Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said San Francisco didn't; I said Dallas.
So Dallas doesnt have a significant economy. What is that whole $380 billion figure? A lie perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
So Dallas doesnt have a significant economy. What is that whole $380 billion figure? A lie perhaps?
Is that suppose to be impressive??? It's one of the largest cities and located in the 4th largest metropolitan area in the country. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Is that suppose to be impressive??? It's one of the largest cities and located in the 4th largest metropolitan area in the country. I wouldn't expect anything less.
Its not supposed to drop your jaw, but its worthy of respect nonetheless. Its the 6th largest economy in the US. Thats pretty significant.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Fair enough, the article you posted heavily implies:

1) DFW has a more diverse economy than Houston
2) DFW and Houston's economies dont overlap virtually at all
3) Houstons economy is more international, DFW's is national

Though DFW is too important to simply be just reigional. At very least, it would be national. But there are lots of international industires here as well, just not to the degree of Houston.
you must have read the wrong article.

It clearly states that

1.) Houston's is more diverse having one more sector than Dallas, although it had 3 less than SA; it is also more diverse on a grade scale based on sectors that transcend the region.

2.) Houston and Dallas's sectors overlap more than the other two metros. Clearly clearly clearly. I dunno what article you read.

3.) It simply showed that DFW was important to the region, while Houston was more important than DFW outside the region.

DFW may have international businesses, but I dunno if it adds up to an industry.

I may open a cookie factory, and it may be extremely successful, but that would not mean that Houston has a cookie industry. It may just mean that Houston people love my cookies.

Every last city's business bureau claims their city has a diverse economy, and they are all right. At some level all economies are diverse. It is Diverse on a global scale that sets all of them apart, and frankly Dallas does not have many global industries. But props to y'all for making all of City data think so.

I wonder how many things about Dallas that people have been taking like scripture, that isn't totally grounded in fact, but simply overplayed in the media and repeated so often that in y'alls minds it became fact.

what are y'all teaching those kids in north Texas? No wonder poor Lada thinks that Dallas is up there with Paris and Milan for Fashion.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I never said San Francisco didn't; I said Dallas.

Btw, I'm not agreeing with the list and do think Dallas has one of the most diverse economies in the country, but my purpose was that while it has a diverse economy; it's not significant like Chicago or Boston. It be one thing if Dallas was a leader or at least a key player in multiple sectors, but it's really not.
see, they even have you fooled. Go look at the article written by their own reserve bank in Dallas. They are diverse locally.

In Fact on a local level San Antonio is the most diverse, and Austin the least.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Belgium (where I often go) = 10.2 million inhabitants = $370 billions
Dallas-Fort Worth = 6.5 million inhabitants = $380 billions

It's impressive, think about it.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Its not supposed to drop your jaw, but its worthy of respect nonetheless. Its the 6th largest economy in the US. Thats pretty significant.
Seeing how DFW's economy is on par with Iran's I would say it is impressive.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
By Economic Output of Our US Metros (MSA's) Against Other Countries (January 2010 GDP's):
01. United States of America- $14.4 Trillion
02. Japan- $4.88 Trillion
03. China- $4.32 Trillion
04. Germany- $3.6 Trillion
05. France- $2.84 Trillion
06. United Kingdom- $2.65 Trillion
07. Italy- $2.29 Trillion
08. Russia- $1.67 Trillion
09. Spain- $1.59 Trillion
10. Brazil- $1.57 Trillion
11. Canada- $1.49 Trillion
12. New York City- $1.46 Trillion
13. India- $1.22 Trillion
14. Mexico- $1.08 Trillion
15. Australia- $989 Billion
16. South Korea- $930 Billion
17. Netherlands- $871 Billion
18. Turkey- $726 Billion
19. Los Angeles $717 Billion
20. Poland- $528 Billion
21. Chicago- $520 Billion
22. Indonesia- $510 Billion
23. Belgium- $503 Billion
24. Switzerland- $500 Billion
25. Sweden- $478 Billion
26. Saudi Arabia- $468 Billion
27. Norway- $449 Billion
28. Austria- $412 Billion
29. Houston- $407 Billion
30. Taiwan- $402 Billion
31. Washington DC- $395 Billion
32. Venezuela- $389 Billion
33. Dallas-Fort Worth- $379 Billion
34. Iran- $362 Billion
35. Greece- $349 Billion
36. Denmark- $340 Billion
37. Philadelphia- $331 Billion
38. Argentina- $326 Billion
39. San Francisco-Oakland- $310 Billion
40. Boston- $299 Billion

I think its impressive how Dallas-Fort Worth beats out 180 countries on this planet in terms of Economic Output (GDP). One Metropolitan Area beats 180 countries on the planet Earth.
Quote:
33rd largest economy in the world by output (GDP), beating out some 180 countries in the process. I would say that's somewhat jaw dropping.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you must have read the wrong article.

It clearly states that

1.) Houston's is more diverse having one more sector than Dallas, although it had 3 less than SA; it is also more diverse on a grade scale based on sectors that transcend the region.

2.) Houston and Dallas's sectors overlap more than the other two metros. Clearly clearly clearly. I dunno what article you read.

3.) It simply showed that DFW was important to the region, while Houston was more important than DFW outside the region.

what are y'all teaching those kids in north Texas? No wonder poor Lada thinks that Dallas is up there with Paris and Milan for Fashion.
Perhaps you need to go back and re-read it. The conclusion says:

"Conclusion
The Texas Triangle cities developed as economic complements, providing unique goods to the other Triangle cities and importing goods that represented strength elsewhere. Why is this important? First, it means that the Texas Triangle is in fact a megalopolis in the sense that we can add the pieces together with a minimum of duplication. It is spread over a triangular area of roughly 250 miles on each side. Second, it implies that despite traditional rivalries and competition among these cities, especially Houston and Dallas, they don’t really overlap much in their economic roles. We could isolate only a few areas where meaningful rivalry might take place—oil and gas extraction and semiconductors (Austin and Dallas) and heavy construction (San Antonio and Houston)."

You are misreading the data it seems. In point one the data you point to is the number of export industries.

As for diversity, go read the discriptions of DFW and Houston in the article:

Dallas/Fort Worth’s important distribution role shows up in wholesale trade, transportation services and transportation by air. Its role in finance is seen in insurance and in depository and nondepository institutions. It maintains one foot in oil (oil and gas extraction) and one in tech (electronic and electrical equipment).

In Houston, we see oil’s dominance in oil and gas extraction, chemicals, refining (petroleum and coal products), pipelines, and backward linkages from oil into manufacturing through industrial machinery and equipment. Heavy construction and engineering and management services are closely tied to construction of large chemical and refining facilities.

How would you interpret these two paragraphs?

Your third point I agree with.

As for your last statement, I can see your only goal is to try and get people on CD to think that people in Dallas are delusiounal. People here dont think for a moment that we are like Paris or Milan. I guess if you can keep saying it over and over, maybe people will think we are like that. But we arent.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

As for your last statement, I can see your only goal is to try and get people on CD to think that people in Dallas are delusiounal.
You really think that you guys are not delusional???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City