed San Francisco in this comparison, then let me say this: San Francisco is a small inexperienced boy compared to the mighty giant that is New York City. Done, glad to have gotten that over with. :-)
Yeah making a comparison to NYC is imprudent. NYC is the best city in the world.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:07 PM

381 posts, read 842,298 times
Claiming that NYC is the best city in the world is imprudent.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
Please give that statement to cnbc
News Headlines

Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
You're getting trolled hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City